Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Ninpuu - Shinobi Change! Striderblack01's Avatar

Tons of folks have already nailed it - Cyclops is not cool.

Being responsible to a fault, Cyclops is inherently lame.

Do you know where the term “wet blanket” comes from?
    Scott does. And he can’t wait to lecture you about it, after he’s done stopping you from riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

There’s a difference between looking cool and being cool.
    Scott can very easily look cool - the man is practically a super model.
    But being cool is a much taller order.

As a Cyclops fan, I don’t need him to be cool.
    He’s an intelligent, disciplined, devoted, and not-so-secret badass.

And that’s cool.
    The Milkshake Boom
    Quite possibly the greatest movie podcast ever made!
    (But probably not)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I don't think it was about making Scott the absolute leader (especially when they did stuff like Wolverine and The X-Men). It was just continuing a trend that had begun a long time ago.
    Right on the money.
    And
    I was being sarcastic in my previous post.
    Last edited by AHRNIHAL; 03-06-2019 at 09:17 AM.

I don't think it was about making Scott the absolute leader (especially when they did stuff like Wolverine and The X-Men). It was just continuing a trend that had begun a long time ago.
    Wolverine is the most popular X-men, so it doesn't count. And it was Cyclops that was calling all the shots

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Wolverine is the most popular X-men, so it doesn't count. And it was Cyclops that was calling all the shots
    Mind-blown.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Make Cyclops cool looking? Nah. I'd "Chamber" him. He goes to use his optic beams, something goes wrong -- a Punch dimension spike perhaps -- and he accidently blows his face off. Not possible because he's immune to the energies of the Punch dimension? Apparently not any more. Something changed. Maybe it's Cyclops. Maybe it's the Punch dimension. Whatever the case, it takes massive surgery, prosthetics and Sh'iar tech to repair him. The finished product would make Deathlok a beauty queen by comparison. And he has just the one gaping energy maw where his eyes and bridge of his nose used to be. And just for sh*ts and giggles, let's say that somehow a Sentinel chip gets accidently used in the reconstruction of some of his cybernetic parts. Scott eventually learns how to use the Sen-Tech by force of will. But not right away. Not until after he's tried to track and kill a few mutants first.

I'll do a few mock up sketches when I get home later.

All-New Member

I’d start by having Scott throw that Jim Lee costume in the trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Striderblack01 View Post
    Tons of folks have already nailed it - Cyclops is not cool.

Being responsible to a fault, Cyclops is inherently lame.

Do you know where the term “wet blanket” comes from?
    Scott does. And he can’t wait to lecture you about it, after he’s done stopping you from riding a motorcycle without a helmet.

There’s a difference between looking cool and being cool.
    Scott can very easily look cool - the man is practically a super model.
    But being cool is a much taller order.

As a Cyclops fan, I don’t need him to be cool.
    He’s an intelligent, disciplined, devoted, and not-so-secret badass.

And that’s cool.

He has always been cool to me. So he is not the bad boy cool image some people like so what, my boy is cool in all the right places.

I'd propose him getting control over his powers if only because it's about time he did.

I'd propose him getting control over his powers if only because it's about time he did.
    Emma help him with this but now is being ignore so badly. All that work the Victoria secret Angle Emma made is gone and wasted.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by verden kommer til en slutt View Post
    Wolverine was always more popular than any other X-man you ever wondered why? I think it is thanks to his unique character design. I think for instance Cyclops the most disliked one is as good of a character as Logan but for sure the cooler looking ones always steal the spotlight. His unique hairstyle and costume always stand out.
    My question is how would you make Cyclops cooler? Change his costume? He is a great leader so beard perhaps? Different costume colors? Glasses? Haircut?
    My idea has been that he could control his powers but his eyes would always glow red. If anyone can draw nice I would be interested in how would you draw this character since I think he is the most hated Marvel character.
    I skipped most of the thread. I was afraid I get demoralized by a bunch of "Well he isn't SUPPOSED TO BE COOL" posts. Just the nature of people hating change, and everyone thinking their way is the best way.
    Maybe I'm wrong but before I look back... I'd like to say:
    Went back and read the thread. Yep super demoralizing... that feeling that people didn't even read the original post before sperging out. Pretty obvious Verden Kommer was asking about appearance first and foremost. Yet here we are
    6 pages in and overwhelmingly people are patting themselves on the back talking about how cyclops "CYCLOPS SHOULDN'T BE COOL". t/m

How could we make Cyclops more popular?
    How do we make Cyclops more visually appealing? and THUS more popular.
    Clearly the impetus of the original post.

