Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Weak and frail? Most people wouldn’t get over something like that easily.
    How many people do you know have had what happened to Carol happen to them?

And how many people do you think would be just fine after waking up from being frozen in ice for 40 years (if a bit untrusting of those around him or her)?

Follow-up question: are super-hero comics (and by extension, super-hero movies) escapism fantasy, or are “most heroes” exactly like “most people”? Because “most people” don’t dress up and fight crime.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 04-08-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Yeah, the scene has flashes of her getting up after falling. It’s a moment of Carol having confidence in herself and that’s what breaks her free rather than her going berserk because of what was done to her. Then it’s followed with a jokey fight scene.

I think it’s an idea that should be explored in a sequel. Though I think this movie should have portrayed Carol as being absolutely furious at StarForce.
    So her beating up Starforce, destroying Ronan's fleet, whooping her "mentor" than sending him home with a message for the supreme leader informing it she's coming for them next isn't enough? What more could she have done to show she was pissed beyond outright saying "My Name is Carol Danver and I'm mad at you"?

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    So her beating up Starforce, destroying Ronan's fleet, whooping her "mentor" than sending him home with a message for the supreme leader informing it she's coming for them next isn't enough? What more could she have done to show she was pissed beyond outright saying "My Name is Carol Danver and I'm mad at you"?
    A few things have already been suggested, like not having her fighting StarForce being such an upbeat scene. Would have preferred Carol reacting as angrily as Frank Castle did to Billy Russo’s betrayal.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 04-09-2019 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    How many people do you know have had what happened to Carol happen to them?

And how many people do you think would be just fine after waking up from being frozen in ice for 40 years (if a bit untrusting of those around him or her)?

Follow-up question: are super-hero comics (and by extension, super-hero movies) escapism fantasy, or are “most heroes” exactly like “most people”? Because “most people” don’t dress up and fight crime.
    How do people generally react to people they loved and trusted doing wrong to them? That’s the case with Carol.

No, but they should be relatable in some way.

I doubt Carol would want to cause unnecessary damage to Mar-Vell’s ship.
    Don’t have to be powerful enough to destroy the ship. Just strong enough to do damage that would put them in a hospital for a very long time.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 04-08-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

A few things have already been suggested, like not having her fighting StarForce being such an upbeat scene. Would have preferred Carol reacting as angrily as Frank Castle did to Billy Russo’s betrayal.
    Seeing her react like Frank might’ve been more satisfying but it wouldn’t make any sense since she’s never demonstrated that level of rage or brutality before. Would’ve been OOC.

Using an upbeat song during the fight sequence doesn’t take away from the fact that she was clearly pissed off about thier involvement in the betrayal.

BANNED

How do people generally react to people they loved and trusted doing wrong to them? That’s the case with Carol.
    Oh, so Thor should have handled Loki’s betrayal a bit differently then?

No, but they should be relatable in some way.
    Carol is relatable. Just not in the ways that you want. And that’s fine, but it’s also important to keep that in mind.

Don’t have to be powerful enough to destroy the ship. Just strong enough to do damage that would put them in a hospital for a very long time.
    The Kree she was fighting are obviously fairly durable, especially with their combat suits on.

I rewatched the scene she didn’t come off being full of rage.

Speaking of the Supreme Intelligence, in Carol’s first meeting with it she is told that her memory loss could be a blessing to spare her of a greater pain. I think that should have been something it was right about as in that her remembering everything caused her great pain. People she considered her friends and family murdered the person she most admired, then implanted false memories of innocent people murdering that person in order to motivate her into fighting against them, and fooled her for six years into thinking she was a hero but is in fact an unwitting terrorist. That should take a very heavy toll on her psyche.

Seems like a nice set-up for that alcoholism plotline she had.
    This movie was about getting from point A to point B, period.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Oh, so Thor should have handled Loki’s betrayal a bit differently then?
    Thor was shown to not be okay about it in the following films but had hope that Loki would return to his side, which eventually happened.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 04-09-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Seeing her react like Frank might’ve been more satisfying but it wouldn’t make any sense since she’s never demonstrated that level of rage or brutality before. Would’ve been OOC.

Using an upbeat song during the fight sequence doesn’t take away from the fact that she was clearly pissed off about thier involvement in the betrayal.
    They didn’t set her up as this peaceful person that keeps her cool though. So I wouldn’t say it would be necessarily OOC. In fact, they hinted she has a tempter earlier in the film.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 04-09-2019 at 11:02 AM.

BANNED

Thor was shown to not be okay about it in the following films but had hope that Loki would return to his side, which eventually happened.
    He didn’t go into a frothing rage like you’re requiring of Carol, though.

He didn’t go into a frothing rage like you’re requiring of Carol, though.
    I said that people generally wouldn’t get over it so easily, not that they would Hulk out.

Makes me wonder if Thor and Carol will connect with each other through this.

BANNED

I said that people generally wouldn’t get over it so easily, not that they would Hulk out.

Makes me wonder if Thor and Carol will connect with each other through this.
    Using verbiage such as "generally" and "most people" concedes that there are outliers to this "rule".

Carol can be an outlier and it's fine.

Yeah, the scene has flashes of her getting up after falling. It’s a moment of Carol having confidence in herself and that’s what breaks her free rather than her going berserk because of what was done to her. Then it’s followed with a jokey fight scene.

I think it’s an idea that should be explored in a sequel. Though I think this movie should have portrayed Carol as being absolutely furious at StarForce.
    Eh, whatever. Still worked for the story the movie was telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I hope the Flurken gave Fury a special eyebeam laser power
    Why would it have given him anything other then a missing eye?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Using verbiage such as "generally" and "most people" concedes that there are outliers to this "rule".

Carol can be an outlier and it's fine.
    Carol wouldn’t be weak and frail if she wasn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post

Why would it have given him anything other then a missing eye?
    Why not? Who knows what kind of potentially radioactive gunk are on flurken claws. lol