Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

Isn't Dick Grayson dead in these games?

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Isn't Dick Grayson dead in these games?
    No where did you get that from? I think you're thinking of the Injustice universe.

You can play as Nightwing in City and Knight. You can also play him as Robin in the online mode for Origins but the servers are offline now.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    No where did you get that from? I think you're thinking of the Injustice universe.

You can play as Nightwing in City and Knight. You can also play him as Robin in the online mode for Origins but the servers are offline now.
    Thanks! I'm not much of a gamer, but I was thinking he fell and hit his head on a rock and died.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Thanks! I'm not much of a gamer, but I was thinking he fell and hit his head on a rock and died.
    That's the Injustice tie-in comic. Dick died on an alternate Earth the "Injustice Earth" and you see him for a bit in the main story on the "main" Earth defending the Watchtower with Raven and Cyborg from Bane, Luthor, Catwoman, and Grundy.

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Asylum is the best. Knight or City aren't bad but when I go in free-roam, I feel nothing, it's just a place you can visit, no big deal while Asylum just has this great atmosphere. Everytime I'm in the Asylum, I feel the horror, I feel the history and like a perfect puzzle, everything just goes perfectly together.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Arkham games for me are 90% good and the rest is... why.

The first game is 99% good and the 1% is reserved to Poison Ivy moaning when I hurt her like... really? We're still doing this? ...and maybe Harley's outfit but I don't really mind that much.

The second game still has enjoyable gameplay, but a rather... weird pacing. I wish they just stick with the Hugo Strange part and leave the Joker part alone. Then the "why" part is Catwoman speaking seductively when no one's there, and Batman being an ungrateful git.

I guess if I have to sum the biggest "why" is Batman and the female characters being stuck in the 90s.

Arkham Origin is the most... inoffensive... but also the most... uninteresting? Most of it is good. Shiva being weak is disappointing, but she also survived unlike the others, so it's still better. This is the game that started the retcon, I think. The "why" part is the moment the plot decided that convenient memory loss is a thing. and how they just shunted off Black Mask.

Arkham Knight is where I lost patience. The gameplay is good, barring repetitive tank battle, but the plot... I have so many "why". Why was Nightwing so weak in the prequel when it was Harley who's weak in the main game? Why are Jim and Barbara suddenly young? Why are Barbara and Tim a thing? Why did Batman recruit Tim Drake immediately after he lost Jason? How did Batman never found Jason even when he has a Batcave at the location where he's kept? Why do I still have to deal with Joker? Why Arkham Knight stopped just because Batman said sorry after all he did? Am I supposed to sympathize with Arkham Knight after all the people he killed? Doesn't work that way. Why did Batman decide to recruit Azrael who he knows nothing about before that night? How the heck did Nightwing can get grabbed by Penguin from behind? So on and so forth.

Also, one my biggest problem is a lot of the problem would've been solved if Batman doesn't insist on working alone.

The other biggest problem is the game's message. They seem to want to show that Batman needs his allies, but we're still working alone AND having to save them, so they end up looking incompetent. I'm getting mixed messages here.

Also, Joker again. Go away. I don't care anymore that it's Mark Hamill. I think this game is actually the one that made me bored with the Joker.

Good thing it's over. I think. Arkham Universe isn't really a thing, right?
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-11-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I prefer story over pretty much everything else in games, because I’m just a bad gamer.

So my favorite is Origins. Easily the best story in the series, with a defined and genuinely good character arc for Bruce himself throughout, an excellent main plot juggling Joker and Bane as the two main villains while still incorporating other villains in good roles, and a nice usage of boss battles in a way where they complimnetnthenstory and likewise. I even like most of the side missions’ plots more than other: the new crime scene investigation is genuinely fun, Anarky’s kind of endearing, etc. The Enigma sideplot is more annoying than City’s Riddler missions.

Next is City, followed swiftly by Asylum. City has better gameplay but also a better story than Asylum, but none of the games manage the pure atmosphere and stage design of Asylum.

I haven’t played Knight, largely because it’s story disappointed me enough to make me not take the risk in buying a new system to play it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

I hope the rumor of a 4th Arkham game happens at E3.

Origins besides it bugs was awesome. I wish they would do a throw back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

The first game is 99% good and the 1% is reserved to Poison Ivy moaning when I hurt her like... really? We're still doing this? ...and maybe Harley's outfit but I don't really mind that much.

The second game still has enjoyable gameplay, but a rather... weird pacing. I wish they just stick with the Hugo Strange part and leave the Joker part alone. Then the "why" part is Catwoman speaking seductively when no one's there, and Batman being an ungrateful git.

I guess if I have to sum the biggest "why" is Batman and the female characters being stuck in the 90s.

