Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Larson was miscast you can tell she was trying too hard and we got a bit of mess of a performance in the end. There wasn't that wow scene either like the Trench moment in WW. The film wasn't bad just forgettable like 90% of MCU movies and lacked any visual style at all. Seriously compare the directing style of the last CBM movie AM and this looks like your average epsiode of Supergirl!

The cockpit line was pretty cringe and forced.
    That was the point I think.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Larson was the perfect choice imo. This might have been the only time that I enjoyed a Ben Mendelsohn performance. Just didn't see the fuss people were making over him.

It took Thor three movies to find the right combination of actor/tone/cast chemistry. Now that all the set pieces are in place, maybe someone like Nebula can have a ton of fun with the women in CM2.

Gotta say, Captain Marvel was a hell of a fun movie, especially for someone who grew up in the 90s. I loved the nostalgic tie-ins...

If I had one gripe its that they made Fury too much of a smart-ass... Every line he had in the movie was some sort of wisecrack. But overall, it accomplished what it should have, which is that it was a fun experience. Brie Larson was great and really most of the cast did good work with their characters. Mendelsohn, as usual, was a stand out...

BANNED

For me the most cringey part was the very brief shot of her and her friend singing karaoke. It just reminded me of every crappy advert where people are doing these things to show they are awesome unique quirky people.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Brie Larson was the least interesting character in her own movie. I found her performance to be wooden and she didn't have much of a personality. It's hard for me to believe she's a character who let's her emotions get the better of her when she doesn't get to show it.

I don't like what this movie did to the skrulls. A race of alien infiltrators not being a power player or having their own agenda of some kind rubbed me the wrong way. I want to see them wreck **** and got the complete opposite. Give me the world conquering skrulls please.

trente-et-un/treize responsarbre's Avatar

I think it had a little bit of a tone problem, similar to the Guardians movies. I absolutely LOVED the Just A Girl fight sequence, and I wish the rest of the movie had been able to strike that exact tone. There were definitely plenty of flashes of it everywhere else -- I think the Blockbuster scenes with everyone being confused by her crazy talk were great -- but the other scenes were both too serious and not serious enough. It's fairly similar to a 90s superhero flick in that way.

The little kid flashbacks didn't really do it for me; they were awkward and they didn't have as much heart. I feel like they should have opened on the kid flashbacks and given them some higher stakes/more emotional impact, but I suppose that carried the risk of being too similar to Guardians.

The revamped origin was great, and so was the use of the Skrulls.

Nick Fury was great in this; I don't know why people were saying he was out-of-character? He came off less cynical and authoritative, but this movie clearly takes place before he grew cynical and before he had authority.

I also wish they had done a better job selling Maria and Carol's chemistry in the reunion scenes. I get that Carol has amnesia now, but their friendship was so convincing in the flashbacks that I wanted to see a little more of a reaction from Maria when Carol came back.

The decision to boost her all the way to Binary-level was also kind of shocking considering how limited her powers had been. I wonder if that'll last?

Overall, it was pretty enjoyable, though victim to some spots of blandness.
    Last edited by responsarbre; 03-09-2019 at 11:59 PM. Reason: clarity

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Saw it. Liked it. Claims that Brie Larson was miscast are nuts, she was the best thing about this flick. As far as the Marvel Origin films go, this one is second or third on my list. Iron Man/Captain America: The first Avenger/Captain Marvel.

The only bad thing about this movie was the chitzy soundtrack. 'Celebrity Skin' when they could have played Violet? 'I'm only happy when it rains' when they could have played Number One crush? 'I'm just a girl' when they could have played literally anything else? Annette Benning jamming to Come as you are was pretty on point, though.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RyDub View Post

How she went from when being controlled and able to be knocked out with simple measures to as soon as the inhibitor chip was taken off to fully mastering her powers that fast was extremely rushed. "Oh i can't control them when i have a control chip in place, but when I have it off I have full mastery of my powers." I didn't buy it.
    She had those powers for six years, dude. There was no suddenly about anything, she probably figured this stuff out years ago but never had an opportunity to do anything with it because of the inhibitor chip.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I wanted to like this, but I think the film is a mixed bag that can't seem to get out of its own way too often. With some re-editing and restructuring to expand on Carol's childhood and put it at the beginning of the film, I think the whole film would work much better. As it is, Carol is pretty much the least interesting character in her own movie, which is a pretty big problem the film never quite overcomes.

There's a lot of great stuff in the movie, but the filmmakers just automatically assumed we're going to like her and be invested in her from the start and you can't really get away with that unless you've got a killer opening sequence that gets the audience on board with the protagonist.

I understand they were trying to do something different with the superhero origin story, but there's a reason those tropes are seen so often--because they work.

