Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Captain Marvel movie spoiler talk

I guess I'll start this? I'll probably leave spoilers on my own posts for the first few messages. At least until everyone else catches up.

That being said, here are my basic non-spoiler thoughts after having seeing it:

I really liked it. Even with all of the expecting connections to other films (which there are quite a few), it really does a good job of standing on it's own. I wasn't really thinking about the other movies in the MCU, until a connecting reference would pop up. The chemistry between Jackson, and Larson is great. I really enjoyed all of their scenes together. And Captain Marvel really is one of the heavy hitters in the MCU. That's made pretty clear. I saw a comparison between the two Ant Man films, and I would definitely rate this above both. It's more character/story driven, while those two were more just story driven with a "heist" as the crutch. There are also a lot of 90's references, which are sometimes funny, especially if you grew up during that time period. I think some folks will feel it's overdone though.

There are two post credit scenes. First one is definitely worth staying for. Second one...ehhhh.

Overall, I think this film will won't be a huge knock out for Marvel, but decent overall like most of their movies. The comparisons between this film and DC's Wonder Woman will probably arise as well. I think I like this one a little better, just because Wonder Woman to me really falls off in the 3rd act.

BTW, maybe I was under a rock, but I guess there was some backlash about how this might be a film geared towards having a feminist message? Didn't see any of that in the movie. It felt like whether Captain Marvel was a woman or man it wouldn't have mattered.

For those that have seen the movie, here a couple of questions I'm looking to have answered:

What was the deal with the cat having been an alien creature? I'm guessing this is a prominent character or reference from the Marvel universe, but I have no idea who or what it is. Also why did the cat scratch Fury's eye near the end? I guess that reference to how he lost his eye in Captain America 2 isn't that prominent now

Ronan said they will come back for Captain Marvel. What's his potential endgame? Obviously, he's dead now, but it seems his faction of the Kree now have an interest in her after seeing what she can do. But to what end?

EDIT: I was educated on these two questioned elsewhere.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 03-06-2019 at 06:08 AM.

Mighty Member

Could we not user spoiler tags in a spoiler thread, I cannot see under them on my Ipad, thanks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Could we not user spoiler tags in a spoiler thread, I cannot see under them on my Ipad, thanks.
    You can, if you quote the post that has the spoiler tags in it. It’s frustrating, sure, but you can.

Also agree though: spoiler warning in title means spoiler tags shouldn’t be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    You can, if you quote the post that has the spoiler tags in it. It’s frustrating, sure, but you can.

Also agree though: spoiler warning in title means spoiler tags shouldn’t be necessary.
    Fair enough. I'll refrain from using them now.

Is it true that:

spoilers

Mar-Vell is a female played by Annette Benning?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    For those that have seen the movie, here a couple of questions I'm looking to have answered:

What was the deal with the cat having been an alien creature? I'm guessing this is a prominent character or reference from the Marvel universe, but I have no idea who or what it is. Also why did the cat scratch Fury's eye near the end? I guess that reference to how he lost his eye in Captain America 2 isn't that prominent now

Ronan said they will come back for Captain Marvel. What's his potential endgame? Obviously, he's dead now, but it seems his faction of the Kree now have an interest in her after seeing what she can do. But to what end?

EDIT: I was educated on these two questioned elsewhere.
    Carol has a cat, named Chewie, in the comics, who turns out to be an alien called a Flerken. That's where the cat thing comes from.

Mighty Member

Default Captain Marvel : THAT after-credits scene...

Saw this last night in Australia with a great crowd!

MEGA-SPOILER

spoilers:
    What did Carol say when met Cap & co? The Audience cheered so loud I couldn't hear it! . Guess I'll have to watch it again!
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Ravin' Ray; 03-06-2019 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Added spoiler tags

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Is it true that:
    Yes.

Watched it last night on IMAX. It has a very touching tribute to Stan Lee.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    Saw this last night in Australia with a great crowd!

MEGA-SPOILER

spoilers:
    What did Carol say when met Cap & co? The Audience cheered so loud I couldn't hear it! . Guess I'll have to watch it again!
    end of spoilers
    "Where's Fury?"

BANNED

I loved it. I wonder if that scene with Carol and the biker who tells her to smile was a reshoot after all that whingeing. I thought Larson was a fantastic action hero, not too cocky and with a lot of pathos. The Kelly Sue cameo was great. Wasn't expecting the twist with the Skrulls. The second post-credits scene blew my mind initially as I thought it was a second cube, but then I realised that scene would've happened back in the 90s. Or did it...?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I loved it. I wonder if that scene with Carol and the biker who tells her to smile was a reshoot after all that whingeing. I thought Larson was a fantastic action hero, not too cocky and with a lot of pathos. The Kelly Sue cameo was great. Wasn't expecting the twist with the Skrulls. The second post-credits scene blew my mind initially as I thought it was a second cube, but then I realised that scene would've happened back in the 90s. Or did it...?

Was the twist that the Skrulls were benevolent before the Kree murdered their merchant, stole their technology and started the war?

