Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    The movie-going public that have made this film a smash success don't agree with you.

I'm looking forward to Captain Marvel kicking Thanos' ass in Avengers Endgame!
    We can be fans of the MCU and fans of Captain Marvel, and still find fundamental flaws in the storytelling of this movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Except Yon Rogg totally had respect for her for the entire film, until she went against his tribe (the Kree).

The flashbacks were so simplistic, though. It was honestly hard to take them as some kind of serious moments that would have traumatized her. Hard to connect them in any way to her now. Especially because the entire premise of the movie was that she actually didn't remember her past. Its confusing!
    I think Yon-Rogg only pretended to respect her. She was just something to be used by him.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    We can be fans of the MCU and fans of Captain Marvel, and still find fundamental flaws in the storytelling of this movie.
    I'm not seeing the flaws BatKeaton says he sees.

Except Yon Rogg totally had respect for her for the entire film, until she went against his tribe (the Kree).
    I don't know if I'd agree with that. He was also lying to her and gaslighting her for the entire film - neither of which are actions of respect. It was about controlling her and her power, for the Kree. He was wearing a mask of respect, and once she went against him, he let the mask drop. He put it back on briefly ("I am so proud of you!") when he realized he had lost control of her completely in hopes of reining her back in.

... it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    The flashbacks full of people telling her she couldn’t do things and her final confrontation with Yon Rogg made it pretty explicit. Maybe you weren’t paying attention.
    Coal Tiger, I agree and I think they made the point so well that it doesn't even hit a viewer over the head with it. The point of her story seemed to just naturally flow out of the story, they did it so well.

I'm not seeing the flaws BatKeaton says he sees.
    I don't see them either... I'd rate Ragnarok among the best MCU films.

There seems a predilection of dismissing earnest criticism when box office returns suggest success. I can tell you there were SEVERAL things that worked -for me- and several that didn't. Like many others have said in this forum, I don't think Carol's character growth matched the narrative twist.

BANNED

The movie-going public that have made this film a smash success don't agree with you.

I'm looking forward to Captain Marvel kicking Thanos' ass in Avengers Endgame!
    Well, we're not talking about box office. 'Iron Man 3' used to be the most successful solo superhero movie, for instance

BANNED

Not good because it had some cheap FX (e.g. scenes where tendrils crawl across Brie's face ... lame); some unexplained plot twists (characters just conveniently showing up); some weird acid flashbacks that bogged down and confused the first act; awkward product placement of the Marvel brand into character's names; I could see the Brie pulling an Indy on Jude a mile away.

And the cat ... is this where the Simpson's quote "Holy flerkin schnitt!" comes from?

And all through the movie I swear that I heard "Scroll" -- "It's a Scroll infestation!" -- but apparently it's Skrull? No wonder the credits flerkin confused me there, mate.

BANNED

The flashbacks were so simplistic, though. It was honestly hard to take them as some kind of serious moments that would have traumatized her. Hard to connect them in any way to her now. Especially because the entire premise of the movie was that she actually didn't remember her past. Its confusing!
    I don’t think lying to someone about their past and who they really are is very respectful...

His “respect” was part of the ruse to control her. People lie when they need to manipulate an outcome they know the truth won’t give.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    I don’t think lying to someone about their past and who they really are is very respectful...

His “respect” was part of the ruse to control her. People lie when they need to manipulate an outcome they know the truth won’t give.
    No that was the Supreme Intelligence. It was the one who kept control of the Kree military and the one that covered up Carol's memories.

Yon Rogg was the squad leader, and didn't exhibit special control on Carol over any of the others in the squad, that I saw. Everything he did when she rebelled are things I could see him doing to any of the other Kree had they rebelled.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

No that was the Supreme Intelligence. It was the one who kept control of the Kree military and the one that covered up Carol's memories.

Yon Rogg was the squad leader, and didn't exhibit special control on Carol over any of the others in the squad, that I saw. Everything he did when she rebelled are things I could see him doing to any of the other Kree had they rebelled.
    He was quite complicit in it, if not a very active participant. He knew the truth. His own involvement in it was covered up. (IE - That he killed Mar-vell, not a skrull.) He made the call to scoop her up off of earth and deliver her back to the Kree after the crash/blast - that wasn't the Supreme Intelligence. When she told him she was on C-53, that little pause... that was his "Oh #$%!" moment when he knew the scheme was in danger. Then when he shoots the Skrull in the shed and the Skrull's all, "You're too late" and Yon-Rogg says, confirming, "She knows." At that point he knew the jig was completely up and they were going to have a problem.

His control over her came from the lies - the very notion that they gave her power and could take it away.

Even that bit during the brawl on Mar-vell's station where he mentioned how at least Carol used to amuse him - that was an indicator of condescension right there. Not, "Haha. My squad member has a great sense of humor," but more, "These human antics of hers are just adorable, so it makes having to deal with her somewhat better."

Extraordinary Member

Eh I think Rogg did have special control over Carol he did rename her and other squad members knew her real story while she didn't. He does get credit for recognizing her value and sparing her life Minerva was ready to kill her.

BANNED

Watched it today, I'm not sure if the approach with Carol to make her have a wry sense of human and a mellow demeanor was the right choice. We'll see how it plays in a team dynamic I suppose. Overall I thought it was a good movie and I was really impressed with how they handled the Skrulls. And the work they did to de-age Fury was simply stunning.

I just saw Rogg as being a loyal Kree, not specifically singling Carol out. But that may be my own view of Kree, independent of the movie.

The Skrull being good guys was kind of a similar stumbling block for me with this movie. Historically the Skrulls are equally rapacious as the Kree. There isn't really a moral side to take in the Kree-Skrull War.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I just saw Rogg as being a loyal Kree, not specifically singling Carol out. But that may be my own view of Kree, independent of the movie.

The Skrull being good guys was kind of a similar stumbling block for me with this movie. Historically the Skrulls are equally rapacious as the Kree. There isn't really a moral side to take in the Kree-Skrull War.
    Sure, Yon-Rogg was just being manipulative for his empire, a loyal soldier. That doesn't mean he gets a pass on being disrespectful. It's taking the example to the Nth degree, but in real history, most Nazis were just being loyal to their Third Reich. That doesn't excuse their war crimes. Actually, given that the Kree have been described in the comic books as practicing something like "Zen fascism," the fictional analogy to real-life fascists maybe a better analogy than I first thought.

Also, yes, the Skrulls are portrayed as victims in this movie, but as Talos indicated, his hands aren't clean. I wouldn't be so sure that the Skrulls aren't villains or villainous, or capable of seeming that way to humans if their goals conflict with Earth. The MCU has more movies to come and we might be surprised at what they do with the Skrulls next. There could easily be a Secret Invasion in the MCU's future.