Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mia View Post
    One of the reasons I was anxious to see the film was the trailer and I read somewhere that Larson was impressed by Blunt's performance in Edge of Tomorrow. So I thought I would be getting a performance along those lines. Instead I got the exact opposite. Instead of getting a cool confident, I got an overgrown teenage girl who just ran her mouth and went over the top in trying to prove herself. True strength comes from within. And it can be displayed in manner and attitude.Gemma Chan's character was actually much more admirable and the epitome of a powerful woman. Anytime I see someone going over board trying to show what a 'badass'' they are. I just get the opposite impression: and that's insecurity.
    The problem is that this is an MCU movie. This is a setting where Bruce Banner- I mean, Bruce Banner, the poster child for the insecure introvert- is a wisecracking comedian. This has been the formula since it worked the first time with RDJ. Thor is a wisecracking comedian. So is Ant-Man. Captain America escaped that somewhat somehow. But it's what the character is written to be. Right in the script, other characters say she jokes too much. No matter who was cast, she would be saying those lines and having to play it essentially as she did.

Now it may have been the directing, telling her to play it like that. But the point is that it's an MCU movie no matter what and that's the formula so it seems strange that she gets the flack for something that is almost every main character and sometimes to far more of an extreme than in this movie (Thor 3 comes to mind).
    Power with Girl is better.

I have just one word to say about this movie, and I'll leave that word to the great man himself,

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I wanted to like this, but I think the film is a mixed bag that can't seem to get out of its own way too often. With some re-editing and restructuring to expand on Carol's childhood and put it at the beginning of the film, I think the whole film would work much better. As it is, Carol is pretty much the least interesting character in her own movie, which is a pretty big problem the film never quite overcomes.

There's a lot of great stuff in the movie, but the filmmakers just automatically assumed we're going to like her and be invested in her from the start and you can't really get away with that unless you've got a killer opening sequence that gets the audience on board with the protagonist.

I understand they were trying to do something different with the superhero origin story, but there's a reason those tropes are seen so often--because they work.

That said, I liked the twist with the Skrulls and the CGI was pretty. Sam Jackson and Ben Mendleson were clearly enjoying themselves. Ironically, it was the female characters who felt underserved. Carol never clicked with me when that kinda cocky hotshot fighter pilot archetype is my jam. They ran into the same problem the Green Lantern movie did in not spending enough time getting us to care about Hal Jordan. A couple quick flashbacks to their childhoods is simply not enough. It doesn't have to be long, but we need to see them at those embryonic stages to buy the adults they become. It's one of the smartest moves Donner & Jenkins made with Superman & Wonder Woman.

And the actress playing Monica Rambeaux's mom was completely wasted. I would have thought Marvel would have gotten over it's "black best friend who's only there to help out the white lead" shtick, but that's pretty much the only purpose she served. At least Rhodey and Sam were given enough good lines so that those characters could coast on the natural charisma of the actors, but this actress wasn't even given that.

I dunno, it's a shame. They had all the elements for a good film here, but it just didn't come together in any satisfying way for me.
    Fucking LOVE your avatar, dude!

Extraordinary Member

I found this to be an awkwardly entertaining movie, good, but not great, that kind of feels like a fusion of the style and tone of the 70’s Superman movie with a TV show pilot, if that makes sense. Nothing was ever bad, per se, but several times the film wound up underwhelming. And the tone of the film feels like it maybe needed to either get fine-tuned, or that they need to avoid incorporating so many characters from the other sub-franchises that have distinct tones. The cosmic story didn’t have the energy of the Guardians films that made them snap, and Fury was more intense and fun in the The Winter Soldier.

Mendelssohn’s Talos was probably the part that wound up most perfectly executed, once they got the ball rolling in actually revealing he was playing a good guy; the character’s personality wound up perfectly executed int he scenes where he went from endearingly fun to heartfelt and dramatic without an issues. Jackson was fun and engaging, but again, I kind of miss the character’s edge, and I think they could have managed both instead of ditching one for the other (the eye thing isn’t really infuriating as much as an underwhelming missed opportunity.)

Larson wasn’t miscast... but I do think the character was miswritten. The character needed a bit more flex in some areas and a bit more attitude in others. The portrayal was fun but cluttered and a bit unclear. Maybe directing played a part. I’ll be curious to see how Larson does in Endgame, if the Russo brothers maybe have a more concrete idea for how the character should act.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I found this to be an awkwardly entertaining movie, good, but not great, that kind of feels like a fusion of the style and tone of the 70’s Superman movie with a TV show pilot, if that makes sense. Nothing was ever bad, per se, but several times the film wound up underwhelming. And the tone of the film feels like it maybe needed to either get fine-tuned, or that they need to avoid incorporating so many characters from the other sub-franchises that have distinct tones. The cosmic story didn’t have the energy of the Guardians films that made them snap, and Fury was more intense and fun in the The Winter Soldier.

