Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I honestly feel dirty for giving it my money. Hopefully this is a 'success' like Batman V Superman and Last Jedi were 'successes'

It has an awfully slow pace that's unusually low on stakes or action. Apart from one flashback to her father when she was a kid, Carol has no tension with ANYONE, not Fury when he first meets her, not with Rambeau or her daughter, there's no sign of any real character development or struggle for Carol, no hero's journey, she gets her memories back very easily and with minimal struggle, they even play up the "proving ground" trope for laughs at the end when she gives Jude Law a photon blast. In a bit of clever subversion, the Skrulls turn out to be pretty nice people, but the Kree show up and despite having a brief advantage, you don't buy that they are a threat whatsoever. Finally, there's a big space battle where Carol just dominates and blitzes everyone. I'm sure some will cheer this, I wasn't one, I prefer my final battles to not be so blatantly one-sided

What a piece of ****. Once again, the MCU prove, at least to me, that the emperor is naked. 3/10.
    The only part of this I agree with is that they may have made a mistake by making her that powerful, that even Ronin the Accuser and his whole fleet essentially turn their tails to the sky and run away. I get that they were making her essentially Super"man" but the question becomes what can now be a threat to her.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I'd put it above those two plus Hulk, ironman 3 is better. Ima watch it one more time to decide if I put it above Dr Strange (Not a huge fan , he has been characterized better in each subsequent appearance since his own movie)
    I'd put it at about #6 among the 21 MCU movies bit to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I heard Fury got his eye scratched out by that cat. Is that really how he lost it? Tell me that's not true.
    Scratched out isn't quite accurate. Came across more like some growing infection until a little scratch from a house cat looks like a lion clawed his eye. Not my favorite way to explain how he got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    I took that final confrontation as him trying to goad her into killing him in a physical fight, since afterwards he said he can't return empty handed.
    I took it more as him goading her to fight him physically without using her powers because it was the only way he had a chance.

More than normal the truth is in the middle,It wasn't a amazing movie but it also wasn't a bad movie. It is somewhere between 5 and 8(10 scale) depending on your biases.

Thoughts

- Good Skrulls aren't a issue especially since Skrulls in Secret Invansion felt more like a cult/sect

- This movie has too much small things to set up,Which stop it from telling one clean good story

- It was a little cheesy at times which is where the big disconnect comes in ratings if you like the cheese in the film it worked,If not the film was bad.

-The knockdown but get back up flash back moment was on point. I am going watch movie with my wife for that one moment I think that was perfect female superhero moment that connects with females better than guys.

- Power level If you are not complaining about Thor jump into a star or implying that he would have won against Thanos full Infinity gauntlet if he just aimed at the head. Don't complain about Captian Marvel . She is meant to be silly powerful and is probably the Thor replacement for the future a bigger complaint is Vision with Infinity stone was a little wuss.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-08-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    More than normal the truth is in the middle,It wasn't a amazing movie but it also wasn't a bad movie. It is somewhere between 5 and 8(10 scale) depending on your biases.

Thoughts

- Good Skrulls aren't a issue especially since Skrulls in Secret Invansion felt more like a cult/sect

- This movie has to much small things to set up,Which stop it from telling one clean good story

- It was a little cheesy at times which is where the big disconnect comes in rating if you like cheesy the film worked,If not the film was bad.

-The knockdown but get back up flash back moment was on point. I am going watch movie with my wife for that one moment I think that was perfect female superhero moment that connects with females better than guys.

- Power level If you are not complaining about Thor jump in a star or implying that he would have won against Thanos full Infinity gauntlet if he just aimed at the head. Don't complain about Captian Marvel . She is meant to be silly powerful and is probably the Thor replacement for the future the bigger complaint is Vision with Infinity stone was a little wuss.
    Now that they introduced the Skrulls they could do a FF film with Super Skrull as a Super Powered Skrull Terrorist wanting revenge just because the ones in CM were good doesn't mean they all will be also I hope Mar-Vell had a son with a Skrull and Teddy is on Earth somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Thoughts

- This movie has too much small things to set up,Which stop it from telling one clean good story

- It was a little cheesy at times which is where the big disconnect comes in ratings if you like the cheese in the film it worked,If not the film was bad.

- Power level If you are not complaining about Thor jump into a star or implying that he would have won against Thanos full Infinity gauntlet if he just aimed at the head. Don't complain about Captian Marvel . She is meant to be silly powerful and is probably the Thor replacement for the future a bigger complaint is Vision with Infinity stone was a little wuss.
    That last one is definitely a great point. Almost nobody complained about that. Instead it was like, "Wow! Thor is awesomely macho and powerful."