That said, I liked the twist with the Skrulls and the CGI was pretty. Sam Jackson and Ben Mendleson were clearly enjoying themselves. Ironically, it was the female characters who felt underserved. Carol never clicked with me when that kinda cocky hotshot fighter pilot archetype is my jam. They ran into the same problem the Green Lantern movie did in not spending enough time getting us to care about Hal Jordan. A couple quick flashbacks to their childhoods is simply not enough. It doesn't have to be long, but we need to see them at those embryonic stages to buy the adults they become. It's one of the smartest moves Donner & Jenkins made with Superman & Wonder Woman.

And the actress playing Monica Rambeaux's mom was completely wasted. I would have thought Marvel would have gotten over it's "black best friend who's only there to help out the white lead" shtick, but that's pretty much the only purpose she served. At least Rhodey and Sam were given enough good lines so that those characters could coast on the natural charisma of the actors, but this actress wasn't even given that.

I dunno, it's a shame. They had all the elements for a good film here, but it just didn't come together in any satisfying way for me.
    Last edited by Bored at 3:00AM; 03-09-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Just back from seeing it. I thought it was alright, wasn't blown away at the beginning but I was feeling it by the time the third act rolled around. They over did the '90s jokes, but I could appreciate some of them. Would have liked it better if the crowd in the back of the theatre stopped chatting earlier into the movie, but that cannot be helped.

My friend loved it, he's definitely more of a casual comics fan (as if that means anything) but he was absolutely giddy throughout the whole thing. He asked me to tell him about some of the changes afterwards, but we realized very quickly that would be a boring conversation as well as an awful series of films. He was even more excited when he realized that with Monica in the MCU it's now possible for a Nextwave movie.

Could have used some Four Non Blonds music.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Again, I feel like I'm watching a different movie than some of the people on this board. I thought this was a fun, 90's nostalgia romp. If Brie came off as wooden at times, I felt that was just the brainwashing she underwent. And that faded with time.

I loved the tribute to Stan in the beginning, and I loved his cameo. Of course, this would be the first and only time that Stan Lee played himself in his cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Larson was the perfect choice imo. This might have been the only time that I enjoyed a Ben Mendelsohn performance. Just didn't see the fuss people were making over him.

I actually thought that Ben was really good in Darkest Hour as King George. His scene with Gary Oldman near the end of the movie really won me over for him.

Quote Originally Posted by ysosrs View Post
    Gotta say, Captain Marvel was a hell of a fun movie, especially for someone who grew up in the 90s. I loved the nostalgic tie-ins...

If I had one gripe its that they made Fury too much of a smart-ass... Every line he had in the movie was some sort of wisecrack. But overall, it accomplished what it should have, which is that it was a fun experience. Brie Larson was great and really most of the cast did good work with their characters. Mendelsohn, as usual, was a stand out...
    I can agree with that. It's just weird to see an optimistic Nick Fury.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Brie Larson was the least interesting character in her own movie. I found her performance to be wooden and she didn't have much of a personality. It's hard for me to believe she's a character who let's her emotions get the better of her when she doesn't get to show it.

I don't like what this movie did to the skrulls. A race of alien infiltrators not being a power player or having their own agenda of some kind rubbed me the wrong way. I want to see them wreck **** and got the complete opposite. Give me the world conquering skrulls please.
    I've said my piece on Brie. As for the Skrulls- I actually really liked that twist. Everyone was expecting the Skrulls to be the big bad; nobody could see this swerve coming. Besides, just because these Skrulls are good, doesn't mean their aren't evil Skrulls out there.

The only scene that I didn't like was the biker. The whole 'give me a smile' really felt like it was added in at the last minute after that whole deal where people complained that Brie didn't smile enough in the trailer.

My biggest complaint is the actress that played Rambeau. She's the one that felt completely wooden and unconvincing. The girl playing her daughter was a better actress.
    Last edited by AnakinFlair; 03-09-2019 at 05:13 PM.

BANNED

Larson was miscast you can tell she was trying too hard and we got a bit of mess of a performance in the end. There wasn't that wow scene either like the Trench moment in WW. The film wasn't bad just forgettable like 90% of MCU movies and lacked any visual style at all. Seriously compare the directing style of the last CBM movie AM and this looks like your average epsiode of Supergirl!

One of the reasons I was anxious to see the film was the trailer and I read somewhere that Larson was impressed by Blunt's performance in Edge of Tomorrow. So I thought I would be getting a performance along those lines. Instead I got the exact opposite. Instead of getting a cool confident, I got an overgrown teenage girl who just ran her mouth and went over the top in trying to prove herself. True strength comes from within. And it can be displayed in manner and attitude.Gemma Chan's character was actually much more admirable and the epitome of a powerful woman. Anytime I see someone going over board trying to show what a 'badass'' they are. I just get the opposite impression: and that's insecurity.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Larson was so rad. She carries the whole thing.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hero.

Not every Kree is a noble warrior hero.

I enjoyed the movie. It's easily one of the better debut solo outings. It's got its flaws and mistakes, but I dunno what some of ya'll are bitching about.
    For real.

Some of the nitpicks...I just dont get it. It wasn't the best thing ever but it was solid and seldom are these big things ever perfect. I enjoyed it!