Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I forgot to post my thoughts on the film, itself......I thought it was quite good. Not one of the best Marvel films, but somewhat mid-upper tier. An excellent origin story, and I felt it was far better than the overrated Wonder Woman movie.

Wasn't saying Ronan could take Thor, but, unless he was powered up right before GotG (As AnakinFlair suggested), he would've posed problems for Thor in a one-on-one match-up. Having his fleet as back-up would likely take Thor out.
    I genuinely dont remember him doing anything impressive prior to putting the power stone in his hammer. Havent watched the movie in awhile, he bitch slapped Drax who just seems to be durable and not that strong anyway. Groot was the powerhouse. And iono Thor took the power of a sun iono if Ronans ships are gonna hurt him at this point anymore and I dont think Ronan stands a chance. Now with the power stone he took a blast that could destroy the moon and some other impressive stuff but prior all I remember is him smacking Drax and ivr seen Gamora do more impressive strength feats then drax. I definetly could be forgetting something havent watched it in awhile

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    That's what I'm thinking. The blood transfusion was even in the trailer... it just never made it into the final movie.

As AoS has taught us, Kree blood can do some interesting things to the human body.
    It did make it into the movie, Jude laws tricks a skrull with that info and tells Carol it's his Blood flowing through her

By the way do you guys think he genuinely cared about Carol? Cause when he said he was proud of her I believed him. The rest the crap he said was just to try to get her to fight him hand to hand so he had a chance. But I believe he cared about her.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    It did make it into the movie, Jude laws tricks a skrull with that info and tells Carol it's his Blood flowing through her
    It was mentioned, but we never actually saw her with the proverbial needle in her arm. The visual of that was in the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    By the way do you guys think he genuinely cared about Carol? Cause when he said he was proud of her I believed him. The rest the crap he said was just to try to get her to fight him hand to hand so he had a chance. But I believe he cared about her.
    Cared, in a twisted way, perhaps... but I don't think he respected her at all. She was a project, not a true comrade in arms.

Cared, in a twisted way, perhaps... but I don't think he respected her at all. She was a project, not a true comrade in arms.
    Should Vers and Yonn been in a relationship? Granted, it was nice to see a heroine without one, but it would've had shades of Total Recall.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Should Vers and Yonn been in a relationship? Granted, it was nice to see a heroine without one, but it would've had shades of Total Recall.
    I'm glad they weren't. I think that would be been awful. (Mostly due to his lack of respect for her, and general view of her as something lesser to be controlled.)

As an aside, I'm also glad they didn't do a romantic plotline in the movie. Carol doesn't really have a "classic" love interest (IE - she's had boyfriends, but doesn't have anyone like MJ is to Spidey, for example)... so shoehorning someone in would have been forced and unnecessary, and somewhat detracting from the message.

Astonishing Member

I'm glad they weren't. I think that would be been awful. (Mostly due to his lack of respect for her, and general view of her as something lesser to be controlled.)
    Yes, also very rapey as he was the person responsible for her being mindwiped, and who knows what else they did with her mind.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Yeah any mention of them having a one sided romantic relationship would have had fans bring up Marcus... and Marvel sure as hell don’t want casual audiences knowing about Marcus anymore than about what Hank Pym was basically known best for in the comics.

I find it interesting that we now have four heroes in the MCU directly connected to the power of the Infinity Stones - Carol with the Space Stone and Wanda, Pietro and Vision with the Mind Stone.

Really liked the movie. Pretty good origin story, Brie Larson was well-cast and did a good job. Carol's interactions with Fury and Maria were well-done, although I wish we could've seen more of the latter (maybe in the sequel?). The cat was perfect. I wish that the Starforce squad had been more fleshed out beyond just Yon-Rogg; it would've made the reveal that they were the bad guys and subsequent fight more emotional. Still, really good and did a good job of wrapping itself up but still leaving room for sequels to build off of.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I honestly feel dirty for giving it my money. Hopefully this is a 'success' like Batman V Superman and Last Jedi were 'successes'
    Last Jedi actually was a success (most profitable movie of the year), and while I don't thing Captain Marvel will be the biggest movie this year, all signs point to it being a legitimate success as well.

It has an awfully slow pace that's unusually low on stakes or action.
    I will concede that it is a little show until Carol is captured by the Kree. After that, I think things click.

Apart from one flashback to her father when she was a kid, Carol has no tension with ANYONE, not Fury when he first meets her, not with Rambeau or her daughter...
    Uh, of course she has tension. Take a look at her interactions with the Kree before the reveal and Yon-Rogg and the Supreme Intelligence after his deception is revealed. Fury and the Rambeaus really weren't the characters to have tension with (buddy cop partner and surrogate family respectively).

...there's no sign of any real character development or struggle for Carol, no hero's journey...
    Carol's story isn't a "hero's journey" (we meet her when she's already a trained solider twice over). Her story is "Who am I?" Think. The very first things we learn about her are that she has significant amnesia about her past up til six years ago and is haunted by it (she brings it up to both Yon-Rodd and the Supreme Intelligence, who give her variations of the "don't get distracted from you duty" answer). Once she realizes that she has ties to Earth that are unclear, working that out becomes a secondary goal alongside her trying to solve the Skrull problem. The turning point of her mission involving the Skrulls is her "I don't know who I am" scene and the answers to both the Skrull situation and her own identity are intertwined.

Finally, the key point of the climax is where she meets the Supreme Intelligence for the second time. While she may have defected from the Kree prior, that's the point where she officially reasserts herself. She wins by rejecting the identity that the Kree were forcing on her ("I am Carol"), rejecting their claims that they're the ones who made her anything (her powers were from the engine and her humanity is what allowed her to get up every time she went down), and their methods of controlling her (ripping off the chip preventing her from using her powers at full ability). She wins by finding who she is, not what other people want her to be. That's her development, that her struggle, that's her journey.

...she gets her memories back very easily and with minimal struggle...
    Except she doesn't. It's stated at the beginning that she's had nightmares based on the fragments of Yon-Rogg kidnapping her that's she's never been able to shake, despite everyone telling her to let it go. She doesn't get anything else until the Kree are tying to mind-read her (and she's confused as all heck about that). I mean, when she reports back to her squad, she clearly is still confused about it all. She gets a few more fragments at that bar and the Rambeaus show her her old stuff and tell her about old times. It's not until Talos is able to provide the black box data about her fateful crash that she's able to piece everything together. That's a good chunk of the movie and it didn't come easy.

they even play up the "proving ground" trope for laughs at the end when she gives Jude Law a photon blast.
    That was a perfect conclusion to that. On one level, the proving ground thing has been overdone, we need a change of pace (this's Indy shooting the swordsman in Raiders of the Lost Ark). Besides, it was a very smart tactical decision. We've been shown time and time again that Carol cannot beat Yon-Rogg in hand-to-hand combat, so not agreeing to the terms is the best, if not only, way to win.

It also works perfectly as a conclusion to Carol's story; she's spent the last six years with the Kree controlling her, now she gets to finish it all on her terms. Besides, as she points out, she doesn't need Yon-Rogg's approval or validation by defeating him in a melee duel. (The scene was also the perfect metaphor for the whole smear campaign against the movie and Brie Larson herself; the "battle" was a completely one-sided victory for the film and neither it or Larson needed to prove anything to their detractors.)

In a bit of clever subversion, the Skrulls turn out to be pretty nice people...
    Yeah, liked that, too.

...but the Kree show up and despite having a brief advantage, you don't buy that they are a threat whatsoever.
    Not so sure about that; the only reason the heroes win is because Carol was able to win her battle of the minds with the Supreme Intelligence" (and notice that she had to work pretty hard to defeat her sqaudmates), Talos was able to impersonate a Kree soldier (which was not a sure win), and Maria was able to shoot and kill Minn-Erva in the dog fight (which we saw was pretty evenly matched). Of course the good guys did have a Flerken, which proved to be a great equalizer, but even he (or she?) was shown to be able to be overcame if the Kree did it right (e.g. muzzling it like Hannibal Lector). Besides, this's a superhero movie, we kinda know going in that the heroes will save the day in the end.

Finally, there's a big space battle where Carol just dominates and blitzes everyone. I'm sure some will cheer this, I wasn't one, I prefer my final battles to not be so blatantly one-sided
    All the other fighting was shown to be more balanced, so I think it can pass.

What a piece of ****. Once again, the MCU prove, at least to me, that the emperor is naked. 3/10.
    Fair enough if you think so, but I can't agree.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Oh, I just remembered my biggest issue with the movie (I really enjoyed it overall and I enjoy it more each time I think about it). I found the soundtrack to be off. I know that pop music is going to be a part of most Marvel movies from here on out since Guardians, but I don't think they nailed it here. James Gunn did a very good job curating the music to a mixtape that would make sense, but this seems like they went for songs they wanted and didn't pay too much attention. For example, Come as You Are was released in 1992, so there's no way it would have been in Carol's memory, which is what I read that scene to be. And I'm Just a Girl came out in 1995 (the year the film took place), so how would it have been on a record in the laboratory that was supposedly abandoned after Lawson's death in the late 80s.

Just a couple quibbles. I actually didn't hate both songs being in the movie, but the way they were used took me out of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Oh, I just remembered my biggest issue with the movie (I really enjoyed it overall and I enjoy it more each time I think about it). I found the soundtrack to be off. I know that pop music is going to be a part of most Marvel movies from here on out since Guardians, but I don't think they nailed it here. James Gunn did a very good job curating the music to a mixtape that would make sense, but this seems like they went for songs they wanted and didn't pay too much attention. For example, Come as You Are was released in 1992, so there's no way it would have been in Carol's memory, which is what I read that scene to be. And I'm Just a Girl came out in 1995 (the year the film took place), so how would it have been on a record in the laboratory that was supposedly abandoned after Lawson's death in the late 80s.

Just a couple quibbles. I actually didn't hate both songs being in the movie, but the way they were used took me out of the movie.
    I thought that song was just in the soundtrack, not something that was "really" playing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Before knowing it was Talos who I knew mendelson was playing I thought The actor under the make up was black. Like the way he talked iono I really liked it but before I realized he was Talos in the beginning I was trying to figure out what black actor was voicing the character. Same thing happened to me with Tom Hardy in Venom trailer narration. I told myself wow I didnt know Terrance Howard was in this

I liked the movie overall but I thought the ending was pretty much Wonder Woman wasn't it? Some device holding her back and she lets it go to become really powerful to beat the bad guy. Only the Wonder Woman moment was at the very very end and this movie had a ton of action after she'd lost the neck device. Ruined any tension or anything once she became really powerful.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I liked the movie overall but I thought the ending was pretty much Wonder Woman wasn't it? Some device holding her back and she lets it go to become really powerful to beat the bad guy. Only the Wonder Woman moment was at the very very end and this movie had a ton of action after she'd lost the neck device. Ruined any tension or anything once she became really powerful.
    Yeah and I definitely felt she needed to struggle a bit especially since she's using those powers for the very first time. I mean she's literally flying for the first time and she's immediately got a handle of those powers like she's a pro or something which took me out of it therefore really lessened the stakes of the climax for me.

Movie overall I thought was mediocre and forgettable otherwise. Its really a harmless movie that's simply not worth much of the pre-release backlash its got. At least in case of the Last Jedi I could sort of understand a little bit the impetus for the backlash since that was after the release and it had nothing to do with what an actor said largely being taken out of context, and unlike this movie (that mostly plays it safe) that movie took some actual creative risks.

This movie was super vanilla and I even got a few Green Lantern vibes out of it.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 03-13-2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: I need to be a grammar-Nazi more, darn it!
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Yeah and I definitely felt she needed to struggle a bit especially since she's using those powers for the very first time. I mean she's literally flying for the first time and she's immediately got a handle of those powers like she's a pro or something and which took me out of it and really lessened the stakes of the climax for me.
    I would have liked to see them dedicate a bigger moment to her realizing she could fly. Flight has always been her thing. That should have been a moment of utter joy.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I thought that song was just in the soundtrack, not something that was "really" playing.
    I thought it was on the jukebox. I could be wrong though, I'd have to watch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    In fairness, something holding a hero back only to be taken away in act 3 so that they do the thing that solves the conflict is a pretty common trope in movies. It happened it at least 2 Thor movies, kind of in both Guardians movies. Even the first Star Wars had Luke finally understand the force, which lead to the destruction of the Death Star.

I will agree with you though, Carol got way over powered at the end there. At least in the movies I mentioned it was to come up to the villain's power level.