Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

No, I didn't mean like Wolverine. I used wolverine as an example for costume design. Because it is so unique.
    And I don't think Cyclops should be a killer at all. I think he should be a great tactician and leader with his own perspective. I think on the other hand that he should smile at least for one panel in one comic. He is so unhappy it hurts.

He smiles from time to time. Life does not give him too many reasons either.

Cyclops can be Bucciarati with laser eyes which should be the coolest thing ever but y'know.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Cyclops is usually the man in charge, which can be a bit of a hard sell for "coolness" points. I'll say this though, he's already cool. is he uptight? yes. can he be a prick? sure, but realistically, everyone, wolverine included, listens to him. Don't try to make him too cool, you'd ruin the character. I honestly think having big character moments and taking charge during bad situations can add to his likablity factor though. so more of that i guess

I forgot about Wheadons Cyclops. He was great there.
    RCO024.jpg

Growing up, I thought Cyclops and those like his character archetype (Captain America) were boring. Well, maybe not all as I liked Synch and he was a good guy...I was more into the "edgier" characters like Betsy, Maddie, Emma, Nate, etc. during the 90s. Somewhere along the way (Ed Brubaker), I gained an appreciation and a like for Captain America (and Daredevil). With Cyclops, it was around the Search for Cyclops mini series did I start becoming more interested in the character and his subsequent return to the X-men.

Right now, I'm mostly fine with how Scott is being portrayed. I'm a little annoyed that he thinks he never should have led the X-men though because without him and his brilliant tactical mind, the X-men would've hit rock bottom much sooner. I guess right now he's depressed, probably suffering from PTSD, etc. so I'd like to see how Rosenberg digs him out of the hole he's in right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I feel like the question poses the belief that Cyclops is "uncool" and boring. I don't feel that way. In fact, I think he's fine the way he is. His current characterization is quite flushed out and allows for interesting interactions with characters like Wolverine. I feel like respectable exposure in a movie would probably work best in improving the character's reception to a larger audience. As he currently is in the Fox films, he is the guy in the way of Wolverine uniting with Jean.
    I have nothing more to add. I agree with all of this.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Less love drama, seriously this is probably the reason most people love him or hate him.

Also less edge, he is not wolverine or the punisher and he doesn't need to be, my favorite version of the character is his heroic boyscout persona.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by verden kommer til en slutt View Post
    Wolverine was always more popular than any other X-man you ever wondered why? I think it is thanks to his unique character design. I think for instance Cyclops the most disliked one is as good of a character as Logan but for sure the cooler looking ones always steal the spotlight. His unique hairstyle and costume always stand out.
    My question is how would you make Cyclops cooler? Change his costume? He is a great leader so beard perhaps? Different costume colors? Glasses? Haircut?
    My idea has been that he could control his powers but his eyes would always glow red. If anyone can draw nice I would be interested in how would you draw this character since I think he is the most hated Marvel character.
    I skipped most of the thread. I was afraid I get demoralized by a bunch of "Well he isn't SUPPOSED TO BE COOL" posts. Just the nature of people hating change, and everyone thinking their way is the best way.

Maybe I'm wrong but before I look back... I'd like to say:

The Gimp costume always made him look terrible to me. I really liked his basilisk costume from Age of X.

His hair is out. There's room to add weapons to his suit, utility belt style, maybe even gauntlets that amplify his punching power, boots that do the same, re-purposed vibranium mesh suit...
    I mean he's friends with forge, and nightcrawler after all.

Since every serious girl he's ever had, AND his mentor were high level telepaths? I'd make it cannon that trying to **** with Scotts mind in ANY way punishes the intruder.
    His mind is a LANDMINE of sprung defenses placed there by people who have had every motivation to make sure you CAN'T do anything to him that way. Trying to attack him that way, hell trying to LOCATE him that way is dangerous. With the most common occurrence is a telepath standing stock still while their mind constructs a scenario where they have not only the achieved the mission of taking scott, but all of their hopes and dreams come true. Until they realize they're in a dream... "Damnit" by then he's beat you to ****.

Johanna Cargille... frenzy said: When you're tired of pretending. When you're ready to come out of that shell and be The Basilisk again... I'll still be here waiting.

I will be too frankly.

So I think you're right. At base giving him this costume would really help the character jump out A LOT more.

His attitude though? If you're allow me, into "TL;DR" territory... and bear with me.
    I think you'd piss off his existing fans changing it. Already there's a bit of schism between "Boy Scout" and "Right-clops"... and while I'm one of the more creative people on the boards, I'm not sure how to encompass both.

My best idea is... Cyclops in some ways is the Big Brother, Alfred Ludlow from legends of the fall, with the brad pit character basically being wolverine. Now there are fans involved so its not perfect but Alfred says:

"I followed all of the rules, man's and God's. And you, you followed none of them. And they all loved you more. Samuel, Father, and my... even my own wife."

We'd mod the statement to fit the scott/logan dynamic better, but what if that was his outrage? Which is more a commentary to the fans. He did everything he could. He did everything right, he was a high moralist.
    He comes back from the dead. Leaves the X-men, has adventures as basilisk for a while, basically being a one man (or nearly) X-force.
    To show his fans respect... he's a bad ass in his solo completely.
    Moreover, when he is approached by anyone from the school is:
    "I gave you my life. I don't owe you anything, anymore. Not even an explanation."
    Finally, when the x-men get into the next inevitable thing that is too big for them it seems? Scott shows up, leads the x-men, and moves the franchise forward from there.

Now some people don't want scott in charge in which case he goes off in his own book and never comes back except for cameos, but he has his own book and in that book his own supporting team. He's still a boy scout when he takes off the mask, he's able to be mature and happy, knowing the weight of the world isn't on him anymore. His first arc would be called.
    "... an atlas shrugged"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 03-06-2019 at 07:43 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I skipped most of the thread. I was afraid I get demoralized by a bunch of "Well he isn't SUPPOSED TO BE COOL" posts. Just the nature of people hating change, and everyone thinking their way is the best way.

Maybe I'm wrong but before I look back... I'd like to say:

The Gimp costume always made him look terrible to me. I really liked his basilisk costume from Age of X.

His hair is out. There's room to add weapons to his suit, utility belt style, maybe even gauntlets that amplify his punching power, boots that do the same, re-purposed vibranium mesh suit...
    I mean he's friends with forge, and nightcrawler after all.

Since every serious girl he's ever had, AND his mentor were high level telepaths? I'd make it cannon that trying to **** with Scotts mind in ANY way punishes the intruder.
    His mind is a LANDMINE of sprung defenses placed there by people who have had every motivation to make sure you CAN'T do anything to him that way. Trying to attack him that way, hell trying to LOCATE him that way is dangerous. With the most common occurrence is a telepath standing stock still while their mind constructs a scenario where they have not only the achieved the mission of taking scott, but all of their hopes and dreams come true. Until they realize they're in a dream... "Damnit" by then he's beat you to ****.

Johanna Cargille... frenzy said: When you're tired of pretending. When you're ready to come out of that shell and be The Basilisk again... I'll still be here waiting.

I will be too frankly.

So I think you're right. At base giving him this costume would really help the character jump out A LOT more.

His attitude though? If you're allow me, into "TL;DR" territory... and bear with me.
    I think you'd piss off his existing fans changing it. Already there's a bit of schism between "Boy Scout" and "Right-clops"... and while I'm one of the more creative people on the boards, I'm not sure how to encompass both.

My best idea is... Cyclops in some ways is the Big Brother, Alfred Ludlow from legends of the fall, with the brad pit character basically being wolverine. Now there are fans involved so its not perfect but Alfred says:

"I followed all of the rules, man's and God's. And you, you followed none of them. And they all loved you more. Samuel, Father, and my... even my own wife."

We'd mod the statement to fit the scott/logan dynamic better, but what if that was his outrage? Which is more a commentary to the fans. He did everything he could. He did everything right, he was a high moralist.
    He comes back from the dead. Leaves the X-men, has adventures as basilisk for a while, basically being a one man (or nearly) X-force.
    To show his fans respect... he's a bad ass in his solo completely.
    Moreover, when he is approached by anyone from the school is:
    "I gave you my life. I don't owe you anything, anymore. Not even an explanation."
    Finally, when the x-men get into the next inevitable thing that is too big for them it seems? Scott shows up, leads the x-men, and moves the franchise forward from there.

Now some people don't want scott in charge in which case he goes off in his own book and never comes back except for cameos, but he has his own book and in that book his own supporting team. He's still a boy scout when he takes off the mask, he's able to be mature and happy, knowing the weight of the world isn't on him anymore. His first arc would be called.
    "... an atlas shrugged"
    It was a nice read.And I agree Cyke should just leave after the X-men comes back from AoXM & be on his own & have a little support group but not mutants.He's an expert martial artists,give him some sidekicks.Give him a city,maybe SF.Have him use his blast like black canary uses canary cry.
    Last edited by AHRNIHAL; 03-06-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Xavier has been morally questionable for a long time before this.
    Not as bad as when they started to make Cyclops the grand mutant leader

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfhammer View Post
    I seriously doubt, outside of some internet shill writers, that anyone actually has seriously said he's the most hated Marvel character. Most people around here are too educated on the subject matter to believe that, even those who wish it was true like the Sunshine Boy's here:

Cyke should never be cool in the traditional sense. If you think otherwise, you may have missed the point of the character. The guy's about perseverance, reliability, respectability, awkwardness, obsessive planning, deep emotionalism without the burden of being able to express it, often rampant over-protectiveness and a touch of a god complex. None of these attributes are compatible with cool, nor should they ever be. He's the original dad of the X-Men, Charles notwithstanding. Good dads aren't cool.
    I don't know why you quoted my post. We are suppossed to ignore the many characters screwed up to Cyke could look cool?
    Last edited by spirit2011; 03-06-2019 at 07:54 AM.

BANNED

Cyclops should become Shi AR emperor, authority figures can be cool if they're taken to his logical extreme

How about a Ruby Quartz visor that actually focuses and amps up his eye beans as they exit? The design could be totally different which would give him a new look.

Personality, confident but not arrogant, cautious but fearless.

New costume with maybe some gas grenades, smoke screenbombs, and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    How about a Ruby Quartz visor that actually focuses and amps up his eye beans as they exit? The design could be totally different which would give him a new look.

Personality, confident but not arrogant, cautious but fearless.

New costume with maybe some gas grenades, smoke screenbombs, and such?
    Cyclops does not need to amplify his powers, in fact the visor controls them.

Quote Originally Posted by AHRNIHAL View Post
    Then the plan to make him the absolute leader started a long time ago,I guess.
    I don't think it was about making Scott the absolute leader (especially when they did stuff like Wolverine and The X-Men). It was just continuing a trend that had begun a long time ago.