Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I agree I just try to thing of Presidents who were very effective and who left long lasting positive impacts.
    Yes. I expect opinions to differ. I am more curious about what others think than have a firm idea about this.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

I agree I just try to thing of Presidents who were very effective and who left long lasting positive impacts.
    This is where it gets complicated. Presidents have to balance unavoidable expediency of the moment against "The Pyramids" for which they'd like to be remembered. And even the best thing is they attempt don't always come true.

Obama's presidency, for example, will always be important for two reasons: unmistakable entry of the formerly disenfranchised to the heights of power, and the offer of healthcare as a universal right. It may not be remembered as a great presidency because The ACA has proven guttable, the reaction to his administration has been so severe, and The Western World seemed to pretty much fall apart about 15 minutes after he left office (that last bit isn't his fault, but history will ask why this President did not leave a more robust structure behind).

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    This is where it gets complicated. Presidents have to balance unavoidable expediency of the moment against "The Pyramids" for which they'd like to be remembered. And even the best thing is they attempt don't always come true.

Obama's presidency, for example, will always be important for two reasons: unmistakable entry of the formerly disenfranchised to the heights of power, and the offer of healthcare as a universal right. It may not be remembered as a great presidency because The ACA has proven guttable, the reaction to his administration has been so severe, and The Western World seemed to pretty much fall apart about 15 minutes after he left office (that last bit isn't his fault, but history will ask why this President did not leave a more robust structure behind).

Because his predecessor fucked the middle-east which domino effected the western world ? A good chunk of European right wing nationalists sell themselves on racist fear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    For me the main accomplishments of Kennedy were the resolution to the Cuban Missle Crisis and the making the moon landing achievable.

Johnson is another mixed Presidency. Awful legacy in Vietnam, great legacy in Civil Rights and the Great Society achievements.
    Totally see Johnson as a tragic figure. If only he continued with the Great Society, if only he continued with Civil Rights, if only there wasn't a Vietnam that funneled all of those millions of dollars from funding the other things, how might America could have change? How could it have been better? A complete ::smh:: moment.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Okay, Let's say they do a Mt. Rushmore prt II. What four Presidents after Roosevelt would you put on?

This is merely our own opinions, no need to argue.

I think I would have FDR and JFK, not sure of the other two.
    For me, it would be a giant Trump head. The culmination of a century of civilization steadily going downhill after Roosevelt. There would be a single large label carved in stone beneath his face that read "Unless"
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

So? We haven't had Jesus as President yet.
    Lincoln suspended Habius Corpus.
    All of them were flawed, but some did great things and left us better off.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Zetsubou View Post
    "No one is righteous--not even one." Romans 3:10

JFK is a great POTUS but a rotten human being for cheating on his wife and taking all Pulitzer credit for a book someone else wrote.
    Fair enough, I might disagree, but respect that is your opinion of the man.

Extraordinary Member

"No one is righteous--not even one." Romans 3:10

JFK is a great POTUS but a rotten human being for cheating on his wife and taking all Pulitzer credit for a book someone else wrote.
    I don’t think he did enough to be considered s great President. He handled the Cuban Missile Crisis well but that really amounts to him keeping cool in Crisis it was still the smart move. He didn’t accomplish nearly enough and has things like the Bay of Pigs. I’d consider him a slightly lesser version of Obama. Charismatic and symbolic but ultimately didn’t have a lasting impact.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I think every Democrat president since I've been alive (since Carter) has been good.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Washington specifically. Many people just think of him as the first but he very likely was the greatest
    His farewell address alone is better than the presidency of most presidents.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Mighty Member

People always point to Washington freeing his slaves....but if I remember right, aside from the spiteful way he excluded the one slave who escaped from being free, wasn't it that he put them in his will as being free upon Martha's death?

So, like, gonna be all cool and progressive and what not, but only when it doesn't force him to change the way in which he was accustomed to living.

If he was not assassinated, he would have accomplished more in two more years
    Would have probably been re-elected. Most likely not have escalated Vietnam as Johnson did. But would he have gotten all the domestic legislation Johnson passed as well? Who knows.

For all this "JFK did a good job with the Cuban Missile Crisis" you guys/girls do realise he was HIGH AS BALLS during it right ?

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    For all this "JFK did a good job with the Cuban Missile Crisis" you guys/girls do realise he was HIGH AS BALLS during it right ?
    Considering how much of the good music & art of the last century was made by those either equally wasted or worse, being high doesn't seem to be a barrier to good work in all cases.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    If you read any of the people who were there. You would see how close we were to nuclear war and how he stopped it. Yes it was a great accomplishment.