I've been asking myself after the film why Fury still didn't call upon Danvers after the events in New York happened in the first Avengers film. And then in the second Avengers film when the Earth was really in trouble. In the movie I wasn't satisfied with what played out, as a reason wasn't really given as to why Fury would hold back. Just that Carol told him "for emergencies only" when she hands him the cosmic pager.

Then someone put an idea in my head I wasn't really thinking about, which was interesting:

on the contrary to that, Fury's motivation was to use the Tessaract to create weapons. If Fury had called Carol at the start of the first Avengers movie to help her get the Tessaract back from Loki, she is 100% taking it from SHIELD's hands, even without knowing they was using it to make weapons. Those weapons would've been used on any potential threats that weren't from Earth. From Carol's POV, what if they had used them on her or the Skrulls when they first arrived? They would be using them on the wrong people (a lesson which Fury eventually learns in CA:TWS). If Fury calls Carol, she takes the Tessaract and he is left with no weapons and no conflict or potential to create a team.
    I hadn't thought about this angle. Before, I was simply thinking that Fury would want a team to learn to pick themselves up, and solve their own jams. But this line of thinking started to buckle with me, especially in the second film when the catastrophe of Sokovia looks like it's going to basically screw the planet over. Fury was gambling too much on ideals against the safety of the planet, when he has a big gun in his pocket via Carol. The above comment regarding the longer game with the Tesseract makes more sense within the narrative if they chose to expand upon that. Perhaps in Endgame.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 03-06-2019 at 11:50 PM.

I've been asking myself after the film why Fury still didn't call upon Danvers after the events in New York happened in the first Avengers film. And then in the second Avengers film when the Earth was really in trouble. In the movie I wasn't satisfied with what played out, as a reason wasn't really given as to why Fury would hold back. Just that Carol told him "for emergencies only" when she hands him the cosmic pager.

Then someone put an idea in my head I wasn't really thinking about, which was interesting:

I hadn't thought about this angle. Before, I was simply thinking that Fury would want a team to learn to pick themselves up, and solve their own jams. But this line of thinking started to buckle with me, especially in the second film when the catastrophe of Sokovia looks like it's going to basically screw the planet over. Fury was gambling too much on ideals against the safety of the planet, when he has a big gun in his pocket via Carol. The above comment regarding the longer game with the Tesseract makes more sense within the narrative if they chose to expand upon that. Perhaps in Endgame.
    We of course know that the actual reason he didn’t call her before was because she was never planned to be part of the plot until around the time Infinity War was being made and so didn’t exist (in a meta sense) until then.

I love the MCU but for the most part they are actually really terrible at being consistent with plots/characters between films outside of broader arcs (many of the movies end with ‘game changing, status quo smashing repercussions’ for individual characters that are almost immediately forgotten about or reversed in subsequent films, eg destruction of Rainbow Road in Thor, Tony Stark denouncing the Iron Man mantle in IM3, Tony’s entire relationship with Pepper after IM3 and then after CW, Vision and Rhodey’s stance on the Sokovia Accords in CW, Shield being dismantled in WS and so on), so I don’t imagine they will bother providing an in-depth explanation as to why Carol wasn’t called before or why she’s never even been mentioned.

Literally any explanation provided would then have to reconcile with why Fury would have called her specifically at the end of Infinity War where the stakes as Fury knows them (“people around him are disappearing at random”) are nowhere near as high as they were in Avengers, Age of Ultron, Dark World or Winter Soldier where he explicitly knew that they were facing global catastrophes (and after Avengers the Tesserect wasn’t even on Earth anymore).

All that said…it doesn’t really matter. It’ll be one of those pseudo-plot-holes that you’re not really meant to dwell on, along with “why did Thanos not just do all this in Avengers 1 when he had the Mind Stone already” and such.
    People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.

BANNED

I guess I'll start this? I'll probably leave spoilers on my own posts for the first few messages. At least until everyone else catches up.

That being said, here are my basic non-spoiler thoughts after having seeing it:

I really liked it. Even with all of the expecting connections to other films (which there are quite a few), it really does a good job of standing on it's own. I wasn't really thinking about the other movies in the MCU, until a connecting reference would pop up. The chemistry between Jackson, and Larson is great. I really enjoyed all of their scenes together. And Captain Marvel really is one of the heavy hitters in the MCU. That's made pretty clear. I saw a comparison between the two Ant Man films, and I would definitely rate this above both. It's more character/story driven, while those two were more just story driven with a "heist" as the crutch. There are also a lot of 90's references, which are sometimes funny, especially if you grew up during that time period. I think some folks will feel it's overdone though.

There are two post credit scenes. First one is definitely worth staying for. Second one...ehhhh.

Overall, I think this film will won't be a huge knock out for Marvel, but decent overall like most of their movies. The comparisons between this film and DC's Wonder Woman will probably arise as well. I think I like this one a little better, just because Wonder Woman to me really falls off in the 3rd act.

BTW, maybe I was under a rock, but I guess there was some backlash about how this might be a film geared towards having a feminist message? Didn't see any of that in the movie. It felt like whether Captain Marvel was a woman or man it wouldn't have mattered.
    Not sure about that. I think, that's a hint of how they will deal with Thanos.