Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Who Was The Last Good U.S. President?

With all of the loathing towards the current president of the United States, Donald J. Trump, I would like to know from this forum who you think was the last good U.S. president was. Or, if you think Trump is meeting presidential expectations, please explain why you hold this stance.

Obama.

Reagan.

Those will be the top 2 answers.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Amazing Member

Obama. Strangely he did not ban guns. Like some democrats. And wasn't he a Harvard Law Professor. He speaks well to unlike Trump.
    RayField Adam Clement
    aka "King Grinch"

BANNED

Rutherford B. Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Obama.

Reagan.

Those will be the top 2 answers.

Reagan was a garbage president.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Depends on the criteria. Reagan recognized a potential partner in Gorbachev and changed course to hasten the end of the cold war, and restored enough confidence in the country to deal with the economic doldrums we had been stuck in at the time. They weren't due to Carter even though he gets the blame - stagflation actually reared its head under Nixon. The big economic mistake we made as a country was to believe that Trickle Down economics was good for anything except as a much needed shot in the arm. It works as medicine, but is a disaster as a long term policy.

Now there is a whole lot to criticize Reagan over (AIDS, ramping up the War on Drugs, ect) but he was actually a successful President as a whole.
    Dark does not mean deep.

There are people that say the same of Obama.

I was merely stating the fact that those will be the top 2 modern POTUS picks, as they are bastions for both parties to aspire to in the current era.

And I guess it depends on how you define modern. Me? Post WWII. Historians go with 1500 to 1800, so I'd have a different answer for that.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

To me, Carter. That said, even he had some glaring issues.

I'm too exhausted to consider reality.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

I was gonna say George Washington, but he was a slave owner. So I'll go with Abraham Lincoln.

Final answer.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Depends on the criteria. Reagan recognized a potential partner in Gorbachev and changed course to hasten the end of the cold war, and restored enough confidence in the country to deal with the economic doldrums we had been stuck in at the time. They weren't due to Carter even though he gets the blame - stagflation actually reared its head under Nixon. The big economic mistake we made as a country was to believe that Trickle Down economics was good for anything except as a much needed shot in the arm. It works as medicine, but is a disaster as a long term policy.

Now there is a whole lot to criticize Reagan over (AIDS, ramping up the War on Drugs, ect) but he was actually a successful President as a whole.
    The Cold War was ending whether Reagan did anything or not. The Soviet Union bankrupted itself and had a populace eager for more modern conditions. Then theres Contra.

The Cold War was ending whether Reagan did anything or not. The Soviet Union bankrupted itself and had a populace eager for more modern conditions. Then theres Contra.
    I have to ask if you read my post thoroughly. I said Reagan hastened the end of the cold war, then you responded with 'it was ending whether he did anything or not', which seemingly refutes a point I didn't actually make.

Anyways, off to work for me.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Abraham Lincoln. Ran and won the Civil War like a boss, Homestead Act, USDA, progressive income tax, national currency, great speeches, held a patent, was a vampire killer, distrusted the Internet. No one really comes close other than George Washington.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-05-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Obama was the last great one. Had the Republicans not blocked him at every turn, we would have had true national health care instead of the compromise he had to settle for.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Questions like this make me wonder if earlier presidents and government representatives were as corrupt as they are now, and there was just no way of seeing it. With the internet and social media, it seems much easier to find and spread the dirt on anyone.

That being said, I miss having Obama as president.