Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Weren’t the Skrulls in the comics benevolent in the beginning of their existence and then become ruthless conquers? Not much of a jump to believe that 30 years after this takes place they could become ruthless and see how that happened. We don’t need Carol’s whole background because even she wasn’t fully aware. All we needed to know was that she was human, every time she was knocked down in life she got back up and that her emotions weren’t he weakness, they were her strength. I like the introduction of Monica and want to see how in the future (present) she will get her powers and become Photon after her mother’s call sign.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    We don’t need Carol’s whole background because even she wasn’t fully aware.
    When she became aware, we deserved to see more of it, not glimpses. Carol demonstrated more spunk there than in any other scene she was in as an adult.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rnap22 View Post
    Weren’t the Skrulls in the comics benevolent in the beginning of their existence and then become ruthless conquers?
    To an extent. The Skrulls did have some black marks on their history. From memory, there were three races of Skrull due to Celestial experimentation: Prime, Deviant, and Eternal. The Deviant Skrulls are the ones we know as the green-skinned shapeshifters (though their Eternal cousins look like bulkier versions of them). Due to genocidal warfare waged with the Prime and Eternal Skrulls, the Deviant ones won out. The Prime Skrulls are extinct and the Eternal Skrulls are at the edge of extinction.

Of course, if you want to factor in the Dire Wraith history as Skrulls who practiced magic and were banished to evolve on a different world, the Skrulls are definitely not as nice as you'd expect.

As for my sentiments, I found the movie a heaping pile of meh. Marvel played it way too safe with Carol. Really, Talos and Goose the Cat were my favorite parts since they were pretty memorable for the time being.

The title character didn't stimulate me to feel pity, contempt, or wow me in the slightest. It just felt plain vanilla.
    Last edited by U.N. Owen; 03-08-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Mighty Member

I feel it’s an origin story for both Carol and the Skrulls. The Kree have been made out to be assholes since Guardians of the Galaxy and Agents of SHEILD. The real Inhumans should be shown next. I’m more interested in how the Skrulls are now and we do have the seeds for Secret Invasion. I’m interested to see how far Carol has come from fully embracing her powers until she shows up in Endgame. She can definitely shed light on the intergalactic going ons since the snaps

Saw it and though it was ok, low on the MCU totem pole. Double toasted summed it up best Its quality is Antman wrapped in an Avengers wrapper. It's not bad by any means but l was hoping for more. Meh by MCU standards but a real fun movie and better then most CBMs

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Saw it and though it was ok, low on the MCU totem pole. Double toasted summed it up best Its quality is Antman wrapped in an Avengers wrapper. It's not bad by any means but l was hoping for more. Meh by MCU standards but a real fun movie and better then most CBMs
    At the end of the day I liked it but would only put it above Thor Dark World and Iron Man 2. I'm one of the weirdos that likes Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    At the end of the day I liked it but would only put it above Thor Dark World and Iron Man 2. I'm one of the weirdos that likes Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 3
    I'd put it above those two plus Hulk, ironman 3 is better. Ima watch it one more time to decide if I put it above Dr Strange (Not a huge fan , he has been characterized better in each subsequent appearance since his own movie)

I didn't like Carol.

I'm not even sure what Brie Larson was going for with Vers' weird stiff personality and by-the-numbers sarcasm. I GET the fact that the Kree were psychologically and cybernetically inhibiting her, and that her personality is probably affected by those inhibitions, but she doesn't "flare-out" enough PRIOR to pulling out the implant to really showcase how outburst of anger are chastened by the machinery holding back her potential.

I kept wanting her to be bigger, to be louder, to be goofy, to be clumsy, to be more than simply a hardass --and then knocked down for it. For us to be shown, clearly, that emotional expression is 1. tied to her powers, and 2. punished by the implant. THAT's the feminist lesson, that society expects women to self-monitor, rather than delight in the freedom of expression.

Her "final form" should have been accompanied by balls-out fury and laughter and Howard Dean screams. I wanted her to laugh and thrill at her own ability to fly and survive spaceflight.
    Last edited by CRaymond; 03-08-2019 at 03:08 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    When she became aware, we deserved to see more of it, not glimpses. Carol demonstrated more spunk there than in any other scene she was in as an adult.
    I could have used a few more scenes of Carol in the Air Force and her years as a pilot, fighting for her ground as a woman. I don't think much else, backstory wise, was needed though.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I didn't like Carol.

I'm not even sure what Brie Larson was going for with Vers' weird stiff personality and by-the-numbers sarcasm. I GET the fact that the Kree were psychologically and cybernetically inhibiting her, and that her personality is probably affected by those inhibitions, but she doesn't "flare-out" enough PRIOR to pulling out the implant to really showcase how outburst of anger are chastened by the machinery holding back her potential.

I kept wanting her to be bigger, to be louder, to be goofy, to be clumsy, to be more than simply a hardass --and then knocked down for it. For us to be shown, clearly, that emotional expression is 1. tied to her powers, and 2. punished by the implant. THAT's the feminist lesson, that society expects women to self-monitor, rather than delight in the freedom of expression.

Her "final form" should have been accompanied by balls-out fury and laughter and Howard Dean screams. I wanted her to laugh and thrill at her own ability to fly and survive spaceflight.
    I agree with all of this.

Mighty Member

For the supposed most powerful character in the MCU, I really didn't get that vibe other than her FTL travel.

I heard Fury got his eye scratched out by that cat. Is that really how he lost it? Tell me that's not true.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I heard Fury got his eye scratched out by that cat. Is that really how he lost it? Tell me that's not true.
    You prefer a generic "he got beat up in a fight" explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    You prefer a generic "he got beat up in a fight" explanation?
    I would prefer he lost it shaving than have it clawed out by a cat. That's about as stupid as it gets.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post

Well, it's not really a cat so there's that.....