Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RyDub View Post
    Note now I am not using spoiler tags, if you are in a thread titled captain marvel spoiler talk then its your own fault if you get spoiled not mine.

I honestly feel like Marvel made a bit of a dud. It will gross plenty but I don't think the movie was all that great. It was a 5-6 at best. Parts of it were rushed other parts to drawn out. In all honesty it looked like Marvel pulled a DCEU move here. Seen the success of wonder woman and rushed their own version of wonder woman out and it shows. Brie's acting fell flat for most of the movie. People saying they liked her as captain marvel what was to like she was stoic at times and others way to sarcastic. Its like pick a lane either your the serious one or you are the sarcastic one. Its like they tried to put to many hats on her. Lets make her an amalgam of what some of our best heroes already out there and it will win the day.

How she went from when being controlled and able to be knocked out with simple measures to as soon as the inhibitor chip was taken off to fully mastering her powers that fast was extremely rushed. "Oh i can't control them when i have a control chip in place, but when I have it off I have full mastery of my powers." I didn't buy it.

As for the people questioning why or giving reasons for why Fury waited till Thanos to call Captain Marvel, i don't buy it. Especially the one I read about some one saying on here he was afraid that Captain Marvel would take the tesserect back. That isn't really plausible to me because he ended up giving it to Thor to take off world anyways.
    How fast did Superman learn to control his powers in Man of Steel? How fast did the Zod crew learn to control their powers? Did anyone complain? The only problem I had with controlling her powers is how did figure out she could fly that one seem out of nowhere. To me she had control of powers for whole time and chip was stopping her from tapping her full powers.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 03-09-2019 at 03:33 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bossace View Post
    Curious how people want to see a sequel, grounded on earth movie, or more space based? I think having it on earth you can keep growing the planted seeds of Monica which I’m hoping will flourish into something but you also risk having this behemoth powered character who after that scene with the accusers ships made me think “why would I want to see her stick to earth when I can see more of this” I honestly hope we can see more space more aliens, heck maybe sword or alpha flight so we get a mix of earth and space stories.

I enjoyed the movie, the 90’s nostalgia alone made it fun, the Stan Lee tribute made me emotional and our theater cheered and clapped. Curious to see how Carol’s personality and presence mixes with others, I’d like to assume she’s at least heard of thanks in her travels. Fury’s eye though oh man... I liked how they teased him about his eye being okay in the early parts. Curious why they went with the mar-vell gender bend. Either way enjoyed the movie as a whole excited to see what the Russo’s do with the character this powerful compared to our other heroes who seem a bit outclassed now.
    I think, if they continue the trend set by this film, a sequel can again do a mixture of Earth/Space Adventure. Have Carol trying to adjust to life on a Earth that is radically different from the one she left behind. That, plus maybe a mixture of PTSD, and you have an interesting hook for her psychological state. We can then explore what happened in those years via flashbacks. That way you get the best of both worlds.

Otherwise, just do a sequel in space and then, at the end, have her receive the distress call and head off. Just bring it back to the tease for Endgame.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Do you read the description of the trailer shown to Dinsey investors with Thor and Captain Marvel? Sounds like a cool scene with Thor summoning storm breaker and going all God of thunder in Carol's face. When she doesnt flinch he says " I like this one" and walks away. Lol sounds like a good scene and I have no problem with either being a power house. Though u dont feel like Thors going anywhere just yet. Cap and Tony are for sure either dead or taking a big step back I can see Hemsworth playing this role for as long as Marvel will have him
    Yeah, Hemsworth has said he doesn't want to go anywhere and will continue to play Thor for as long as Marvel will let him. He is still young enough anyway. Downey Jr may step back, but he doesn't need to get in shape to get suited up as Iron-man like he did years ago. So he may still have longevity provided Marvel keeps the paychecks coming. Evans is the dark horse: one minute he is retiring, next he isn't. But they have suitable replacements in Mackie and Stan to fill Caps role if Evans does hang up the shield.

Extraordinary Member

And now, in case there are any folks out there who are wondering about the Stan Lee cameo, where he is a reading the script of the movie "Mallrats" [released in 1995]

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Aaaaand if you want to see how that train fight scene was done, here's a Vanity Fair feature with the co-directors. I hope we get an interview with Skrull Granny Marilyn Brett on what it's like to fight Brie.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    How fast did Superman learn to control his powers in Man of Steel? How fast did the Zod crew learn to control their powers? Did anyone complain? The only problem I had with controlling her powers is how did figure out she could fly that one seem out of nowhere. To me she had control of powers for whole time and chip was stopping her from tapping her full powers.
    Her powers are all extensions of her willpower. She was falling falling falling... until she wasn't. Next we saw, she was flying, protecting Maria from attack.

