Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I would prefer he lost it shaving than have it clawed out by a cat. That's about as stupid as it gets.
    Not sure how one would lose their eye shaving, so I'm just gonna disagree on which option is more stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    Well, it's not really a cat so there's that.....
    Yeah, an alien cat. Still a cat and still dumb. I didn't think they could top Thor Ragnarok. Guess they showed me.

Mighty Member

I really don't like how Yon-Rogg is written. Sure, he's an utter bastard in the comics and is slightly more heroic here, but his emotional connection to Carol as an evil mentor didn't work for me. It certainly made "I don't need to prove myself to you" ring a bit more hollow. I never bought that he was the evil Obi-Wan to Carol's good Vader.

Quote Originally Posted by Star_Jammer View Post
    Not sure how one would lose their eye shaving, so I'm just gonna disagree on which option is more stupid.
    I was kidding about the shaving. Too bad the cat thing isn't a joke, though. "Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye."? Never trust an alien cat, I guess?

BANNED

I was kidding about the shaving. Too bad the cat thing isn't a joke, though. "Last time I trusted someone I lost an eye."? Never trust an alien cat, I guess?
    I probably wouldn't. ::shrug::

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I really don't like how Yon-Rogg is written. Sure, he's an utter bastard in the comics and is slightly more heroic here, but his emotional connection to Carol as an evil mentor didn't work for me. It certainly made "I don't need to prove myself to you" ring a bit more hollow. I never bought that he was the evil Obi-Wan to Carol's good Vader.
    I took that final confrontation as him trying to goad her into killing him in a physical fight, since afterwards he said he can't return empty handed.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'll just say, this Nick Fury isn't the stone cold badass that we all know.

Fantastic Member

Yeah, an alien cat. Still a cat and still dumb. I didn't think they could top Thor Ragnarok. Guess they showed me.
    It was a Flerken and only happens to look like a cat but isn't a cat kind of like Rocket isn't a racoon. It's an alien with a pocket dimension in it's stomach.

But go ahead and hate on the 'cat'. It was the best part of the movie which I place almost at the bottom of the heap. I almost couldn't wait until it ended. I was very underwhelmed, it just seemed so bland. I didn't hate it, but I doubt there will be another theatrical viewing for me which is unusual with an MCU movie.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 03-08-2019 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I guess not. Wonder if there's more than one Nick Fury? I hesitate to start any speculation for fear of the next director further subverting expectations.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

What with everything happening between Captain Marvel and the later MCU films, I'd say losing his eye and other hi-jinks hardened him down the line.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I will try to keep SPOILERS to a minimum but won't promise none since the thread title warns of spoilers.

It was great! All the arguments leading up to it, sight unseen, seem ridiculous now.

Great tribute at the very beginning to Stan Lee.

I'll admit the movie started slow and I was beginning to think that maybe all the youtube critics were right in saying that it was an average MCU movie which is still good but not standout. It was also very convoluted at the start, one of those "Pulp Fiction" jumping around time things that has you hoping this will eventually make sense. And does it ever end up making sense.

To those who had seen and reviewed the movie on youtube and kept saying she starts and ends as the same character, never smiles or shows vulnerability, I guess I can only go with the classic: What theater room were you in and what movie were you watching while I was watching "Captain Marvel"?

She shows emotions and vulnerability all the time in the way you would expect a good performer to do it, with subtle expressions and body language along with sometimes tearing up. She smiles again and again and again. She shows emotional vulnerability constantly.

There are not obvious Female Empowerment speeches. In the best tradition of female action heroines, she doesn't talk about it, she just does it and there's no implication of anybody being on the right or wrong side because of their gender.

It's got some amazing effects and action but it never lets that be the star of the show. It always comes back to being able people.

The camaraderie between Danvers and Jackson is impressive. Like most Marvel movies, the jokes sometimes get a bit tiresome but that doesn't seem to be a problem with most MCU viewers. The cat is funny but that part does get too silly in a couple of ways.

I can see a concern that, as powerful as she is, will she dominate the next Avengers movie? But that's like asking if Captain America will be irrelevant because Thor and Iron-Man are there. I am sure she will be utilized in a way that everyone is the star in their own way just as in "Infinity War".

The de-aging technology is phenomenal. Jackson looks like he's in his mid-forties and Coulson could be a graduate student.

They nicely worked MCU versions of other versions of Captain Marvel into the story.

As to the Skrulls, I'll just say that in their first comic book appearance in 1961, they were a reflection of that time. Now they are a reflection of the more current situation.

Captain Marvel as a character might best be defined by: She's "only" human. That means she gets knocked down a lot but it also means she always stands back up and keeps trying.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    Is it true that:

spoilers

Mar-Vell is a female played by Annette Benning?
    True. She is essentially the MCU version of the original Mar-Vall.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy_hansen View Post
    I loved it. I wonder if that scene with Carol and the biker who tells her to smile was a reshoot after all that whingeing. I thought Larson was a fantastic action hero, not too cocky and with a lot of pathos. The Kelly Sue cameo was great. Wasn't expecting the twist with the Skrulls. The second post-credits scene blew my mind initially as I thought it was a second cube, but then I realised that scene would've happened back in the 90s. Or did it...?
    That confused me at first too. It seemed maybe it was the present with Fury gone. But I think it was meant to explain how Fury got his hands on the Tesseract.

Quote Originally Posted by snark^ View Post
    The answer to the seemingly endless conundrum that is: "Why hasn't Fury called Carol before?" has been pretty much answered now. Look at it from Fury's perspective: his first major action was to get caught up in the middle of an interspecies war where both sides were intent on using Earth as the designated battlefield and thus the next major incidents are far more smaller scale in comparison - the 'Battle of NY' and the Sokovia thing were only city-sized things really.

In NY he had faith that the Avengers (with a helpful Thunder God) could handle it; with Ultron the best bet was the mind who'd come up with it (Stark) was the guy who'd finish it there. When Ultron's plan was finally realised in AOU it was too late to call her anyway - she could only have arrived in time to pick up the bits of the Earth that were left and glue them together with bits of melted robots. He makes the call at the end of IW because it really did look like things were turning to shit then (he wasn't to know it was only 50%) and she might as well come back. If they didn't have Thor on board for 1 and 2 he might have been tempted to see how quickly she could get back, but with him there he could afford to save his ace-in-the-hole.
    I will say that I don't really buy that he would not have called her for an alien invasion but would call her for a situation that seems minor. As far as he
    knows, a few people have disappeared. Unless he had some inside information we don't know about and already had info about Thanos. It's just one of those plot holes in the overall narrative that has happened many times before.

That allegory is what really elevated the entire film for me. I loved getting to know some Skrulls.
    Agreed. That's one of the things that made it real for me.