Mendelssohn’s Talos was probably the part that wound up most perfectly executed, once they got the ball rolling in actually revealing he was playing a good guy; the character’s personality wound up perfectly executed int he scenes where he went from endearingly fun to heartfelt and dramatic without an issues. Jackson was fun and engaging, but again, I kind of miss the character’s edge, and I think they could have managed both instead of ditching one for the other (the eye thing isn’t really infuriating as much as an underwhelming missed opportunity.)

Larson wasn’t miscast... but I do think the character was miswritten. The character needed a bit more flex in some areas and a bit more attitude in others. The portrayal was fun but cluttered and a bit unclear. Maybe directing played a part. I’ll be curious to see how Larson does in Endgame, if the Russo brothers maybe have a more concrete idea for how the character should act.
    Wow! I'm not the only one who got that vibe. I noticed it especially in the final scene where Marvel rockets away with the ship after floating in orbit with, I think, the Sun in the background. I really got this "Superman the Movie" vibe. Had this been a male character, I think it would have been even more obvious.

When she said she couldn't wear the Kree colors anymore and turned them red and blue with a little yellow, it was like saying that to show the positivity you really needed to get rid of that drab costume and get something vibrant although the Kree costume was more vibrant and positive than any of the recent live action Superman costumes.
    Power with Girl is better.

Saw it a second time liked it way more without all the expectations. Hope we get alot more Talos he was pretty great. Laughed out loud in the scene where the dude asks Carol to smile given people said that to Brie. It was a beautiful movie, wish it had more cosmic and Fury lost his eye to something more dramatic but non comic fans dont seem to mind. I was complaining to my cousin about it afterward and his response was "It wasnt a cat though it was something that can easily bite your head off". So iono some cool reveal with his eye might have been some of my own baggage since people seemed to enjoy it in theaters. Went to a 4pm showing and it was sold out

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Saw it a second time liked it way more without all the expectations. Hope we get alot more Talos he was pretty great. Laughed out loud in the scene where the dude asks Carol to smile given people said that to Brie. It was a beautiful movie, wish it had more cosmic and Fury lost his eye to something more dramatic but non comic fans dont seem to mind. I was complaining to my cousin about it afterward and his response was "It wasnt a cat though it was something that can easily bite your head off". So iono some cool reveal with his eye might have been some of my own baggage since people seemed to enjoy it in theaters. Went to a 4pm showing and it was sold out
    Some secrets don't need to be revealed. It is case one of these things we should never know like Wolverines origin or what Gambit did for Mr Sinister.The Mystery is most of times is better than story unless you have a really really good story to tell. The eye thing didn't bother me but Nick Fury losing it heroically save someone would have been better than a cat joke.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
    I have just one word to say about this movie, and I'll leave that word to the great man himself,

Fucking LOVE your avatar, dude!
    Thank yew.

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I heard Fury got his eye scratched out by that cat. Is that really how he lost it? Tell me that's not true.
    It's not true.

It was scratched out by an alien creature that is described as extremely dangerous by the other alien races.

Don't believe everything you hear.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I will try to keep SPOILERS to a minimum but won't promise none since the thread title warns of spoilers.

It was great! All the arguments leading up to it, sight unseen, seem ridiculous now.

Great tribute at the very beginning to Stan Lee.

I'll admit the movie started slow and I was beginning to think that maybe all the youtube critics were right in saying that it was an average MCU movie which is still good but not standout. It was also very convoluted at the start, one of those "Pulp Fiction" jumping around time things that has you hoping this will eventually make sense. And does it ever end up making sense.

To those who had seen and reviewed the movie on youtube and kept saying she starts and ends as the same character, never smiles or shows vulnerability, I guess I can only go with the classic: What theater room were you in and what movie were you watching while I was watching "Captain Marvel"?

She shows emotions and vulnerability all the time in the way you would expect a good performer to do it, with subtle expressions and body language along with sometimes tearing up. She smiles again and again and again. She shows emotional vulnerability constantly.

There are not obvious Female Empowerment speeches. In the best tradition of female action heroines, she doesn't talk about it, she just does it and there's no implication of anybody being on the right or wrong side because of their gender.

It's got some amazing effects and action but it never lets that be the star of the show. It always comes back to being able people.

The camaraderie between Danvers and Jackson is impressive. Like most Marvel movies, the jokes sometimes get a bit tiresome but that doesn't seem to be a problem with most MCU viewers. The cat is funny but that part does get too silly in a couple of ways.

I can see a concern that, as powerful as she is, will she dominate the next Avengers movie? But that's like asking if Captain America will be irrelevant because Thor and Iron-Man are there. I am sure she will be utilized in a way that everyone is the star in their own way just as in "Infinity War".

The de-aging technology is phenomenal. Jackson looks like he's in his mid-forties and Coulson could be a graduate student.

