Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Detective 1000

  1. #31
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    8,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Your negativity is annoying Majorhoy

    This issue has literally every awesome creator and artist you could think of, yet its not for you? Ok GTFO
    PASS because a book like this would be available at a lower price if one chooses to WAIT.

    Especially when you have Midtowncomics running around with various sales. So yeah waiting would benefit unless there is a cover you really wanted.

    Funny 33 covers and no one is attacking them for it. I guess you need a Marvel logo to get bashed for variants.

  2. #32
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Especially when you have Midtowncomics running around with various sales. So yeah waiting would benefit unless there is a cover you really wanted.

    Funny 33 covers and no one is attacking them for it. I guess you need a Marvel logo to get bashed for variants.
    I don't think the Decade variants are annoying, because they're all the same price, and there's no cost to the store to order them. The arguments against variant covers have mostly been about making the ability to order a variant cover contingent on ordering more copies of a comic than you normally would (thus more copies than you think you can sell) just to get the variant, leading to a cost to the store, usually passed onto the customer in a markup. The store-exclusive variants are more expensive because any store who requests an exclusive variant does need to order a large number of normal copies, but no store has to request an exclusive variant.

    Of course, there's also the people who hate variants for lots of reasons - it's not done by the person who does interiors, it has nothing to do with what's inside the comics, etc. I don't see any company based attacks for those reasons.

    I personally am planning to only get one copy of 1000 on release day - the Capullo variant - and then get the hardcover Deluxe edition to match my Deluxe edition of Action 1000. That way I get all the covers for a fraction of the cost (though I am sorely tempted by the awesomeness of the trade dress details on the decade variants).
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  3. #33
    Incredible Member Slim Shady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    8 Mile
    Posts
    623

    Default

    I don’t see anything wrong with that many variants for this, it’s issue #1000. That doesn’t happen everyday and won’t happen that much again if ever.

    I am a little disappointed in the decades variants once you get past the 50s. With the exception of the Frank Miller one, there’s really not much that separates them from each other.

  4. #34
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,532

    Default

    Everyone has their preferences for variants. I do think it's kind of sad that there isn't more stuff with the Batfamily, since so many of them have had great stories in Detective Comics in the past 999 issues, but it's still pretty cool!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  5. #35
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Your negativity is annoying Majorhoy

    This issue has literally every awesome creator and artist you could think of, yet its not for you? Ok GTFO
    By the way, I did decide to buy an issue (chose the Steve Rude / 1930s cover):


    Overall, while I loved that cover, I was not very impressed with the stories inside.
    (Probably should have waited to see if I could later get it for less $.)

  6. #36
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,316

    Default

    I was late getting to the not so local comics store, so I had to settle for the one standard cover and not the one I would have chosen if I had the option. But which others I would have taken I'm not sure. It seems silly to spend so much money on multiple covers when you can just find them on the internet for free.

    The thing I miss is having a special text page feature. I imagine most people would prefer to have more pictures, but I would like to have some editorial content where you have someone actually talking about the history of the title in the comic. It feels much more interactive that way.
    There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run,
    When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun,
    Long before the white man and long before the wheel,
    When the green dark forest was too silent to be real.

  7. #37
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was late getting to the not so local comics store, so I had to settle for the one standard cover and not the one I would have chosen if I had the option. But which others I would have taken I'm not sure. It seems silly to spend so much money on multiple covers when you can just find them on the internet for free.

    The thing I miss is having a special text page feature. I imagine most people would prefer to have more pictures, but I would like to have some editorial content where you have someone actually talking about the history of the title in the comic. It feels much more interactive that way.
    I think DC was hoping that people who want more of a text/history approach will get the 80 Years of Detective Comics book.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  8. #38
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I think DC was hoping that people who want more of a text/history approach will get the 80 Years of Detective Comics book.
    Well, sure. And I plan on getting that book. But you could make the same argument that you don't need to put this content in a book when people can find it on the internet. My feeling is I like to have a thing that's self-contained. Ten years from now, when I pick up that comic I want that content in there--not somewhere else that I have to go looking for. I always felt a lot more invested in the comics when they had pages where the editors addressed the readers--it felt more like a two-way street and I wasn't being served the stories cold.
    There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run,
    When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun,
    Long before the white man and long before the wheel,
    When the green dark forest was too silent to be real.

  9. #39
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    10,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well, sure. And I plan on getting that book. But you could make the same argument that you don't need to put this content in a book when people can find it on the internet. My feeling is I like to have a thing that's self-contained. Ten years from now, when I pick up that comic I want that content in there--not somewhere else that I have to go looking for. I always felt a lot more invested in the comics when they had pages where the editors addressed the readers--it felt more like a two-way street and I wasn't being served the stories cold.
    Interesting. I can see that - I personally miss letter pages more - but I think that DC providing both the 80 Years and the 1000 volumes is something for everyone. I think the 1000 issue is a fun celebration, even if not all the stories are winners for me, and that's what I wanted - a big fat book that felt like a party.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, by Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown, Batgirl, by Bryan Q. Miller
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews

  10. #40
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,316

    Default

    With the letter pages, there usually was an editor or an assistant editor responding to the letters. It didn't please me if the page just had letters and no responses. But in general some amount of text in a comic book made me feel better, that there were people there on the other side who were just as interested in the comic book as me. And I feel much more connected to those comics books, to this day.
    There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run,
    When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun,
    Long before the white man and long before the wheel,
    When the green dark forest was too silent to be real.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •