Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I failed to recognize her. When was it?

As for the SJW charges leveled against the movie, I couldn't find any; unless someone stretches the Skrull refugee crisis as an allegory of the US immigration issue.
    I wouldn't call it much of a stretch. The Skrulls absolutely are representative of the situation at the border. The Trump GOP is demonizing them and making them seem like monsters to the public. Part of why Talos works is that he's not a monster, he's just some guy who happens to look like a goblin to us. And the shapeshifting can be tied back to things like the "red menace" sure, but their whole goal is to find a home and or integrate into existing societies. While the finale does not take place at the border (at least I don't think geographically it does), they are in a place which looks like how most people view the border and facing each other. They may not be fighting on a nations border, but they are on two different sides of a conflict, one wants to stop the violence and figure out how to give the refugees a home and the other is (and does) put people (including children) in cages and using violence to cease immigration efforts.

No this is super contemporary, it's just that there is enough superhero stuff to offset the political message of it.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Man, I hate this say this but hated this movie. Man, I really wanted to like it but man it just fell flat. I felt like Carol's character arc was weak.

And I'm about to put on my tin foil hat, so just bear with me, but I feel like an entire subplot was edited out of the movie. There were several scenes and vocals in the trailer that didn't appear in the movie.They briefly touched upon Carol's struggle to become a fighter pilot in a time that didn't let women fly and never developed it. This may sound crazy but I think there may was a subplot made up of scenes in her past showing her journey to become a fighter pilot that climaxed with her flying that mission with Mar-Vel but they cut it out because of the complaints about feminism.

Am I just nuts??

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Man, I hate this say this but hated this movie. Man, I really wanted to like it but man it just fell flat. I felt like Carol's character arc was weak.

And I'm about to put on my tin foil hat, so just bear with me, but I feel like an entire subplot was edited out of the movie. There were several scenes and vocals in the trailer that didn't appear in the movie.They briefly touched upon Carol's struggle to become a fighter pilot in a time that didn't let women fly and never developed it. This may sound crazy but I think there may was a subplot made up of scenes in her past showing her journey to become a fighter pilot that climaxed with her flying that mission with Mar-Vel but they cut it out because of the complaints about feminism.

Am I just nuts??
    No there definitely seems to be remnants of an earlier cut in the final product. The last act has a lot of moments which should be the climax but its building on top of each other like fighting her former team, fighting the Accusers, and then fighting Rogg. There does seem to be a third act rewrite somewhere along the lines (or several) because as much as the Skrull twist works, Talos having a family aboard the ship is a bit abrupt as well as the Accusers showing up and leaving. Carol's arc in the film ends up being a redemption arc for her that only just kind of qualifies and that's probably due to this. Pacing issues might've marred the experience a bit and so they probably just cut it.

Whether it was trying to be topical or perhaps what they intended originally just didn't work I don't know. Carol's human backstory does appear to be missing here although we only really need to know about the incident with Mar-Vell so I can understand why so much of it is cut. However since Carol needs to fight the Kree later I wouldn't doubt it as to that being why her friend's plot is in the movie. It's to get her up in the air, then again we could've had Fury do it so who knows? The friend also seems to be from an earlier cut that likely included the backstory or it could also be remnants from an earlier script.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

As for the SJW charges leveled against the movie, I couldn't find any; unless someone stretches the Skrull refugee crisis as an allegory of the US immigration issue.
    That allegory is what really elevated the entire film for me. I loved getting to know some Skrulls.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Am I just nuts??
    I wanted more of that. More of Carol's struggles to fly and be her own person, but ultimately I think what we got is fine enough.

None of these Marvel flicks ever want to REALLY get into history, sadly. I would like to see all that stuff explored more, but it's Disney so you get what ya get I guess.

For what they are willing to give, I did think this sold Carol's struggle well enough. I just really wanted more of her and the Kree and all that and less set up to Avengers.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

A solid 7/10.

It was cool. Not particularly groundbreaking to me. Brie Larson....Im waiting to see her in Endgame to see how the Russo's do with her. Because in this...she was wooden and boring as she was in the trailers, so I am still disappointed in her casting in that regard.

Sam Jackson was Sam Jackson, cinematic salt of the earth.

As a less jaded 'his secrets have secrets' version of Fury, he worked. Coulson was cool for what he had to do.

I did not see the Skrulls as being the good guys so that was a surprise that actually got me.
    Last edited by KabutoRyder; 03-08-2019 at 08:29 AM.

BANNED

I honestly feel dirty for giving it my money. Hopefully this is a 'success' like Batman V Superman and Last Jedi were 'successes'

It has an awfully slow pace that's unusually low on stakes or action. Apart from one flashback to her father when she was a kid, Carol has no tension with ANYONE, not Fury when he first meets her, not with Rambeau or her daughter, there's no sign of any real character development or struggle for Carol, no hero's journey, she gets her memories back very easily and with minimal struggle, they even play up the "proving ground" trope for laughs at the end when she gives Jude Law a photon blast. In a bit of clever subversion, the Skrulls turn out to be pretty nice people, but the Kree show up and despite having a brief advantage, you don't buy that they are a threat whatsoever. Finally, there's a big space battle where Carol just dominates and blitzes everyone. I'm sure some will cheer this, I wasn't one, I prefer my final battles to not be so blatantly one-sided

What a piece of ****. Once again, the MCU prove, at least to me, that the emperor is naked. 3/10.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 03-08-2019 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I loved it. I wonder if that scene with Carol and the biker who tells her to smile was a reshoot after all that whingeing.
    Larson was actually asked about that in an interview. She said it wasn't a reshoot. So then the interviewer was all, "So this movie ended up predicting the future!" And she replied that no, it was just depicting a common female experience.

After the fight on the train, when Carol exits the train into the station, KSD walks by her.

Incredible Member

Saw it last night and really liked it. Brie Larson was great as Carol, and her on-screen chemistry with Jackson was enjoyable, but the Mar-Vell thing bugged the crap out of me. I know he hasn't been around in the comics for a long time, but he was the Captain Marvel I grew up with, and the one who initially defeated Thanos. The movie had enough female empowerment undertones without changing Mar-Vell. The Skrull thing irked me a bit to, but it made sense for the story, rather than revealing both alien races as evil.

Quote Originally Posted by lilyinblue View Post
    Larson was actually asked about that in an interview. She said it wasn't a reshoot. So then the interviewer was all, "So this movie ended up predicting the future!" And she replied that no, it was just depicting a common female experience.
    Actually I think it was. I believe she was supposed to beat the guy up then take his stuff and they edited out because of controversy.

fight.jpg

No there definitely seems to be remnants of an earlier cut in the final product. The last act has a lot of moments which should be the climax but its building on top of each other like fighting her former team, fighting the Accusers, and then fighting Rogg. There does seem to be a third act rewrite somewhere along the lines (or several) because as much as the Skrull twist works, Talos having a family aboard the ship is a bit abrupt as well as the Accusers showing up and leaving. Carol's arc in the film ends up being a redemption arc for her that only just kind of qualifies and that's probably due to this. Pacing issues might've marred the experience a bit and so they probably just cut it
    So it wasn't just me that's good to know. Now I'm gonna be paranoid/disappointed. Since I, again may be crazy, think there is far superior cut of the movie that was left on the editing floor.
    Last edited by dreyga2000; 03-08-2019 at 10:20 AM.

Actually I think it was. I believe she was supposed to beat the guy up then take his stuff and they edited out because of controversy.
    It's addressed here: https://www.indy100.com/article/capt...oversy-8810706

Editing may have shifted, but it wasn't a reshoot.

Retired

Grace Randolph said something that got my goat in her spoilerish video on the good and the bad in CAPTAIN MARVEL. She said that Mar-Vell's story wasn't that important among the Marvel Comics stories. I disagree. The stuff that Jim Starlin did was important in the world building for Marvel Comics. As well, THE DEATH OF CAPTAIN MARVEL is one of my favourite Marvel stories because it tells about the dying of a hero in a different way from most comic book super-hero deaths. In fact, if there's one story I would have liked adapted into a movie, it would be that one.

I liked it and thought it was about mid level MCU film the Stan Cameo and Tribute were great.

BANNED

Edited my earlier review to add additional thoughts as they come to me...I will say the Stan tributes moved me, double with the Mallrats script read-through, hopefully people seek out that scene from the movie.