It was a nice read.And I agree Cyke should just leave after the X-men comes back from AoXM & be on his own & have a little support group but not mutants.He's an expert martial artists,give him some sidekicks.Give him a city,maybe SF.Have him use his blast like black canary uses canary cry.
    Thanks. Occasionally I like to sit back and do a character study of what makes these characters great and what can be done to both "Respect" the character and ALSO "Let them grow" and still be the same. People tend to get tunnel vision, sadly, and I can't even keep up with all the characters anymore. While I've never been a huge fan of Scott, I certainly thought he was a character that deserved more respect.
    Further, I'm completely honest changing his Code name and setting him up in a solo book for a while before coming back to the "X-throne" for lack of a better term would be just the thing he needs really.
    I'm not amazed really, but kind of sad that people especially his fans don't realized he did need a break because much like Logan, the X-office doesn't have good plan for him.

For many years... the X-office, and really the X-fans have treated Scott like the bossy older brother, or unloved step-father ala "YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!" ; "I DON'T have to listen to you!"
    Then they flirted with letting him be magneto for a while. Frankly it hard character to find a new direction for and keep, him true to himself. Letting him be on his own for a while, with a great story, good artist, and
    similar but RENEWED vigor for life would bring more shine to the character.

One thing about cyclops I think conceptually, is that everyone owes him favors, and more. Which is why I was mentioning he could easily get a tech power up between nightcrawler/gambit getting him things and forge making him things.
    But... what can you do.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post

How could we make Cyclops more popular?
    How do we make Cyclops more visually appealing? and THUS more popular.
    Clearly the impetus of the original post.

Further, I'm completely honest changing his Code name and setting him up in a solo book for a while before coming back to the "X-throne" for lack of a better term would be just the thing he needs really.
    I'm not amazed really, but kind of sad that people especially his fans don't realized he did need a break because much like Logan, the X-office doesn't have good plan for him.

One thing about cyclops I think conceptually, is that everyone owes him favors, and more. Which is why I was mentioning he could easily get a tech power up between nightcrawler/gambit getting him things and forge making him things.
    But... what can you do.
    1.Keep his AvX suit but with obvious variation to have some distinction between this and nightwing's.
    2.Basilisk is always up there as a different code name,too grim but it can grow on people eventually.
    3.Us fans are kinda used to this treatment Scott gets from X-office,and obviously there are boy-scout fans.Every character has fans,every version of said character has their fair share of fans.
    4.I would love that when/if Scott goes solo,even if it's not the X-friends,there's still space pirate dad,time traveling son can help him out.

Ok, ok...so blowing the top half of his face off might be a little extreme. And trying to explain that the Punch Dimension switched polarities on him while he was dead, thus making said blowing off of half his face possible might be too complicated an explanation for most. And his fans would just hate it, as they hate most changes to his character.

Still, there's something to be said about Scott being the X-Men's version of the Blazing Skull and never needing ruby quartz shades ever again. Say hello to a new old friend, Cyclops, aka, Dread Scott, aka Mecha-Scott-Zilla!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Ok, ok...so blowing the top half of his face off might be a little extreme. And trying to explain that the Punch Dimension switched polarities on him while he was dead, thus making said blowing off of half his face possible might be too complicated an explanation for most. And his fans would just hate it, as they hate most changes to his character.

Still, there's something to be said about Scott being the X-Men's version of the Blazing Skull and never needing ruby quartz shades ever again. Say hello to a new old friend, Cyclops, aka, Dread Scott, aka Mecha-Scott-Zilla!!!
    Isn't that design close to one of Apoc's kids?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Isn't that design close to one of Apoc's kids?
    Don't know. Would have to Google the Apoc kids to see.

Putting him in a room with Iceman.

“Have courage and be kind. Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.”
    Cinderella