Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast

this is also Nick Fury after his spy days working a desk job for an agency that likely didn't have much of a purpose yet, would make sense if he wasn't in fighting shape at the time. Hell it'd make sense if this is what inspired him to get back into fighting shape

Anyone feel that that Quinjet/Minerva chase was a bit of a homage to Independence Day's canyon sequence?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Anyone feel that that Quinjet/Minerva chase was a bit of a homage to Independence Day's canyon sequence?
    I was thinking that as well.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I believe he said "mother-flerken" but I could be wrong. Jackson intentionally muffled the enunciation of that bit.
    Yeah I read online that the actual line was motherflerken, but I guess that's not what my brain heard when I was in the theater.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

I like the twist with the Skrulls.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Yeah I read online that the actual line was motherflerken, but I guess that's not what my brain heard when I was in the theater.
    I'm with you on that one. Mr Jackson is kind of famous for that one particular word!

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I can see why many people are calling Carol an underdeveloped character. Her backstory of her dealing with sexism throughout her life was very undercooked and her having to suppress her emotions to control her powers is even worse. I think the latter was only mentioned like two times in the entire movie. I even forgot about it until it was brought up again towards the end with the stand off with Yon-Rogg. It didn’t seem like she was suppressing her emotions or having trouble with her powers through out the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    But she never was suppressing them in the first place. She was sarcastic and expressive from the start of the movie and throughout. If she started out as stoic warrior who never joked and only focused on the mission then gradually started opening up then it would have felt like a more complete arc.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    She was only mildly expressing her emotions and was both reprimanded and carpeted for that exact thing. That’s not subtext that’s the main setup for the movie. The metaphor was women feeling like they have to play by male rules to fit in, in the workplace.
    I think the other important part to point out when it comes to all instances of Yon-Rogg telling Carol she needs to 'control her emotions' is that they're gaslighting her the entire time. Her emotions were never out of control, not really. The Kree were telling her that they gave her powers, when in fact they were suppressing them. Her powers leaked out whenever she got a little amped up, and the one thing the Kree could not afford was for her to discover how much power she truly had. Every time they told her to control herself, it was really about them controlling her.

Astonishing Member

So..... was the Kree body used in Project T.A.H.I.T.I. one of the soldiers Goose consumed then hacked up? Like, did Fury return to his office to find a slimy Kree corpse next to the Tesseract?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    So..... was the Kree body used in Project T.A.H.I.T.I. one of the soldiers Goose consumed then hacked up? Like, did Fury return to his office to find a slimy Kree corpse next to the Tesseract?
    Idk, but as a cat owner, I appreciate that they had Goose smacking his/her lips before it started throwing up. Very accurate! Lol

It could possibly be a Kree Body found in the debris of the dozens of ships Carol destroyed in orbit.

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    It could possibly be a Kree Body found in the debris of the dozens of ships Carol destroyed in orbit.
    I recall the corpse looking more male... but I suppose with a soft retcon, it could have even been Minn-erva

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    I think the other important part to point out when it comes to all instances of Yon-Rogg telling Carol she needs to 'control her emotions' is that they're gaslighting her the entire time. Her emotions were never out of control, not really. The Kree were telling her that they gave her powers, when in fact they were suppressing them. Her powers leaked out whenever she got a little amped up, and the one thing the Kree could not afford was for her to discover how much power she truly had. Every time they told her to control herself, it was really about them controlling her.
    Yes exactly. This can’t be called out it has to be conveyed. What I loved the most about the dojo scene was it’s subversion of all those ‘control your emotions’ wisdoms you would get in a martial arts movie. It acted on me as cognitive dissonance, feeling that this was a very familiar trope but they were somehow flipping the script. This was dysfunctional Kenobi telling Luke exactly the wrong thing, not daring to say ‘be yourself Luke’.

This is why the final part of what I believe was the first act, is so cleverly cut. Instead of Carol just beating up the Skrulls efficiently, she is shown finally cutting loose. Enjoying it. No longer monitored and having to go full bore because of her fists being bound, she lets it all out, blows up their machine and falls to earth. Curtains fall, end of first act. She had a glimpse of who she was in more ways than one. That is her motivation now. Find out who I am and how I feel about it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-17-2019 at 02:25 AM.

Astonishing Member

No, it was a Kree found by Peggy in the 40s.

I have the feeling that there's going to be an adult Monica in the sequel (It's been 24 years after all), and the " glowy powers like your aunty" line sort of hints at her own Captaincy.....

Maybe have her be the MCU's Ms.Marvel?
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I have the feeling that there's going to be an adult Monica in the sequel (It's been 24 years after all), and the " glowy powers like your aunty" line sort of hints at her own Captaincy.....

Maybe have her be the MCU's Ms.Marvel?
    She is absolutely set up to be in the sequel. You don’t plant that seed by accident. And there’s clearly a hint in her aspirations too. She could even be introduced in Endgame. A rocket scientist or an astronaut, or perhaps someone that lost that initial inspirational drive and rediscovers it.

If we get an MCU Ms. Marvel it will be the same Ms. Marvel we have in the comics and cartoons, because they are building that brand perfectly well without changing it now.

Let’s face it, this is more of a when and how than an if. Kamala Khan will be in a movie or a TV show. My bet TV because her story lends itself to a longer form narrative IMO.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-17-2019 at 05:17 AM.