Page 13 of 31 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I forgot to post my thoughts on the film, itself......I thought it was quite good. Not one of the best Marvel films, but somewhat mid-upper tier. An excellent origin story, and I felt it was far better than the overrated Wonder Woman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    What did Ronan do without the powerstone that would make you think he could take Thor?

Wasn't saying Ronan could take Thor, but, unless he was powered up right before GotG (As AnakinFlair suggested), he would've posed problems for Thor in a one-on-one match-up. Having his fleet as back-up would likely take Thor out.

Quote Originally Posted by Roundman View Post
    They were tapes of songs they enjoyed together. Quill was also a Knight Rider fan, a show that someone like me (born in 1982) was too young to have any real memory of watching at the time. I've always assumed Quill was supposed to be 6 or 7 years older than me, i.e. born in the mid-70s.
    I'm the same age as Pratt and watched and loved Knightrider (Remember being mad when they replaces Bonnie with April) also A-Team (Also 1982), Incredible Hulk (1978), Chips (1977), Grizzly Adams (1977), The Dukes of Hazard (1979), Buck Rogers (1979), Fall Guy (1981), Scarecrow and Mrs King (1983), and heck I watched Adam West's Batman and Wild Wild West religiously and had no clue they were from the 60's and thought they were current TV shows as a little kid I only knew Star Trek was an older show due to the movies. I had toys for most of those shows the ones that had such things when I was little and loved them all many were still on or in syndication rotation regularly.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 03-11-2019 at 05:46 AM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Avengers Endgame will certainly tell the tale when it comes to Carol. If they give her enough funny moments and quips, the wobbliness of her solo film won't really matter. Marvel Studio characters live and die by how funny they are. Even Steve wouldn't work as well without Chris Evans being as funny as he is.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Oh, man, saw this over the weekend and loved it. One of the better MCU films IMO.

They took some risks with the structure that paid off big time. The slow burn identity reveal worked beautifully. I really don't get the complaints about pacing. There was an action sequence pretty early on. If people can't handle ten minutes of setup without bombs going off that's not on the filmmakers.

I feel like more jokes landed in this than any other MCU film, and the humor was organic. There were wisecracks but they flowed from the situation at hand rather than jokesters trying to force humor by sheer force of will (and I don't mind that style of humor either).

Talos might be my favorite MCU 'villain' now. Kudos to the marketing department for keeping the film's biggest twist a secret.

Having grown up in the 90s, I loved the music choices and while some were just nostalgic others fit their scenes perfectly. Especially "Come as You Are" during the A.I. sequence and "I'm Just a Girl" when Carol cut loose on the Kree.

Everyone in the film had their chance to shine and they all rose to the occasion.

I don't think this film rules out "Secret Invasion," if anything it sets it up but also establishes that guys like Talos might not play ball with extremists. Or he could become a tragic figure entangled in a conflict his heart isn't in.

In the comics, Talos was a Skrull who couldn't shapeshift, so he became a legendary warrior known as "Talos the Untamed." When he was defeated in battle he failed to commit ritual suicide per Skrull custom, and later tried to regain his honor by picking a fight with the Hulk (in the hopes of being killed). It would be interesting to see what variations they work on that in the MCU, if any.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Oh, man, saw this over the weekend and loved it. One of the better MCU films IMO.

They took some risks with the structure that paid off big time. The slow burn identity reveal worked beautifully. I really don't get the complaints about pacing. There was an action sequence pretty early on. If people can't handle ten minutes of setup without bombs going off that's not on the filmmakers.

I feel like more jokes landed in this than any other MCU film, and the humor was organic. There were wisecracks but they flowed from the situation at hand rather than jokesters trying to force humor by sheer force of will (and I don't mind that style of humor either).

Talos might be my favorite MCU 'villain' now. Kudos to the marketing department for keeping the film's biggest twist a secret.

Having grown up in the 90s, I loved the music choices and while some were just nostalgic others fit their scenes perfectly. Especially "Come as You Are" during the A.I. sequence and "I'm Just a Girl" when Carol cut loose on the Kree.

Everyone in the film had their chance to shine and they all rose to the occasion.