Arkham Origin is the most... inoffensive... but also the most... uninteresting? Most of it is good. Shiva being weak is disappointing, but she also survived unlike the others, so it's still better. This is the game that started the retcon, I think. The "why" part is the moment the plot decided that convenient memory loss is a thing. and how they just shunted off Black Mask.

Arkham Knight is where I lost patience. The gameplay is good, barring repetitive tank battle, but the plot... I have so many "why". Why was Nightwing so weak in the prequel when it was Harley who's weak in the main game? Why are Jim and Barbara suddenly young? Why are Barbara and Tim a thing? Why did Batman recruit Tim Drake immediately after he lost Jason? How did Batman never found Jason even when he has a Batcave at the location where he's kept? Why do I still have to deal with Joker? Why Arkham Knight stopped just because Batman said sorry after all he did? Am I supposed to sympathize with Arkham Knight after all the people he killed? Doesn't work that way. Why did Batman decide to recruit Azrael who he knows nothing about before that night? How the heck did Nightwing can get grabbed by Penguin from behind? So on and so forth.

Also, one my biggest problem is a lot of the problem would've been solved if Batman doesn't insist on working alone.

The other biggest problem is the game's message. They seem to want to show that Batman needs his allies, but we're still working alone AND having to save them, so they end up looking incompetent. I'm getting mixed messages here.

Also, Joker again. Go away. I don't care anymore that it's Mark Hamill. I think this game is actually the one that made me bored with the Joker.
    As far as I know, no, you're not supposed to sympathise. You're, though, supposed to feel pity for him to certain degree. He's been tortured for months and months and brought to the edge to such a point that an otherwise heroic personality turns to be so twisted he cannot stop to turn violent and so focused towards vengeance that he will do whatever it takes to make his point across. In terms of messing up, this version of "Jason's coming back" story is the most balanced in my opinion, because puts him under a very dark light, even if Bruce is quite violent and he mess ups his own share (which isn't big here, I think). It's also the Jason who had the worst known upbringing up to date, as far as I know. In short: he's a mess, he does wrong things, very wrong things, and you're supposed to see that. But you're also supposed to blame Joker and all the other bad guys (besides Jason himself) for twisting him that badly too. Or, well, that's what I think .

Quote Originally Posted by agentofthebat View Post
    I hope the rumor of a 4th Arkham game happens at E3.

Origins besides it bugs was awesome. I wish they would do a throw back again.
    I'm kind of surprised they didn't announce anything for Batman's birthday...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm kind of surprised they didn't announce anything for Batman's birthday...
    Batman is one of the few superheroes who gets good solo games. A new game (Arkham or otherwise) will probably be announced soonish. Arkham Knight was 4 years ago, damn it doesn't feel like that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    As far as I know, no, you're not supposed to sympathise. You're, though, supposed to feel pity for him to certain degree. He's been tortured for months and months and brought to the edge to such a point that an otherwise heroic personality turns to be so twisted he cannot stop to turn violent and so focused towards vengeance that he will do whatever it takes to make his point across. In terms of messing up, this version of "Jason's coming back" story is the most balanced in my opinion, because puts him under a very dark light, even if Bruce is quite violent and he mess ups his own share (which isn't big here, I think). It's also the Jason who had the worst known upbringing up to date, as far as I know. In short: he's a mess, he does wrong things, very wrong things, and you're supposed to see that. But you're also supposed to blame Joker and all the other bad guys (besides Jason himself) for twisting him that badly too. Or, well, that's what I think .
    Then I'm okay with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post

Good thing it's over. I think. Arkham Universe isn't really a thing, right?
    Also the story about Batman's infection in Knight didn't work for me. He cured himself at the end of City. First game it makes you huge and strong, second game it kills, then third game it makes people into the joker because joker's blood mixed with it? Then mixing it with fear toxin cures Batman.

I also didn't buy that Batman would just surrender at the end. He should have been able to use his detective abilities to track Scarecrow down, then use his stealth, and rescue his allies that way. It's not like Scarecrow gave him a time limit from what I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Also the story about Batman's infection in Knight didn't work for me. He cured himself at the end of City. First game it makes you huge and strong, second game it kills, then third game it makes people into the joker because joker's blood mixed with it? Then mixing it with fear toxin cures Batman.
    Yeah, that. I don't like the use in the third game because it's just a way to bring Joker back again, but I do find the idea that Joker's blood mutates it intriguing because he's Joker and chemicals don't affect him the same way it affects normal humans...

The dying part in the second game is still pretty consistent though. The mini-bosses injected by Titan in the first game ended up dying after they bulked up for a while. So it's the same thing. It's killing Joker, and then Batman, but at a much slower rate.