Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Current quality of SNL would probably have a vagina dentata eat his eyeball.
    A Teeth Captain Marvel film crossover OK I know not intended but now I'm intrigued by this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I expected Fury to be tortured and have his eye gauged out by Zemo. Something spectacular, or an explosion at least.
    People haven't realize this fully but they are kinda close up this Era of Marvel movies. They are closing up storylines and plot holes like if they are never going to get the chance to do them again. One of my big complaints about Captain Marvel is that it had too many small pieces of stories that it was trying to explain

1. It was trying to explain Fury Origin
    2.It was trying to explain Carol Origin
    3.It was trying to explain who the Kree was
    4.It was trying to explain who the Skrulls was
    5. It was setting up Monica and her mom
    6. It was explain where Captain marvel has been all this time
    7.It was explaining where the tesseract has been
    8.It was explaining who Wendy Lawson/Mar vell was

Plus establishing relationship between Fury,Yon Rogg,Talos, Maria with Carol and while explaining Carol full backstory over several years in a condensed form. A normal movie might have showed extended scenes Carol as kid and Carol joining the Air force and her experiences, Instead of the opening act member of kree stuff. So the movie was trying to do a little too much so it squeeze stuff like Sam Jackson losing eye where that should have been in a Nick Fury solo project or something. It is shame that Marvel does not have a place where they could tell extended stories about Nick Fury in it like a show about Shield and its agents. Because that would have been perfect
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-12-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    People haven't realize this fully but they are kinda close up this Era of Marvel movies. They are closing up storylines and plot holes like if they are never going to get the chance to do them again. One of my big complaints about Captain Marvel is that it had too many small pieces of stories that it was trying to explain

Plus establishing relationship between Fury,Yon Rogg,Talos, Maria with Carol and while explaining Carol full backstory over several years in a condensed form. A normal movie might have showed extended scenes Carol as kid and Carol joining the Air force and her experiences, Instead of the opening act member of kree stuff. So the movie was trying to do a little too much so it squeeze stuff like Sam Jackson losing eye where that should have been in a Nick Fury solo project or something. It is shame that Marvel does not have a place where they could tell extended stories about Nick Fury in it like a show about Shield and its agents. Because that would have been perfect
    You could say it was trying to do too much, but it seemed to pull most of your list off very well, which is why I have such high praise for the editing. So many of the scenes could have been baggy and over long, but it was as tight as a coiled spring, with hardly a second wasted. There were scenes where all the camera waits for is an interesting facial expression from Larson, and as soon as we glean her emotion it is immediately cut with split second timing. The edit probably shaves off minutes, keeping everything on track and driving forwards. Every action has her intent carried over into the next cut or scene. Almost forcing us to identify with her.

Your list of things seems to imply that it is doing a lot but it is doing no more than any large story. Most genre movies have a lot of exposition and world building to get through. This movie reminds me a lot of Fellowship of the Ring for example. Plus the Teseract was a spoil of war regardless of who had it when, so no real explanation was needed and I don’t see why that is on your list.

We kind of know who the Kree are in the first mission briefing, we get the full picture laid out in a combination of indirect exposition, the Supreme Intelligence scenes and the clever use of Ronan before he goes rogue, showing an internal tension in their empire. We get our overall impression of the Skrulls from a mixture of indirect exposition and a quick info dump in the set up for the final scene. They masterfully imply that there is more to the Skrulls, and that war leaves blood on Talos’s hands, allowing for a more aggressive Skrull presence if needed later.

As to the eye, I was initially shocked, thinking that can’t be it, but also loved the way he just casually blows it off as a mere scratch. It simultaneously makes us laugh and realise how hard Fury must be. It is almost incomprehensible that anyone could suffer that wound so lightly.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-13-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    She had those powers for six years, dude. There was no suddenly about anything, she probably figured this stuff out years ago but never had an opportunity to do anything with it because of the inhibitor chip.
    Don't get the problem with her knowing how to use her abilities in that scene. She went Super Saiyan - same powers just way more of them. Goku didn't suddenly forget how to do a Kamehameha by going SSJ. If anything I thought the few times she got thrown back while using her energy blast showed that she was still getting used to the amount of 'umph' she suddenly had.
    They are, in other words, posed the way their male colleagues are typically posed. They are posed as heroes.
    G. Willow Wilson in regards to this picture.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I don't see a problem with Fury not using the beeper prior to A:IW.

He has no idea where she is at any given moment so calling her doesn't do much good when you have a world ending problem now. Had the Avengers failed in the battle of New York or against Ultron, the earth would've already been either taken over or wiped out completely. There wasn't anything that she could've done to change those events until it was far to late.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfanmike View Post
    Don't get the problem with her knowing how to use her abilities in that scene. She went Super Saiyan - same powers just way more of them. Goku didn't suddenly forget how to do a Kamehameha by going SSJ. If anything I thought the few times she got thrown back while using her energy blast showed that she was still getting used to the amount of 'umph' she suddenly had.
    That coupled with the grin she had after getting thrown back... I thought it was a really nice touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    But see...that’s not what he said. Fury is purposely misleading about what actually happened because...well he’s embarrassed

If he had actually lose his eye in an epic fight with Zemo, he wouldn’t think twice about telling the truth.
    Even when he appears to be telling the truth, it’s still only a part of it.

Fury taking one event and manipulating it to his advantage seems pretty on brand for him tbh

I have seen everything now. Sometimes I think they need to raise the barrier to entry for websites.

Must be a slow news day

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I expected Fury to be tortured and have his eye gauged out by Zemo. Something spectacular, or an explosion at least.
    I actually liked the offbeat nature of the explanation more then a cliche "it was a war/torture/whatever wound." Call me weird, but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I like the movie and can forgive the Fury eye explanation but this is something I'd sooner to expect on a SNL skit than an actual MCU film. Honestly IMO the Coulson Skrull in the car fight would had been a better explanation.
    I don't know about that. As we've seen in stuff like the Guardians movies and Ragnarok, the MCU is a place where the silly and the serious can coexist quite easily.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I actually liked the offbeat nature of the explanation more then a cliche "it was a war/torture/whatever wound." Call me weird, but there it is.

I don't know about that. As we've seen in stuff like the Guardians movies and Ragnarok, the MCU is a place where the silly and the serious can coexist quite easily.
    Yeah, I don't have an issue with it. Honestly, I think deflecting it may have been the best option they had. If it's done in a hyper badass way, you run the risk of it not being badass enough, which then you've failed in what you set out to do or it just becomes super fanboyish, which is worse.

And honestly, I live for the newly minted joke from Winter Soldier where Fury says "the last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye."

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

I love Thor Ragnarok but this was Nick Fury badass of badasses and he got his iconic eye patch because a kitty scratched his eye. What's next Uncle Ben heard a burglar and went to check it out but died from tripping on a roller skate Peter left on the stairs?

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I love Thor Ragnarok but this was Nick Fury badass of badasses and he got his iconic eye patch because a kitty scratched his eye. What's next Uncle Ben heard a burglar and went to check it out but died from tripping on a roller skate Peter left on the stairs?
    Somebody had to teach Fury to never let his guard down or trust anybody. And because Fury is the badass of badasses, fate decided to let an alien monster that causally eats infinity stones while disguised as a cat be the one to teach him that.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post

Yeah, it does have a Star Wars explanatory feel to this episode, joining the dots.