They nicely worked MCU versions of other versions of Captain Marvel into the story.

As to the Skrulls, I'll just say that in their first comic book appearance in 1961, they were a reflection of that time. Now they are a reflection of the more current situation.

Captain Marvel as a character might best be defined by: She's "only" human. That means she gets knocked down a lot but it also means she always stands back up and keeps trying.
    I agree with your reviews.

I watched it in a crowded theater, and there was a lot of cheering and laughing by the audience. I watched it with two friends (24 and 30 years old) who don't read comics, and they really lost it over the Flerken scene, which of course does not provide as much of a surprise to comic book readers.

A big hit with the audience was also "punch grandma on the train."

I'm definitely thinking about seeing it again. There was one scene that I think definitely is foreshadowing for later MCU films, but I want to read the rest of this thread before bringing it up.
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Curious why they went with the mar-vell gender bend.
    Other than Wonder Woman and few others (Invisible Girl, ummmmm Black Canary, ummm anyone else? oh yeah, Marvel Girl and the other female mutants), too many female heroes introduced by Marvel and DC from the 1940s to the 1970s at the big two were derivative of male heroes. Wasp was Ant-Man's love interest and got her similar powers from him. Supergirl and She-Hulk were cousins of more famous male heroes. Batgirl was inspired by Batman, same as Bat-Woman. Valkyre was part of the Thor mythos. Spider-Woman was her own character, but in the shadow of Spider-Man. Carol actually got her powers from the male hero she had a crush on. Paty Cockrum actually made a joke about this in an industry publication in the 70s or 80s, suggesting a female version of the Vision called "Vision of Loveliness."

So removing the male Mar Vell, and doing away with the "power transfusion from the male hero" origin in both the movie and the plot removes that somewhat chauvinistic story trope.

Hillary was right!

The scene that I thought definitely was some kind of foreshadowing for a later movie:

Monica telling the Skrull kid he has the prettiest eyes, and never to change them.

Hillary was right!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBullion View Post
    It's not true.

It was scratched out by an alien creature that is described as extremely dangerous by the other alien races.

Don't believe everything you hear.

Other than Wonder Woman and few others (Invisible Girl, ummmmm Black Canary, ummm anyone else? oh yeah, Marvel Girl and the other female mutants), too many female heroes introduced by Marvel and DC from the 1940s to the 1970s at the big two were derivative of male heroes. Wasp was Ant-Man's love interest and got her similar powers from him. Supergirl and She-Hulk were cousins of more famous male heroes. Batgirl was inspired by Batman, same as Bat-Woman. Valkyre was part of the Thor mythos. Spider-Woman was her own character, but in the shadow of Spider-Man. Carol actually got her powers from the male hero she had a crush on. Paty Cockrum actually made a joke about this in an industry publication in the 70s or 80s, suggesting a female version of the Vision called "Vision of Loveliness."
    LOL

both the movie and the plot
    What do you mean by "both the movie and the plot"? I don't understand the distinction you're making.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RyDub View Post
    I am not arguing with you on that. I have said it (not sure if i said it here) Was not a fan of MOS, I feel like henry Cavil up until the fight with steppenwolf in JL was a terrible superman in every aspect. With MOS superman was living on earth since he was a baby naturally his powers developed, he had 30+ years to develop them. Captain Marvel had 30 seconds between going from inhibited to full power, and even inhibited she only had 6 years.
    Control was never an issue. That was just part of the Kree lie. Her only problem was the Kree inhibited her access to her powers. 6 years is plenty of time. Plus, all of her USAF training before plays a role.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Oh, that Stan Lee tribute. Right in the feels.

The movie was good. Not great, but good.

I liked the Skrulls twist. Brie was really charming to me. Chemistry with Sam Jackson was spot on. Action was really good. Loved that Super Saiyan ****.

But I think this is the first MCU movie where the humour fell flat most of the time. Though there were some gems. Like Fury with the cat. Coulson asking if Fury lost his eye when refusing to hand over the Tesseract and him replying that he can neither confirm nor deny that event.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureBliss View Post
    For me the most cringey part was the very brief shot of her and her friend singing karaoke. It just reminded me of every crappy advert where people are doing these things to show they are awesome unique quirky people.
    That I think was the films biggest flaw. All the Charachter of Carroll happened in that crappy montage and all of a sudden we're supposed to buy into her as Carroll when she gets her memories back just no (which btw was stupid as hell, oh here's a recording....bam memory returns back happy days!). And then as Veers we're told what she is like via Law and not actually getting to see it ourselves other than her throwing a few snarky remarks here and there.

This is supposed to be a solo movie to establish her as a character and they cut corners on the most important things.

I said she was miscast but now I think about it the material for her to work with was very thin. Granted others like Sam L Jackson still managed to own their role so eh she how she does in Endgame.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.