Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Detective 1000

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Who would you include?
    Dixon, Nolan, and Grant to name a few.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Yes, Rucka, I think he would have made a very story. I hope this is as good as DC has hyped it up to be...

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Let's see who's on board for #1000:
    * Medieval,” by Peter J. Tomasi and Doug Mahnke
    * “Batman’s Longest Case,” by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo
    * “Manufacture for Use,” by Kevin Smith and Jim Lee
    * “The Legend of Knute Brody” by Paul Dini, Dustin Nguyen, Derek Fridolfs and John Kalisz
    * “The Batman’s Design” by Warren Ellis and Becky Cloonan
    * “Return to Crime Alley” by Denny O’Neil and Steve Epting
    * “Heretic” by Christopher Priest and Neal Adams
    * “I Know” by Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev
    * “The Last Crime in Gotham” by Geoff Johns and Kelley Jones
    * “The Precedent” by James Tynion IV and Alvaro Martinez
    * “Batman’s Greatest Case” by Tom King, Tony Daniel and Joëlle Jones
    above information from https://previewsworld.com/Article/22...ve-Comics-1000

I would have liked to have seen John Layman; Francis Manapul and/or Brian Buccellato; and Greg Rucka (among others), though I don't know if any of them were approached / would have been willing to contribute.
    I really didn't like anything Layman did for Batman during the n52. His Batman Eternal stuff wasn't as bad as Ray Fawkes, but it was the second weakest of the writing team.

Manpul and Buccellato would be pretty good - their Tec run is probably my favorite (though it's a very lukewarm favorite) part of that title during that era.

Rucka absolutely. Especially if it were a Sasha Bordeaux story, though it almost certainly would be a Batwoman story instead.

Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    Those would be really great, but sadly not likely to happen. (Much rather have them than Kevin Smith, nice guy though he is.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I was pretty surprised Dixon didn’t get in on it. I would’ve liked to see that, I’m a big fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    I was pretty surprised Dixon didn’t get in on it. I would’ve liked to see that, I’m a big fan.
    Yeah, a shame really.

I don't think Dixon's cape and cowl of choice is black these days.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I don't think Dixon's cape and cowl of choice is black these days.
    Bane Conquest was just last year, granted that was started before Chuck signed on for Alt-Hero. Chuck is still even listed on DC's Creators page on their site.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.

Grant turned it down stating that like with superman he's told all the stories he wants to tell with the characters right now. Which I can respect. if you're not inspired you're not inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Grant turned it down stating that like with superman he's told all the stories he wants to tell with the characters right now. Which I can respect. if you're not inspired you're not inspired.
    Alan Grant, not Morrison.

Alan Grant, not Morrison.
    was wondering why the one 1st name and no clue who Alan Grant is

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    was wondering why the one 1st name and no clue who Alan Grant is
    He did 37 issues of Detective, 82 issues of Shadow of the Bat, 22 issues of Batman. Tons of Batman one shots. Co-creator of Anarky, Zsasz, and the Ventriliquist.

I won't be attending, but this is a big thing for them. I don't recall anything like this for Action.

I'm pretty excited because I love the short comic story format. I'd buy books like this with some regularity if they released them more often. I just think it's fun to see what a writer/artist can do with a more limited setting. They often force creators to be a little more creative and they harken back to the classic days where some characters only got a few pages in anthologies.

That said, I do wish some more "classic" Bat writers would be put on this. It's nice to see Denny, but besides him and Dini (and Kevin Smith, but I don't really count him... big fan though), every other writer is actively writing for DC right now and most have written Batman within the last few years. I'd love to see Dixon (as much as we disagree politically), Grant, Englehart, Grant Morrison, Matt Wagner, Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale, ... how much damage could Frank Miller do in 6 pages?

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

DETECTIVE COMICS # 1000 doesn't feel as historic as ACTION COMICS # 1000 because, after all, Batman didn't become the star of the book until # 27 (whereas Superman was the headliner in ACTION COMICS right from the beginning), but I suppose they couldn't do a DETECTIVE COMICS # 1000 featuring stories about Fu Manchu.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    I'm pretty excited because I love the short comic story format. I'd buy books like this with some regularity if they released them more often. I just think it's fun to see what a writer/artist can do with a more limited setting. They often force creators to be a little more creative and they harken back to the classic days where some characters only got a few pages in anthologies.

That said, I do wish some more "classic" Bat writers would be put on this. It's nice to see Denny, but besides him and Dini (and Kevin Smith, but I don't really count him... big fan though), every other writer is actively writing for DC right now and most have written Batman within the last few years. I'd love to see Dixon (as much as we disagree politically), Grant, Englehart, Grant Morrison, Matt Wagner, Jeph Loeb/Tim Sale, ... how much damage could Frank Miller do in 6 pages?
    But they do release this format more often! The holiday specials are pretty much exactly this on a quarterly basis. (The Walmart books are sort of like this, but they have full comic issues, so it's not really short stories, plus those are all heavily serialized).

I think Frank Miller is working on a bunch of stuff for Black Label - the Superman Year One, plus Carrie Kelley, and an unannounced project, and he seems to be a very slow worker, so I wouldn't want to distract him (I'm so excited for Superman Year One). I'm pretty against Loeb's writing, but if it got Tim Sale to do a short story, I'd be excited (so bummed that Cooke died - his stuff with Sale was so much better). Sale is doing one of the decade variants, though.

It is kinda weird that they got Warren Ellis and not Grant Morrison. Wagner is almost certainly still cranky with DC because of the issue with his son being replaced as colorist.

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    DETECTIVE COMICS # 1000 doesn't feel as historic as ACTION COMICS # 1000 because, after all, Batman didn't become the star of the book until # 27 (whereas Superman was the headliner in ACTION COMICS right from the beginning), but I suppose they couldn't do a DETECTIVE COMICS # 1000 featuring stories about Fu Manchu.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Oh, there's almost certainly going to be some kind of "celebratory" issue 1027 in a year.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord