Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    You could say it was trying to do too much, but it seemed to pull most of your list off very well, which is why I have such high praise for the editing. So many of the scenes could have been baggy and over long, but it was as tight as a coiled spring, with hardly a second wasted. There were scenes where all the camera waits for is an interesting facial expression from Larson, and as soon as we glean her emotion it is immediately cut with split second timing. The edit probably shaves off minutes, keeping everything on track and driving forwards. Every action has her intent carried over into the next cut or scene. Almost forcing us to identify with her.

Your list of things seems to imply that it is doing a lot but it is doing no more than any large story. Most genre movies have a lot of exposition and world building to get through. This movie reminds me a lot of Fellowship of the Ring for example. Plus the Teseract was a spoil of war regardless of who had it when, so no real explanation was needed and I don’t see why that is on your list.

We kind of know who the Kree are in the first mission briefing, we get the full picture laid out in a combination of indirect exposition, the Supreme Intelligence scenes and the clever use of Ronan before he goes rogue, showing an internal tension in their empire. We get our overall impression of the Skrulls from a mixture of indirect exposition and a quick info dump in the set up for the final scene. They masterfully imply that there is more to the Skrulls, and that war leaves blood on Talos’s hands, allowing for a more aggressive Skrull presence if needed later.

As to the eye, I was initially shocked, thinking that can’t be it, but also loved the way he just casually blows it off as a mere scratch. It simultaneously makes us laugh and realise how hard Fury must be. It is almost incomprehensible that anyone could suffer that wound so lightly.
    You make good points and It does pull off the list but that doesn't mean it wasn't do too much from the aspect of it is a Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers movie it suffered slightly because it was focusing on too many places IMO. So it was "telling us" in places they should have been "showing us". That is difference between a great movie and good movie.Think all of the flashback scenes The go cart scene , the military scene with ropes, the scene at the bar where a-holes bother her, her time with Maria. Had they fleshed out these moments into good scenes the movie would have been a classic because that is where the emotional attachment to character comes from and final moment against supreme intelligence would have even more punch.

I like the movie don't get me wrong but it won't hold up as well over time because they didn't do the work in that area. Had they spend the fleshing out those flashbacks people would have been more emotional invested in the movie. Why was Dr Lawson her biggest inspiration? Show us don't tell us. Instead of telling us Maria is her best friend show us the flesh out scene where they become good friends and we believe it. If they could have mixed that in and draw us in a little more it would have been better but it is still pretty good movie.

This movie just can’t be accused of telling not showing. That criticism is overused and not particularly relevant for this kind of story. Believe me, I am an obsessive show not tell writer in my own work, but where that often used criticism falls down is when there is a large amount of world building and background to recount. This movie goes out of its way to show what it could tell. It uses memory technology, and a virtual reality character that is designed to add context and backstory. The fact remains that exposition is always necessary in genre movies unless the setting is ultimately familiar or the writer wants to tell the whole backstory (six hour film anybody?). Flashback is always exposition Just because we see it all doesn’t have anything to do with show or tell.

The term ‘show don’t tell’ has slowly drifted its meaning far away from its original intent. It was an approach to character and action. This movie uses that technique constantly. Indeed this is exactly what I was talking about with the editing focusing on Carol’s emotional intent. I would defy anyone to tell this story more efficiently and with less telling or indeed less exposition.

What you are describing is not ‘telling’, it is ‘indirect exposition’. Incidentally it is also using show don’t tell in that exposition. The emotional resonance comes through. We feel her determination and her resolve. The last thing this movie needed is what you are calling for which is direct exposition in the form of a scene dedicated to it. Then it would rightly be criticised as a Captain America retelling, or as just another origin story.

That is not to take away from the underlying criticism inherent in your thoughts. Many reviews have expressed that the amnesia plot line is a problem. It has the danger of alienating and muddying the plot. Except that this is always going to be subjective depending upon how well the emotional and empathetic elements play to the viewer. The movie goes out of its way to engage that empathy, and that is its main technique to carry the viewer through. For me it worked.

Look for a contrast at the Daredevil scene with Frank Castle in the graveyard. That entirely uses the actor telling us his backstory, and it is in my opinion more powerful than any amount of showing that they used in his own series. Because even with a character narrating you can show with a good actor. We see his pain.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-14-2019 at 01:36 AM.

The more I think about it the more I hate how Fury lost his eye. Just feels really stupid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    The more I think about it the more I hate how Fury lost his eye. Just feels really stupid.
    Eh for PG-13 you only get one "************" for the whole movie, and saving it for that scene was a pretty funny surprise.

The movie was pretty good I like it more than SMHC and AnW but not as much as AIW BP or Thor 3 allso was it just me or was some of the CGI not that great like the space part in the end just seemed off to me like it's not going to age well.
    Last edited by choptop; 03-14-2019 at 03:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Eh for PG-13 you only get one "************" for the whole movie, and saving it for that scene was a pretty funny surprise.
    I feel like Fury would lose his eye in a more grounded type of story. It's like when they brought Jason Todd back, it was Superboy's punch that punched reality or whatever. Didn't fit into the Batman section of the Universe. Fury feels morel like a Cap section of the universe. I don't know that probably doesn't make any sense haha

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I feel like Fury would lose his eye in a more grounded type of story. It's like when they brought Jason Todd back, it was Superboy's punch that punched reality or whatever. Didn't fit into the Batman section of the Universe. Fury feels morel like a Cap section of the universe. I don't know that probably doesn't make any sense haha
    The MCU films tend to all be high concept stories though, they save most of the street level stuff for the ancillary media, and I can't see them bringing Sam Jackson to guest star in one of those series just to show the origin of the eye patch.

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Wait he said that? Lol I saw it twice how did I not notice Jackson saying his most famous line. It's when Goose scratches him? Gets big laughs so maybe that's why I ddint hear

fun Marvel movie. The best moment is probably when Carol overcomes the supreme intelligence that was powerful.

Nitpicks. Thought the middle was a little to quick, specifically. When Fury meets Carol than the Skrulls attacks. I would have actually had them take her into custody or try to than a few minutes later all craziness breaks out. Also not sure what that Skrulls plan was. I was okay with the archive scene when I watched it at the movies but now that I'm thinking about it that played out a little peculiarly.

Then I thought the acceptance of who she was after the Black Box with he speech from Monica was a little too brief. I mean that's a major revelation. Still I'm sure some people enjoyed the quick pacing of the middle but those are my nitpicks.

Now onto my one problem with the film. How Fury loses his eye. Who okayed this?! WHO?! Winter Soldier strongly alludes to this going down differently.
    The J-man

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Fury also lies. A lot. (You’d probably even find that in his job description somewhere if you search the fine print).

That’s kind of Steve’s issue with Nick/SHIELD during the first half or so of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    fun Marvel movie. The best moment is probably when Carol overcomes the supreme intelligence that was powerful.

Nitpicks. Thought the middle was a little to quick, specifically. When Fury meets Carol than the Skrulls attacks. I would have actually had them take her into custody or try to than a few minutes later all craziness breaks out. Also not sure what that Skrulls plan was. I was okay with the archive scene when I watched it at the movies but now that I'm thinking about it that played out a little peculiarly.

Then I thought the acceptance of who she was after the Black Box with he speech from Monica was a little too brief. I mean that's a major revelation. Still I'm sure some people enjoyed the quick pacing of the middle but those are my nitpicks.

Now onto my one problem with the film. How Fury loses his eye. Who okayed this?! WHO?! Winter Soldier strongly alludes to this going down differently.
    TWS he also uses his damaged eye as a retinal scan and Captain Marvel they bring him fake eyes. Do those go over his damaged eye or was he just suppose to pop his eye out and put a fake one in? Kinda smart keeping the damaged eyes because a skrull cant replicate it and use it to get into Shield stuff because they cant see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Still I'm sure some people enjoyed the quick pacing of the middle but those are my nitpicks.
    Yep. Absolutely loved every second of the pacing. This movie is a pacing masterpiece IMO.

Of all the MCU movies, the editing here is the most impressive.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-15-2019 at 01:30 AM.

I have been thinking about the act structure of this movie, partly because so many reviewers describe it as a three act story, and yet it never felt like that to me. I decided to try and map the story onto a four act structure and see how it sits. I actually wonder if many of the MCU movies are truely three act stories, but I have never given it that much thought before. Generally I have a reasonably good sense of when the curtain is metaphorically descending in a movie, but act structures are a writing tool, not for the audience. They can help reviewers, but only if they actually understand writing, which is frustratingly rare these days.

Anyway, here is how I think this movie was structured at script stage.

Act 1
    Introduced to Carol’s basic abilities and her amnesia, introduced to her opponent. We get an understanding of her wider enemy’s abilities and existence as a warrior race. Leads up to her capture and the memory device and sends her crashing to Earth.

Act 2
    In a strange world she is mostly in reaction mode, so we are introduced to her ally Fury. He is established as able to keep up with her, has the knowledge she needs to seek her past, has the espionage skills and tenacity to help her pursue her goal. Meanwhile Carol’s limited understanding of the situation gets her into trouble as her pursuers know slightly more than her about the goal and have their own agenda for finding it.

Act 3
    Arriving at the farm Carol learns who she was, what she believed in, learns the emotional core of her character what drives her. We establish her new goal of the engine, finds unexpected allies, makes a plan.

Usually the third act would have an action sequence to show her as ready for the last act, but here it is more about her bonding with a new family, learning of her own humanity and that the woman she admired was also from her adopted culture but seeking peace not war. Either way we know she is ready. Her knowledge of herself and her situation is clarified. She has the ability and reason to fight.

Act 4
    Plan is executed, engine rescued, new allies reunited with their goals, plan begins to go awry and Carol fully expresses her powers by embracing her resolve and purpose as a warrior for peace. She overcomes her adversary and announces her new purpose to him and sends him to tell her wider enemies.

Note: The acts in action movies are often about discovering a power or skill to overcome the enemy. Because we already know the basics of her powers the key element of her story is discovering who she is. I believe some of the less clear reviewers of this movie would have benefited from an understanding of what the structure and goals truely are here. By analysing it as a three act story or standard superhero story about powers, the movie makes less sense and may feel less satisfying. Perhaps this is why those reviewers that expressed an empathy or emotional resonance with Carol tended to review it highly. That is after all the core element of the story and reveals its structure.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-15-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Fury also lies. A lot. (You’d probably even find that in his job description somewhere if you search the fine print).

That’s kind of Steve’s issue with Nick/SHIELD during the first half or so of the movie.
    "His secrets have secrets."
    -Tony Stark, The Avengers

the eye loss is still super anti climactic I probably won't get over that. Was really hoping for some amazing betrayal or tragic misunderstanding.

So where is the cat now. And now that I think about it the cat leaves me with a lot of questions. Did the movie explain Goose and I missed it or is it just left vague with everything surrounding him?
    The J-man