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    That last one is definitely a great point. Almost nobody complained about that. Instead it was like, "Wow! Thor is awesomely macho and powerful."
    Do you read the description of the trailer shown to Dinsey investors with Thor and Captain Marvel? Sounds like a cool scene with Thor summoning storm breaker and going all God of thunder in Carol's face. When she doesnt flinch he says " I like this one" and walks away. Lol sounds like a good scene and I have no problem with either being a power house. Though u dont feel like Thors going anywhere just yet. Cap and Tony are for sure either dead or taking a big step back I can see Hemsworth playing this role for as long as Marvel will have him

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I didn't like Carol.

I'm not even sure what Brie Larson was going for with Vers' weird stiff personality and by-the-numbers sarcasm. I GET the fact that the Kree were psychologically and cybernetically inhibiting her, and that her personality is probably affected by those inhibitions, but she doesn't "flare-out" enough PRIOR to pulling out the implant to really showcase how outburst of anger are chastened by the machinery holding back her potential.

I kept wanting her to be bigger, to be louder, to be goofy, to be clumsy, to be more than simply a hardass --and then knocked down for it. For us to be shown, clearly, that emotional expression is 1. tied to her powers, and 2. punished by the implant. THAT's the feminist lesson, that society expects women to self-monitor, rather than delight in the freedom of expression.

Her "final form" should have been accompanied by balls-out fury and laughter and Howard Dean screams. I wanted her to laugh and thrill at her own ability to fly and survive spaceflight.
    I didn't see it that way. Your point of view is based on the premise that the chip was actually there because she had emotional problems. That's just what the Kree told her to keep the chip on and be able to turn her off, like Yon Rogg did in the movie. The fact that there were no scenes in the movie where her anger was an issue just told me that her anger wasn't really an issue. And it wasn't. That was kind of the whole emotional climax of the movie, confronting the Supreme Intelligence and seeing through the lie. At any rate, I've been a pretty big fan of the character in the comics and I've always thought her core character flaw was arrogance, not anger, and I think they at least planted the seeds for that to play a bigger role in future films.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I didn't like Carol.

I'm not even sure what Brie Larson was going for with Vers' weird stiff personality and by-the-numbers sarcasm. I GET the fact that the Kree were psychologically and cybernetically inhibiting her, and that her personality is probably affected by those inhibitions, but she doesn't "flare-out" enough PRIOR to pulling out the implant to really showcase how outburst of anger are chastened by the machinery holding back her potential.

I kept wanting her to be bigger, to be louder, to be goofy, to be clumsy, to be more than simply a hardass --and then knocked down for it. For us to be shown, clearly, that emotional expression is 1. tied to her powers, and 2. punished by the implant. THAT's the feminist lesson, that society expects women to self-monitor, rather than delight in the freedom of expression.

Her "final form" should have been accompanied by balls-out fury and laughter and Howard Dean screams. I wanted her to laugh and thrill at her own ability to fly and survive spaceflight.
    It's lose-lose for filmmakers. If they had gone more feminist-messaging then they'd have been accused of pushing an agenda. That they haven't, and simply made a good action/sci-fi film, means they get criticised for that too.

Women, even in fiction, still have to act a certain way. Waiting for when the likes of Tony Stark, Thor, Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Clint Barton, Bruce Banner, James Rhodes, Stephen Strange, Peter Quill, Drax Scott Lang and Hank Pym are critiqued this way.

What? I wanted to like the movie MORE. The sci-fi would’ve been better, the story would’ve been better, the character would’ve been better if the subtext was bold.

Note now I am not using spoiler tags, if you are in a thread titled captain marvel spoiler talk then its your own fault if you get spoiled not mine.

I honestly feel like Marvel made a bit of a dud. It will gross plenty but I don't think the movie was all that great. It was a 5-6 at best. Parts of it were rushed other parts to drawn out. In all honesty it looked like Marvel pulled a DCEU move here. Seen the success of wonder woman and rushed their own version of wonder woman out and it shows. Brie's acting fell flat for most of the movie. People saying they liked her as captain marvel what was to like she was stoic at times and others way to sarcastic. Its like pick a lane either your the serious one or you are the sarcastic one. Its like they tried to put to many hats on her. Lets make her an amalgam of what some of our best heroes already out there and it will win the day.

How she went from when being controlled and able to be knocked out with simple measures to as soon as the inhibitor chip was taken off to fully mastering her powers that fast was extremely rushed. "Oh i can't control them when i have a control chip in place, but when I have it off I have full mastery of my powers." I didn't buy it.

As for the people questioning why or giving reasons for why Fury waited till Thanos to call Captain Marvel, i don't buy it. Especially the one I read about some one saying on here he was afraid that Captain Marvel would take the tesserect back. That isn't really plausible to me because he ended up giving it to Thor to take off world anyways.

Astonishing Member

I saw this here in Australia last Wednesday. So am glad I can finally talk about it now it is out there in general release. I went in not expecting to like it. Carol Danvers isn't a bad character (no character is ever bad. It all stems from the story/ability of the storyteller.) However, the way she has been depicted in the comics at times has never gelled well with me. In Civil War 2 she was a square peg forced into a round hole to meet the needs of the story being told (Bendis!) And her last series before Legacy had a feminist agenda that was like being hit over the head with a hammer (I think I still carry the bruises to prove it.)

In saying that, I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I think a big part of that is due to the fact it is a prequel. It definitely benefits from being a decade or so before Iron-man. Which meant it could do its own thing and not have to worry too much about having to fit a larger puzzle like the last few films have. Yes, it does have certain boxes to tick. But it did feel like a blank canvas at times and that was refreshing.

How was Brie Larson? I think she did remarkably well. Take a moment and imagine the pressure she had on her shoulders with this movie. Marvel is a juggernaut with 21 films and counting. The highest grossing film franchise ever. But despite strong showings from female characters (Hope and Natasha), this is the first film dedicated to a superheroine. Not only that, but the success of Wonder Woman meant this film had a lot of expectations. For the most part, it is a success.

As for her portrayal of Carol? She was very likable and spunky. There were a few times where she was cocky, but that is only natural given her backstory and the fact she was in the Air Force. I know a few Flyboys and they are the exact same. She also had excellent chemistry with Sam Jackson. I have often been critical of Nick Fury popping up in other films (Iron-man 2 was derailed due to having to set up SHIELD), but here? Not only did it make sense storywise, It was also a smart move for audiences unsure of Carol as a character. But both gave great performances. In fact, the entire cast did a good job.

The film was slow to begin with, but once it hits its stride, it draws you in. I love slow burn mysteries anyway, so I appreciated what they were going for here. Even though I can understand most may have been put off by it. I won't deny there weren't some pacing issues, because there were. But most of the Marvel films have some issues here and there. Given the amount of story this film crams into 2 hours, it juggled them pretty well.

I loved the addition of the Skrulls and Kree (I really hope what was seeded here leads to a potential Kree/Skrull War adaptation or Secret Invasion! Down the road.) It has been long overdue and I was pleased to see the films going for cosmic. Now all we need is more supernatural based ones and I'll be in nerd boy heaven. The subverting of the two races may not sit well with the fan base, but there are good and bad aspects to both in the comics.

"I'm just a girl" playing during the major fight sequence was a bit on the nose. But what Marvel Film doesn't have its share of cheese? They all do. I didn't particularly like it, but it is what it is. In the end it doesn't really matter.

Would I see it again? Yes. Would I see the sequel? You bet. Because it does leave it open for interesting directions. For now, this is a fitting, albeit slightly flawed, addition to the Marvel Cinematic tapestry. It is certainly in my top 10.

Incredible Member

Curious how people want to see a sequel, grounded on earth movie, or more space based? I think having it on earth you can keep growing the planted seeds of Monica which I’m hoping will flourish into something but you also risk having this behemoth powered character who after that scene with the accusers ships made me think “why would I want to see her stick to earth when I can see more of this” I honestly hope we can see more space more aliens, heck maybe sword or alpha flight so we get a mix of earth and space stories.

I enjoyed the movie, the 90’s nostalgia alone made it fun, the Stan Lee tribute made me emotional and our theater cheered and clapped. Curious to see how Carol’s personality and presence mixes with others, I’d like to assume she’s at least heard of thanks in her travels. Fury’s eye though oh man... I liked how they teased him about his eye being okay in the early parts. Curious why they went with the mar-vell gender bend. Either way enjoyed the movie as a whole excited to see what the Russo’s do with the character this powerful compared to our other heroes who seem a bit outclassed now.

Extraordinary Member

To anyone who has or is going to complain about how the male trainees in the USAF are portrayed, I would only say this.

Did you spit blood about they way male trainees, officers, and drill sergeants were shown treating a 90 pound Steve Rogers in The First Avenger?

I give this movie 8.5 out of 10. I enjoyed it more than Black Panther and Homecoming. Brie Larson does a great job of portraying a character who is confident and capable without being arrogant. And the message of the movie, that it is not about how many times you get knocked down but how many times you get back up, is cleverly presented.

Supporting cast are great - LOVED the twist with the Skrulls, and the hark backs to both the 90's in general and SHIELD history in particular were much appreciated.

I am really hoping that Steve and Carol get to compare notes about their similar backgrounds sometime in Endgame

I will see this one again at the movies for sure.
    Last edited by brettc1; 03-09-2019 at 12:49 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor