Page 19 of 31 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Nope. Not gonna. That said, the feelings I have towards those particular two aren't exactly unpopular opinions, so I'm sure you can figure it out.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I understand that some folks have been saying the way Carol messes up the Kree Accuser ship in orbit makes her over-powered.

And yet...

This being right after he jump started a star and took the sustained blast of its energy.

Don't remember there being a lot of complaints about that. Lots of fist pumping though.
    I think people felt with Thor it was earned. I dont think people not liking CAPTAIN Mavrel being stronger then him has anything to do with sexism for alot of people. We know Thor and we have grown to love Thor especialy more so since Ragnarok. So some new hero coming and be more powerful might just rub them the wrong way especialy since in the source material she isnt on Hulks level let alone Thor. I'm not too bothered by it cause I havetn seen anything that makes her miles ahead of Thor, if shes truelt stronger it isnt by much after Thor upgrade. We also gonna get a smarter Hulk who hopefuly get a Planet Hulk/WW hulk level boost. Think it's more likely we get a Hulk who fights with some technique like those stories but they could easily say with everything that happened in Infinity War Hulk and Banner are madder then they have ever been. Wish we have a Hiroim character to teach him how to meditate and channel his rage while keeping his mind clear and focused.

Anyway I liked Carol and I'm cool with it but I understand people who are a little uncertain about it. That said I Hope they make her become friends with the Guardians like in the Comics. Like someone else said Goose and Rocket Showdown would be amazing and I like her and Quills friendship
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 03-15-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Nope. Not gonna. That said, the feelings I have towards those particular two aren't exactly unpopular opinions, so I'm sure you can figure it out.
    Thor 2 and Ironman 2? Lol I have no desire to rewatch them but if I catch on somewhere I dont hate them they are fine just not Good or great.

Extraordinary Member

See, as far as I'm concerned the first Captain America is pretty much the origin movie to beat in the MCU. It's just so grand, yet personal throughout. Like others have already said, I feel that Captain Marvel is a solid B+/upper mid-tier film.
    I would agree.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think people felt with Thor it was earned. I dont think people not liking CAPTAIN Mavrel being stronger then him has anything to do with sexism for alot of people. We know Thor and we have grown to love Thor especialy more so since Ragnarok. So some new hero coming and be more powerful might just rub them the wrong way especialy since in the source material she isnt on Hulks level let alone Thor. I'm not too bothered by it cause I havetn seen anything that makes her miles ahead of Thor, if shes truelt stronger it isnt by much after Thor upgrade. We also gonna get a smarter Hulk who hopefuly get a Planet Hulk/WW hulk level boost. Think it's more likely we get a Hulk who fights with some technique like those stories but they could easily say with everything that happened in Infinity War Hulk and Banner are madder then they have ever been. Wish we have a Hiroim character to teach him how to meditate and channel his rage while keeping his mind clear and focused.
    Weird. I would have said this shows they are MCU equals in raw power.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Weird. I would have said this shows they are MCU equals in raw power.
    Yea I dont think I've seen her do anything Infinity war Thor couldnt do. I dont know if he can fly for prolonged time with Strombreaker so his mobility is what limits him compared to her. That said it doesnt really matter they are never gonna fight each other and I'm almost certain she can not take the damage Thor can. That's Hulks issue from what we have seen hes physically stronger and has overpowered Thor in pure strength. But Thor has more weapons and can take way more Damage. Hulks healing factor doesnt seem overly impressive in the MCU or his Durability. Also not sure what Carol's durability is but I don't think it's on Thors level where you can take a blast from a sun. Not important though Endgame gonna be all about the main Avengers I bet. Cap,Ironman,Thor,Hulk,Widow, and even Clint gonna get more shine then Carol is bet. Shes just gonna be a plot device to further the story, while this movie is gonna be a love ballad to the OG Avengers. Atleast that's how the trailers make it seem, though I'm sure Antman,Carol,Rhodey,and Rocket play big parts.

Was Rhodey the first character cast in the MCU? I know Howard had already gotten the role when he helped Favrou get RDJ signed off on. If so hes a honorary OG Avenger imo

Extraordinary Member

Thor 2 and Ironman 2? Lol I have no desire to rewatch them but if I catch on somewhere I dont hate them they are fine just not Good or great.
    Ha, it's actually the third IM movie. I actually have really enjoyed other movies by this director and don't even necessarily think this is a terrible movie, but as an IM movie it just fails me completely. To me, anyway, it just sort of seemed like an RDJ vanity project considering how disinterested he was about donning the armor.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

thought it was okay, certainly not the best of the MCU, somewhere towards the middle if not the uppermiddle of the pack imo

Extraordinary Member

Yea I dont think I've seen her do anything Infinity war Thor couldnt do. I dont know if he can fly for prolonged time with Strombreaker so his mobility is what limits him compared to her. That said it doesnt really matter they are never gonna fight each other...
    Heh - it's like you've never read a comic book before

But no, I think Carol is going to be front and center in the action. Her powers come from an Infinity Stone, so she has got to be squaring off against Thanos at some point. Maybe she can even absorb the stone's energy and use it against him.

Carol's power coming from the space stone which can open gateways means she might be able to channel power from other places. In the comics, she was Binary for a while, drawing on the energy of a white hole.
    Last edited by brettc1; 03-15-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Thor 2 maybe. There is nothing wrong with any of the Iron Man movies IMO. Like I said earlier IM3 is seriously misunderstood and underrated.

As to Thor vs Captain Marvel, my bet is that they will be played as friendly rivals and ultimately will be portrayed as equals.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I would agree with the latter sure, Dr Strange is one of my least favourite. Still fun but just too formulaic, derivative and ultimately feels like a wasted opportunity to me. Iron Man remains a classic of the genre IMO. Indeed I believe IM3 is the most underrated superhero movie ever made.
    I think the first one is still the best one but, yes, I think IM3 is a serious challenger for the best of the three and one of the best of the MCU movies on almost every level from the plot to the characterization and motivations and so on. The dislike of it really surprises me.
    Power with Girl is better.

Obviously not my take, but I can see how people can feel that way and I respect that. While I did enjoy Dr. Strange, I did find it very similar to the first IM (a film I also obviously enjoyed).
    I was okay with Dr. Strange but I don't hold it up as a great movie. Ironically, it was true to what Strange originally was before the accident: a smug, self-centered jerk while the original version of Stark was not a jerk but simply an early 1960s American patriot.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I think the first one is still the best one but, yes, I think IM3 is a serious challenger for the best of the three and one of the best of the MCU movies on almost every level from the plot to the characterization and motivations and so on. The dislike of it really surprises me.
    High five. Finally somebody who understands. On a serious note it is the most character driven MCU movie, and Captain Marvel is one of the more character driven of the recent movies. Many comic book fans are more used to plot driven stories.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Yeah, I don't have an issue with it. Honestly, I think deflecting it may have been the best option they had. If it's done in a hyper badass way, you run the risk of it not being badass enough, which then you've failed in what you set out to do or it just becomes super fanboyish, which is worse.

And honestly, I live for the newly minted joke from Winter Soldier where Fury says "the last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye."
    Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I love Thor Ragnarok but this was Nick Fury badass of badasses and he got his iconic eye patch because a kitty scratched his eye. What's next Uncle Ben heard a burglar and went to check it out but died from tripping on a roller skate Peter left on the stairs?
    A.) Nick Fury is still not the master "secrets have secrets" superspy we see in the other movies when this one happened and B). it was wasn't any ordinary cat. I mean, we got Fury weeping over the fact that Coulson wrecked the nice bar he gave the plane in the TV series already, so it's not like Fury is never put in positions that are a bit beneath him.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    You make good points and It does pull off the list but that doesn't mean it wasn't do too much from the aspect of it is a Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers movie it suffered slightly because it was focusing on too many places IMO. So it was "telling us" in places they should have been "showing us". That is difference between a great movie and good movie.Think all of the flashback scenes The go cart scene , the military scene with ropes, the scene at the bar where a-holes bother her, her time with Maria. Had they fleshed out these moments into good scenes the movie would have been a classic because that is where the emotional attachment to character comes from and final moment against supreme intelligence would have even more punch.

I like the movie don't get me wrong but it won't hold up as well over time because they didn't do the work in that area. Had they spend the fleshing out those flashbacks people would have been more emotional invested in the movie. Why was Dr Lawson her biggest inspiration? Show us don't tell us. Instead of telling us Maria is her best friend show us the flesh out scene where they become good friends and we believe it. If they could have mixed that in and draw us in a little more it would have been better but it is still pretty good movie.
    I would've liked to have seen more of these bits myself, but I do think the movie did show us by having the flashbacks. We're not just told that Carol and Maria were friends in the present when they go to the latter's house; before that, we get the bits and pieces setting that up through the flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    Now onto my one problem with the film. How Fury loses his eye. Who okayed this?! WHO?! Winter Soldier strongly alludes to this going down differently.
    Remember how Fury was misleading people about the accident at the end of Captain Marvel? There's the answer of how it fits with Winter Soldier. Besides, Fury's account in the latter movie is basically the truth anyways.

TWS he also uses his damaged eye as a retinal scan and Captain Marvel they bring him fake eyes. Do those go over his damaged eye or was he just suppose to pop his eye out and put a fake one in? Kinda smart keeping the damaged eyes because a skrull cant replicate it and use it to get into Shield stuff because they cant see it.
    I think the idea was that he ultimately decided not to get a glass eye and just use the eyepatch.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)