Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Give it like five years and a decent run in a cartoon or live action movie, and Rich Grayson could easily surpass it. History doesn't mean much when most people get their comic book fix outside the actual comics these days. You could sell the name change to the general audience and a new generation of kids easily. Sadly DC will never do it.
    Yeah, and with Robin's exclusion from the most recent Batman films, I'm sure less people are aware of it now than in previous decades. In the 90s he was Dick Grayson in BtAS, which had a huge viewership with the kiddos. In the 60s it was the Batman tv show that had wide recognition. Now the change could be made I think. I don't really think it's necessary though.

Not a fan of Ric, or even Rick, as the name. For some reason that feels off.

It is funny how there is still a conversation about Dick...I mean Rick...I mean Dick!

DC will use Rick briefly and then turn Mr Grayson back to being Dick.

Ric, Rick, or Rich is dumb. The character has never gone by those names in his 80 years of history and to change it now would be too awkward. Just call him Richard if you don't want to call him Dick anymore as it is his actual name and people sometimes call him that so it isn't being pulled out of thin air.

Give it like five years and a decent run in a cartoon or live action movie, and Rich Grayson could easily surpass it. History doesn't mean much when most people get their comic book fix outside the actual comics these days. You could sell the name change to the general audience and a new generation of kids easily. Sadly DC will never do it.
    And “Ric” in the comics is currently trumped by the “Young Justice” and “Titans” TV shows, in both of which he’s going by “Dick”...

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    IFFFF they have to change the name, Richie would by vote. It seems to fit the character far better than Rick.
    No.

Just . . . no.

I really don't think it is such an issue to be honest... Would be extremely weird for an iconic character who for over 75 years gone with the name Dick Grayson to all of a sudden go with another name. The people who read and follow comics already know him and are used to the name. It would feel very unnatural and forced. And he shouldn't get a name change just because some people have a chilidish reaction to the word "Dick". I do feel bad for people in real life who are named Dick though, starting to feel they get bullied relentlessly...

Oh and I am glad he is not called Richie or Rich. Both those names remind me of Richie Rich and I envision a snob privileged rich boy. Which is sooo not our Dick... Rick is pretty much the only alternative that could work for me, and yeah, don't want it, don't need it. He is fine with his own name. In a world where some people name their kids all kinds of weird stuff for the sake of being different, a person named Richard who is going with the traditional short version Dick is hardly a problem IMHO.

In other news, he is apparently the most well-known fictional Richard https://www.ranker.com/list/fictiona...hard/reference (well according to that site )

What a bunch of Dick haters

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No.

Just . . . no.
    ahahaha yeah... was my reaction too...

BANNED

No.

Just . . . no.
    Dye the hair black and you'd have Bruce Wayne as a child.

No.

Just . . . no.
    Your habit of finding a picture that is an obscure reference for a word I've typed is not as charming as you seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by jules View Post
    And “Ric” in the comics is currently trumped by the “Young Justice” and “Titans” TV shows, in both of which he’s going by “Dick”...
    And neither of those has the numbers of viewers among the younger generation that Teen Titans Go does, which doesn't even use his name mostly, so what's the point? I'm just saying Dick isn't as ingrained or irreplaceable to the character as some fans think. People keep bringing up his 80 year history as a reason not to do it - which is an argument that could have been made decades ago to not change his superhero identity from Robin to Nightwing. I'm just saying, it would be an easy change that would find success among the wider audience outside the diehard comic book fans.

WTF... This name was not for one DICK without memory?

Without matter what DC is planning here for me this character always will be DICK/RICHARD GRAYSON
    Last edited by adrikito; 03-09-2019 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dropkickjake View Post
    Your habit of finding a picture that is an obscure reference for a word I've typed is not as charming as you seem to think.
    Obscure?

Dude, how old are you?

The guy starred in well-known comic books for over 30 years. (Published by the same company that had Casper the Friendly Ghost.) He's also had various cartoon series.

Some unknown guy named Macaulay Culkin starred as the character in a 1994 movie.

Obscure?

BANNED

Can someone explain why if they wanted Dick to go by a different name they couldn't have used Rich or Rick with a "k"?
    Because to me the only people who call themselves Ric with no k is some kind of an *******.

And neither of those has the numbers of viewers among the younger generation that Teen Titans Go does, which doesn't even use his name mostly, so what's the point? I'm just saying Dick isn't as ingrained or irreplaceable to the character as some fans think. People keep bringing up his 80 year history as a reason not to do it - which is an argument that could have been made decades ago to not change his superhero identity from Robin to Nightwing. I'm just saying, it would be an easy change that would find success among the wider audience outside the diehard comic book fans.
    Well, people don't seem to have a problem with him being called Dick Grayson in those media adaptions, so I don't think it's really all that pressing an issue to change his name.