I don't think this film rules out "Secret Invasion," if anything it sets it up but also establishes that guys like Talos might not play ball with extremists. Or he could become a tragic figure entangled in a conflict his heart isn't in.

In the comics, Talos was a Skrull who couldn't shapeshift, so he became a legendary warrior known as "Talos the Untamed." When he was defeated in battle he failed to commit ritual suicide per Skrull custom, and later tried to regain his honor by picking a fight with the Hulk (in the hopes of being killed). It would be interesting to see what variations they work on that in the MCU, if any.
    Funny, I thought there was too much action! There were moments where I thought it was undermining the emotional travel of Carol Danvers.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Loved it! If they had spent less time aping up the practically non existent feminist aspects in promotion and more time promoting what was a fun movie with some great characters and action and twists we could have saved a lot of time and whinging from both sides. I am curious if Yog and the Supreme Intelligence will return in a future CM movie.

Quote Originally Posted by mogwen View Post
    Funny, I thought there was too much action! There were moments where I thought it was undermining the emotional travel of Carol Danvers.
    I can sort of agree with that. I think the movie could have benefited from being about 10 minutes longer... just so they could add a few minutes here and there to emphasize some of the emotional beats.

The thing that annoyed me is that captain marvels cat not fury's. It should of went with her at the end not with nick. Where was that alien cat when hydra took over shield?

Other then that loved the film. Anyone catch the thing on captain marvel neck was the same one used by the kree in agents of shield?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I hope that in future movies ain't afraid to do humor at Carol's expense. Every Marvel lead has been made a fool of at some point.

Ultimate Member

Call me crazy but I think Marvel purposely edited the movie to make it less of a feminist movie.

There was literally NOTHING in the movie (beyond the cockpit quip) that indicated any form of feminist message.

All this being said, the movie was ok. I went in with very low expectations so i wasn't disappointed. Funny enough, I didn't think the movie started slowly at all, a good chunk of the action were in the first few minutes of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    (Remember being mad when they replaces Bonnie with April)
    I was about in 2nd grade at the time and I thought Bonnie died and maybe I missed an episode, I was thrown. April was hot tho.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I ain't gonna lie Talos' portrayal was pretty good.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

The only reason I think people didn't think Brie did a good job is because I feel like she was probably a lot more established with at least one other "signature role" before she signed on. In that case, it can be hard to play a new character because there are nuances of characters she's played before (as well as herself). Plus, I think the script was disjointed in some places and it's hard to play an amnesiac. Her chemistry with Jackson and Lynch was undeniable and those were definitely the best scenes in the movie.

Action sequences were fine, I wish she was challenged a little more, but whatever--we knew she wasn't going to lose anyway. (It annoys me when heroes have a magic "I know how to tap into my other powers" moment suddenly but there's tons of other films that use the same trope)

She is so powerful that that there are also a bunch of unanswered questions suddenly too. Also, Samuel L. Jackson didn't think to call her when Earth was being invaded--and rings her as an emergency before he's even assessed how big the threat was. (Which turned out to be a good call, but...)

Quote Originally Posted by Roundman View Post
    Time dilation? Moving at speeds close to the speed of light slows down time for the traveler relative to those not traveling at those speeds. If Carol spends a significant amount of time at speeds reaching a significant percentage of the speed of light, which is likely, she's going to age more slowly relative to the typical Earthling.
    If i recall didn't they do a scene in Captain Marvel with Jude Law's character talking with a Skrull who is impersonating carol and talks about giving her his blood. So perhaps a blood transfusion happened sometime with the kree blood taking over a fraction of her DNA to let her be youthful despite her age?

Quote Originally Posted by RyDub View Post
    If i recall didn't they do a scene in Captain Marvel with Jude Law's character talking with a Skrull who is impersonating carol and talks about giving her his blood. So perhaps a blood transfusion happened sometime with the kree blood taking over a fraction of her DNA to let her be youthful despite her age?
    That's what I'm thinking. The blood transfusion was even in the trailer... it just never made it into the final movie.

As AoS has taught us, Kree blood can do some interesting things to the human body.