Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

I just got out of the theater and I was a little worried after seeing some non-spoiler reviews online, but the movie was an enjoyable experience. It's certainly not my favorite MCU movie but it's fun. I really loved the opening credits honoring Stan Lee. Everyone in my theater cheered and clapped when that appeared. It was a great feeling.

My biggest gripe with the film is that the Skrulls, at least the ones we meet, aren't really conquerors but rather refugees and at the end of the film they are solely portrayed as victims of war rather than someone on the opposing side of a war for power. The menace that they are portrayed as and the intensity of these alien characters is completely lost and thrown away by the half way point of the movie. I couldn't take Talos or the Skrulls seriously after he showed up in Maria's house. I'm not sure if Marvel will go through with a Secret Invasion storyline unless they reveal in another movie that the Skrulls were only using Carol to take the Kree out of the equation. But I feel like that would have been better served as an end credit scene if that was something they were planning.

Also, I highly doubt Kevin Feige wants to touch the Inhumans, but after what we were given in Captain Marvel, adding the Inhumans would be such a natural addition and evolution of the MCU cosmic narrative. You could have the Kree begin the Inhumans project as a direct result of Carol's experimentation and power or have them cease the Inhumans project due to Carol and them losing control of her. The second option is more in line with the comics. Now more than ever I want to see Black Bolt, Medusa and their family in a cinematic rendition of War and Realm of Kings.
    Last edited by Keyotheseasons; 03-07-2019 at 12:30 PM.

SPOILER!!!!
    .This is my first time trying a spoiler tag haha. I saw Captain Marvel today and I liked it. I mean, it was like an overwhelming like, but I did like it. The Stan Lee tribute at the beginning was very touching, and the cameo in the movie was a sweet moment. I am not going to spoil it in this spoiler thing, but if you are a Marvel fan you have to see it.

The most satisfying part of this movie for me was seeing how great Brie Larson was in the role. Between the so-so performance in the trailers and all of the ridiculous trolling online by people with axes to grind, I just wanted her to be awesome -- she was. The trailers failed to capture the playfulness of her character. She wasn't glowing photon energy, that was just sheer charisma. She did a great job balancing the inner turmoil of an amnesiac and someone who is just really good at getting stuff done. She's cocky like Stark, but because she doesn't take herself seriously, it's endearing.

I was glad SLJ finally got a more significant role in one of these movies, and CM was the perfect place for it to happen since his chemistry with Larson was really great. You were having fun because they were having fun.

Ben Menselsohn, son! He was almost my favorite thing about this film. The twist with his character was great. More on that later.

Rest of the cast was solid -- Jude Law was Jude Law.

Lashawna Lynch as Maria Rambeau was as good as the reviews have stated. She had a pretty important role in limited screen time, so she had to make her scenes count -- they did. This is the first MCU movie that doesn't have some type of romance as a thread. This friendship between Carol and Maria was ultimately the "romance" and probably more effective than shoehorning in a dude.

As for the story, I really dug how they weaved in the mystery of who "Vers" was at the beginning of the movie. You pretty much figured things out as Carol did -- you never really knew more than her, and this movie had some really great twists. One twist was obvious -- Jude Law being the big bad.

But offsetting that by portraying the Skrulls as sympathetic characters was bold, and for me, a nice choice. There's no reason why they can't be villains later -- ultimately, this film showed they aren't a monolith. It'll probably complicate things for Carol when they do end up being a problem.

I thought the first two acts were stronger than the third. If you could complain about one thing, it's that the final act didn't have a ton of suspense and things resolved really quickly. There was never ever doubt...no real struggle. I guess I appreciated that Law's character gave up so easily, as what was the point?

"Where's Fury?" So good!

This is definitely up there with the top ranked MCU films for me.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Brie Larson really rocked as Captain Marvel. She is an action hero.

Jude Law was great too, as always.

I wanted more of them and the whole Kree/Skrull conflict and way less of the connective tissue to other Marvel stuff. Sometimes all that gets tedious for me. I LOVED the look of everything in the beginning, the cosmic stuff looked so much cooler than in other Marvel movies.

