Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Default DCU Characters that should be considered part of the Superverse

Having The Question appear in Action Comics has got me thinking. What other characters should be considered part of the superverse? It definitely shouldn't be considered exclusive.
    For me its:
    Captains Marvel and Atom ( both shared with Wonder Woman)
    The Atom
    Green lantern/corps
    Dr. Occult
    Zatanna
    (Any other character with ties to action comics # 1)
    The Creeper
    LOSH
    L.E.G.I.O.N
    Young Justice (should be superman's while titans is Batman's)
    Nightwing (Obviously shared)
    Hawkman
    Booster Gold
    Any of the New Gods
    Firestorm
    Martian Manhunter (shared with Batman)
    Doom Patrol
    Cyborg
    Vandal Savage (should be superman's ra's al ghul)
    What do others think?

Zatanna? Uh, she's the closest thing Bruce has to a childhood friend. The two have known one another since well before Bruce ever donned the cape and cowl.

The Green Lantern Corp are their own thing.

And Nightwing, as the founder of the Titans, first Robin, even Batman at times, should either be in the Bat Family, or in his own group (Titans).

Most of these characters I don't mind crossing over and hanging out with Superman but I wouldn't want them to be a part of the Super-verse as we know it.

Ambush Bug

Blackout
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 03-06-2019 at 01:45 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Cap Atom is associated with Wonder Woman now? That's something. I saw he just had a terrible, editor-free cameo in Doomsday Clock.

I think Ray Palmer, Katar Hol, Vandal, Booster, Creeper, and Ambush, and New Gods should always have close ties. But they're not to be folded in like say, the Newsboy Legion, LoSH, Occult, and Slam Bradley should be.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Nightwing. As part of the OG trinity he already goes way back with Superman and he's got a Kryptonian hero name.

He should be part of both verses but since the batverse don't seem to give him the props he deserves then ship him of to the Superverse. he'll boost not just the sales but the coolness of the Superverse.

In my opinion, To be a part of the "Superverse" a character needs to be inseparably tied to Superman and his mythos to the point where they couldn't/wouldn't exist without it.

The Legion of Superheroes are the perfect example of this.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    In my opinion, To be a part of the "Superverse" a character needs to be inseparably tied to Superman and his mythos to the point where they couldn't/wouldn't exist without it.

Yeah good point. I was rolling with a far looser definition for this exercise. You're right though. I was thinking along the lines of recurring guest stars who's stories could be more aligned with Superman through crossovers or guest appearances.

Honestly I’d like to add Sideways to the Superfamily. He’s cool and I want him to go somewhere that is not Limbo. He’s also got a unique powerset that would help him stand out. I believe Vixen debuted in Action Comics so I wouldn’t her showing up in Clark’s books more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post

This is my feeling as well. But Im not against a larger cast of minor characters who have ties to Clark and/or Metropolis. Sort of like an "extended" family.

Obviously we have the nearly-forgotten Alpha Centurion, who just had a cameo in Doomsday Clock (though I think he'd be a better fit for Wonder Woman's corner of the DCU.)

There was also the Super-Chief introduced very briefly during Grounded. We didn't see much of him, but he was a Native hero wearing the red "S" jacket from Smallville season 10. Not really a "Super" but someone who clearly took strong inspiration from Clark, which in my book is enough to qualify for extended family.

And Nightwing. Back in the day, Dick was pretty close to Uncle Clark and the two of them had some adventures together. And Nightwing comes from Kryptonian mythology. Dick is always going to be a Bat, but he really should have one foot in Metropolis as well (metaphorically speaking).

I really liked the idea that Black Lightning was from Suicide Slum and protected that neighborhood of Metropolis. I think both Clark and Jeff would benefit from that being utilized.

The Legion, of course. They'd benefit from having their ties to Superman returned properly.

And I wish DC would explore the Superman Squadron. I love the idea that Supermen and women from all across time and space have a loose organization, sort of like Batman Inc but on a universal scale. Chris Robinson did cool stuff with them in his brief stint, and of course Morrison made the idea work for him several times.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Atlee the second Terra.

She first appeared in the Supergirl book and got much of her development in Power Girl.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    And I wish DC would explore the Superman Squadron. I love the idea that Supermen and women from all across time and space have a loose organization, sort of like Batman Inc but on a universal scale. Chris Robinson did cool stuff with them in his brief stint, and of course Morrison made the idea work for him several times.
    Take that idea from the end of Grounded and bring back some of the Superman/boy variants of the Silver/Bronze Age with some reworking.

Arnold "Iron" Munro as a Jay Garrick to Clark. Someone with powers closer to the Action #1 character whose exploits Clark was inspired by.

Hyperman of Oceania as possibly another Kryptonian who became the hero of an Earthlike world. Could use a survivor from Vathlo Island to add diversity.

Marvel Maid and Marvel Man of Terra obviously need a name change but otherwise could be with a little rework another set of substitute "Supers".

Marsboy- again maybe with a name change but someone sent from an ancient Earth-civilization like Atlantis to become hero of another world.

Mighty Boy, another Earthborn hero who became a Superboy analog on another planet

Vartox

Garox aka Gary, the Witch-Boy as a supernatural being who was young Clark's "imaginary" friend in his youth.

I can see this as a sort of loose organization that sort of exists alongside of the Green Lantern Corps - each protecting their "home" planet and part of the surrounding sector.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

I wouldn't mind seeing the Wild Men back

They are characters from the 90s Kon El Superboy era, it would be cool to see them again.

Davood Nasuur aka. Sinbad

This character had some potential but DC eventually forgot about him, Chris Roberson had a story planned during his run on Grounded, which would've featured a much older Nasuur but for whatever reason DC decided not to release the issue, on the plus side we got a unpublished Krypto story by Kurt Busiek.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Nightwing. As part of the OG trinity he already goes way back with Superman and he's got a Kryptonian hero name.

He should be part of both verses but since the batverse don't seem to give him the props he deserves then ship him of to the Superverse. he'll boost not just the sales but the coolness of the Superverse.
    People are always going to associate Nightwing with the Batverse because he was the original Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Take that idea from the end of Grounded and bring back some of the Superman/boy variants of the Silver/Bronze Age with some reworking.
    Sounds good to me!

Make it a multiversal team while you're at it. I mean, an army of Supermen from across space-time? The multiverse is *not* a barrier to that group!

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    People are always going to associate Nightwing with the Batverse because he was the original Robin.
    They will. And that's no barrier to Nightwing spending a weekend in Metropolis now and then. It doesn't even prevent him from permanently moving to Suicide Slum and becoming the local protector (ala Burnside).

Now, that last is damn unlikely to happen. But just because Dick is a Bat doesn't mean he's stuck in Gotham doing Bat things. He could spend more time with Uncle Clark. Teach Jon a couple things. I really enjoyed the crush Kara had on him. That was amusingly awkward for all involved.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly I’d like to add Sideways to the Superfamily. He’s cool and I want him to go somewhere that is not Limbo. He’s also got a unique powerset that would help him stand out. I believe Vixen debuted in Action Comics so I wouldn’t her showing up in Clark’s books more frequently.
    I was just about to say that, I think tying Sideways to the Superverse/Super Family for sure. T-Shirt Superman was one of the funest parts of his title, i would love to see him play off Superman and the rest of the Super Family like Steel, Supergirl, and Jimmy Olsen. I think once Naomi gets to where she's going, she'll definitely be a part of the larger Superverse, potentially in a similar way to The New Gods.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."