Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Ok, I was fine with you thinking it was messy, even if I don’t agree, but Larson has garnered near universal praise for this, even by reviewers luke warm over the movie. What about her performance didn’t you like?
    Well I felt that her by herself was kind of emotionless most of the time. And she didn't really sell most of the emotional moments. They just kind of happen, you know?

I got the feeling that she was directed that way, to look like a tough pilot or to look more serious because of her cloudy past. To some degree I might be mixing the various plot points and overall movie with her performance. Most of the movie's emotional moments weren't really earned very well, I felt. The biggest one was the montage of her standing up. And that was emotional, maybe the most emotional moment. But it just kind of came out of nowhere. She's super powerful and can pwn everyone anyhow. Yet she needs to have that moment to be able to punch that one dude? Just didn't click for me. I do think she is a good actress. Now that this movie has happened I am thinking we'll see better stuff from her in the future.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    I was thinking to myself that this is one of the few superhero films with no love interest. But then I realized that their actually was one right under my nose.
    Who? Alot of platonic love, but didnt see any romance. Lol now its bugging me wondering what I missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Who? Alot of platonic love, but didnt see any romance. Lol now its bugging me wondering what I missed.
    Carol Danvers and Maria Rambeau?

Great movie, BTW. It wasn't the MCU's best but it was a lot of fun!

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Carol Danvers and Maria Rambeau?
    A lot of people are getting that vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I believe he said "mother-flerken" but I could be wrong. Jackson intentionally muffled the enunciation of that bit.
    He does. Pretty clearly, too, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    So..... was the Kree body used in Project T.A.H.I.T.I. one of the soldiers Goose consumed then hacked up? Like, did Fury return to his office to find a slimy Kree corpse next to the Tesseract?
    According to the TV show, the corpse was first found over a thousand years before Captain Marvel (from the episode "The Writing on the Wall").

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Idk, but as a cat owner, I appreciate that they had Goose smacking his/her lips before it started throwing up. Very accurate! Lol
    Yeah, as another cat owner, it was very realistic in how the cat vomited.

Don't think that was the intent to the extent you seem to be thinking; Kevin Feige has confirmed that the there was no romantic love interest and the prequel novel Higher, Further, Faster is pretty explicit that Carol and Maria love each other like sisters (and the book does have a couple "I love you" scenes).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Already made $760 M. Woof!

There was a time when some thought, 'a man and a woman can never be just friends'. And I hated that line of thinking. Nowadays, even two men and two women cannot be just friends.

I mean, I wouldn't really mind if the movie made Carol and Maria explicitly lesbian(even then, there is no reason for two lesbians to be in just platonic relationship) or heavily implied that their relationship might be more than just friends. But there is absolutely nothing in the movie even close to these things. They talk to each other just like normal friends do.

I only got that sisterly vibe but I think making carol gay could b smart. I doubt she messes with Rhodey in the MCU so yea I'm down with Carol being part of a 2 mommy situation with Monica. But how old is Maria now a little younger then fury? Oy my math sucks help me out lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well I felt that her by herself was kind of emotionless most of the time. And she didn't really sell most of the emotional moments. They just kind of happen, you know?

I got the feeling that she was directed that way, to look like a tough pilot or to look more serious because of her cloudy past. To some degree I might be mixing the various plot points and overall movie with her performance. Most of the movie's emotional moments weren't really earned very well, I felt.
    We were clearly watching different movies.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-18-2019 at 02:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    It explicitly didn't. The cube was always aboard Mar-Vell's 'lab.' The plane was being powered remotely, or by some kind of battery like the ones Zola made.
    Yes, that’s how I was reading it. A battery thing.

The only question is whether anybody but Lawson/Mar-Vell knew that. It seems that Pegasus was not aware, and believed the power source destroyed, as did Yon-Rogg.
    Everyone seemed much more interested in the engine anyway. Would need to rewatch to see who actually knew about the cube.

Captain Midnight makes a good point about Carol’s time on Star Force needing to be fleshed out.

She-Ra did a good job with that premise.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 03-18-2019 at 04:59 AM.

Captain Midnight makes a good point about Carol’s time on Star Force needing to be fleshed out
    If they had done this it would have been a totally different story. This is just another example of a reviewer not understanding what the job of a reviewer actually is.

To properly review a movie you need to understand the choices made before you can critique the choices, and there are a lot of reviews that just don’t understand the movie.

The most important part of telling these stories is support the premise. The main premise is identity. Telling more story about her Kree identity would shift the story towards an entirely different focus.

The point of her time with the Kree is to focus on the parts where her identity is either being hidden or subverted, and to introduce an alien species that is entirely based on identity as a thematic counterpoint. The Skrulls are the most important thematic element of the first act. That and establishing that Yon-Rogg and the Supreme Intelligence are clearly monitoring her and lying to her about her identity.

The only other point of the Kree battle scene is to show she is a capable but headstrong warrior. We don’t need to extend the whole movie to demonstrate this.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-18-2019 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    If they had done this it would have been a totally different story. This is just another example of a reviewer not understanding what the job of a reviewer actually is.
    Probably a better movie. She-Ra did just that and it was pretty good.

Probably a better movie. She-Ra did just that and it was pretty good.
    A different movie. One in the reviewers head. I cross posted a lot of explanation as to why this criticism is missing the point btw.

I think one thing the movie did well was to capture what a bunch of insufferable bastards the Kree are. They've always been the space choads of the Marvel Universe -- except in Abnett & Lannings hands, a lapse in their otherwise stellar (pun intended) cosmic Marvel books. Lee Pace nailed it in Guardians and all the actors playing Kree brought it in spades. You couldn't walk out of the theater and not dislike them. Mar-vell was the only one out of their empire who was a nice hero, and the MCU got that right, too. It was cometely satisfying watching Captain Marvel tear through them at the end. (PS -- I'm not conflating Mar-vell with Danvers. What Dr. Lawson tried to do was heroic.)