Brie Larson just has so much charisma. Carol feels really organic.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 03-07-2019 at 10:29 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I just got out of the theater and I was a little worried after seeing some non-spoiler reviews online, but the movie was an enjoyable experience. It's certainly not my favorite MCU movie but it's fun. I really loved the opening credits honoring Stan Lee. Everyone in my theater cheered and clapped when that appeared. It was a great feeling.

My biggest gripe with the film is that the Skrulls, at least the ones we meet, aren't really conquerors but rather refugees and at the end of the film they are solely portrayed as victims of war rather than someone on the opposing side of a war for power. The menace that they are portrayed as and the intensity of these alien characters is completely lost and thrown away by the half way point of the movie. I couldn't take Talos or the Skrulls seriously after he showed up in Maria's house. I'm not sure if Marvel will go through with a Secret Invasion storyline unless they reveal in another movie that the Skrulls were only using Carol to take the Kree out of the equation. But I feel like that would have been better served as an end credit scene if that was something they were planning.

Also, I highly doubt Kevin Feige wants to touch the Inhumans, but after what we were given in Captain Marvel, adding the Inhumans would be such a natural addition and evolution of the MCU cosmic narrative. You could have the Kree begin the Inhumans project as a direct result of Carol's experimentation and power or have them cease the Inhumans project due to Carol and them losing control of her. The second option is more in line with the comics. Now more than ever I want to see Black Bolt, Medusa and their family in a cinematic rendition of War and Realm of Kings.
    I think the point was that there is good and bad on both sides.

I'm not sure that it got delivered effectively enough, and I would have liked Jude Law's character to have a bit more dimension to him- but that's what they were going for.

Not every Skrull is a monster, like she thought. Not ever Kree is a noble warrior.

The answer to the seemingly endless conundrum that is: "Why hasn't Fury called Carol before?" has been pretty much answered now. Look at it from Fury's perspective: his first major action was to get caught up in the middle of an interspecies war where both sides were intent on using Earth as the designated battlefield and thus the next major incidents are far more smaller scale in comparison - the 'Battle of NY' and the Sokovia thing were only city-sized things really.

In NY he had faith that the Avengers (with a helpful Thunder God) could handle it; with Ultron the best bet was the mind who'd come up with it (Stark) was the guy who'd finish it there. When Ultron's plan was finally realised in AOU it was too late to call her anyway - she could only have arrived in time to pick up the bits of the Earth that were left and glue them together with bits of melted robots. He makes the call at the end of IW because it really did look like things were turning to shit then (he wasn't to know it was only 50%) and she might as well come back. If they didn't have Thor on board for 1 and 2 he might have been tempted to see how quickly she could get back, but with him there he could afford to save his ace-in-the-hole.
    Last edited by snark^; 03-07-2019 at 11:05 PM.
    I've seen things you posters wouldn't believe. Ad-spammers aflame off the shoulder of
    rec.arts.sf.written. I watched cancel posts glitter in the ether near the usenet gateway.
    All those moments will be lost in time... like beer in the rain. Time to unsubscribe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gridde View Post
    We of course know that the actual reason he didn’t call her before was because she was never planned to be part of the plot until around the time Infinity War was being made and so didn’t exist (in a meta sense) until then.

I love the MCU but for the most part they are actually really terrible at being consistent with plots/characters between films outside of broader arcs (many of the movies end with ‘game changing, status quo smashing repercussions’ for individual characters that are almost immediately forgotten about or reversed in subsequent films, eg destruction of Rainbow Road in Thor, Tony Stark denouncing the Iron Man mantle in IM3, Tony’s entire relationship with Pepper after IM3 and then after CW, Vision and Rhodey’s stance on the Sokovia Accords in CW, Shield being dismantled in WS and so on), so I don’t imagine they will bother providing an in-depth explanation as to why Carol wasn’t called before or why she’s never even been mentioned.

Literally any explanation provided would then have to reconcile with why Fury would have called her specifically at the end of Infinity War where the stakes as Fury knows them (“people around him are disappearing at random”) are nowhere near as high as they were in Avengers, Age of Ultron, Dark World or Winter Soldier where he explicitly knew that they were facing global catastrophes (and after Avengers the Tesserect wasn’t even on Earth anymore).

All that said…it doesn’t really matter. It’ll be one of those pseudo-plot-holes that you’re not really meant to dwell on, along with “why did Thanos not just do all this in Avengers 1 when he had the Mind Stone already” and such.
    In the first Avengers film I could see why Thanos didn't make his ultimate move in gathering everything. Thor's pops was still around. Yeah, that's kind of a cop out, but if some Marvel MCU fan wanted to use that as a get out of jail free card regarding that plot hole, I'd kind of let it slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Not sure about that. I think, that's a hint of how they will deal with Thanos.
    How so? I'm not following.

BTW, Gemma Chan looked really hot as a blue alien. Just saying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    How so? I'm not following.
    Mark everything that follows below.

Midnight Edge stated that they red a script for Endgame. In this, the story states that Tony, Cap,Thor and Hulk with the assistance of Ant Man go back in time in order to assemble the Infinity Stones and assemble their own Infinity Gauntlet in order to counter Thanos's. Maybe Goose throwing up the Tessaract (which was destroyed by Thanos in IW) hints that if we remember that Goose houses multiple dimensions (with possible time warp properties) in her belly.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    The Kelly Sue cameo was great.
    I failed to recognize her. When was it?

As for the SJW charges leveled against the movie, I couldn't find any; unless someone stretches the Skrull refugee crisis as an allegory of the US immigration issue.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    Mark everything that follows below.

Midnight Edge stated that they red a script for Endgame. In this, the story states that Tony, Cap,Thor and Hulk with the assistance of Ant Man go back in time in order to assemble the Infinity Stones and assemble their own Infinity Gauntlet in order to counter Thanos's. Maybe Goose throwing up the Tessaract (which was destroyed by Thanos in IW) hints that if we remember that Goose houses multiple dimensions (with possible time warp properties) in her belly.
    I haven't read what you hid in color. Is it a spoiler for Endgame? I saw your first sentence, and stopped reading. Fortunately. Not sure why you thought I'd want that spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post
    The answer to the seemingly endless conundrum that is: "Why hasn't Fury called Carol before?" has been pretty much answered now. Look at it from Fury's perspective: his first major action was to get caught up in the middle of an interspecies war where both sides were intent on using Earth as the designated battlefield and thus the next major incidents are far more smaller scale in comparison - the 'Battle of NY' and the Sokovia thing were only city-sized things really.

In NY he had faith that the Avengers (with a helpful Thunder God) could handle it; with Ultron the best bet was the mind who'd come up with it (Stark) was the guy who'd finish it there. When Ultron's plan was finally realised in AOU it was too late to call her anyway - she could only have arrived in time to pick up the bits of the Earth that were left and glue them together with bits of melted robots. He makes the call at the end of IW because it really did look like things were turning to shit then (he wasn't to know it was only 50%) and she might as well come back. If they didn't have Thor on board for 1 and 2 he might have been tempted to see how quickly she could get back, but with him there he could afford to save his ace-in-the-hole.
    Well, to be fair Fury had no idea how long it would take for Carol to come back to Earth whenever he buzzed her in.

Maybe they could do something funny in future post credit scenes and have her show up in Fury's office after the events of Avengers 1 or 2. Then Fury can say "Oh well, you took a while to get back so...yeah...we took care of it."

I have a lot to say, and most of it aren't the nicest things, but I'll save that for later. Overall I'll say it was mediocre, and unsurprisingly safe.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    I haven't read what you hid in color. Is it a spoiler for Endgame? I saw your first sentence, and stopped reading. Fortunately. Not sure why you thought I'd want that spoiled.
    It might be a potential spoiler. At least, this is how i see it.
    And there is a definite spoiler regarding Goose.