Anyway... I have a big Carol bias. She was sort of my first comic book (even before X-Men). So, I have a stronger connection to her than any other MCU character. I was very skeptical going into the theatre, but I left feeling exhilarated! They did perfectly right by Carol, imo (better than recent books, even)!
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Watched yesterday.
    Unfortunately it's very weak.
    Marvel didn't put much effort into it's first female leading movie.

BANNED

I saw it last night. I was just bored and I could tell that the audience I saw it with was bored as well (until the reveal). The film was disjointed and predictable. It came more across as a DC film where the plot wasn't thought out and it was rushed into production.

And only God Himself can explain how Brie Larson got the role. She has no gravitas or any presence or charisma. Emily Blunt, Clare Foy or Kate Bekinsale she is not. She doesn't exude power and grace and femininity that Marvel women are known for and which was shown in spades by actress like Elizabeth Olsen and Lupita Nyongo. I honestly found her to be annoying and the humour fell flat and was forced. She's little more than a teenage woman who I couldn't root for. Watching the film I couldn't help but think that Gemma Chan would have been better in the role. Or Rebecca Ferguson, who I had heard was under consideration for the role.

I actually ended up walking out on it before it ended because I just couldn't bother with it anymore. Very disappointing film, especially after the wonderful work that Marvel did with the CATWS and BP. Which were two very sophisticated films and hearken to when Marvel books took their characters and couched them in reality and real world issues and embodied good storytelling. Captain Marvel is just a silly facile film that speaks to the stereotype that comic books and SH films are just for teenagers and children
    Last edited by Mia; 03-09-2019 at 06:57 AM.

BANNED

I saw it last night and it was ok. It was a funny and good enough second tier Marvel film, like the Ant Man films really. and there's nothing wrong in that. I just get the impression that the film and Marvel, wanted it to be Avengers level Epic and I personally couldnt say it was. I couldnt warm to the lead either.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am not arguing with you on that. I have said it (not sure if i said it here) Was not a fan of MOS, I feel like henry Cavil up until the fight with steppenwolf in JL was a terrible superman in every aspect. With MOS superman was living on earth since he was a baby naturally his powers developed, he had 30+ years to develop them. Captain Marvel had 30 seconds between going from inhibited to full power, and even inhibited she only had 6 years.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Saw it yesterday and i found it pretty lackster. My first big problem were the villains, especially when things cleared and saw which side was bad and which good. They were never a threat to our hero, who was pretty badass. IMO, i never felted there was a serious challenge against Carol.

Speaking of Carol, trying to ignore the controversary about Larson, i was so thrilled about her. There was the thematic of being a woman into a man's world(in here flashback/memories) but we didn't see her coming of as an incompetent or weak into her mission. My feelings after viewing is that Carol is cool,but not cool, struggled but not really struggled and i feel that a more energetic actress would work better.

Stan Lee's tribute is probably my favorite MCU title opener.

I didn't like that Fury was turned into a comical relief. He came more as goofy, rather than green, inexperienced agent. And really, i hated how he lost his eye and being so cool after the injury(like it was a sitcom comedy).

I rate this film 5.5/10. Mediocre, with potentials.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

5.5....at best.

I like Captain Marvel but this was a disappointment. I really wanted this movie to be great but it was only slightly interesting. I think it was more the story than the characters that turner me off.

It's a movie I probably wont see a second time.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Not every Skrull is a monster, like she thought. Not ever Kree is a noble warrior.
    Hero.

Not every Kree is a noble warrior hero.

I enjoyed the movie. It's easily one of the better debut solo outings. It's got its flaws and mistakes, but I dunno what some of ya'll are bitching about.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'd give it a 7 out of 10. An enjoyable movie that didn't knock my socks off, but didn't bore me either. Basically standard lower middle Marvel movie. Though I will say I think the strengths of the movie were more in the supporting characters Fury and the Rambeau's (do love that they worked in Monica in the MCU so they can potentially use her later)
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Larson was miscast you can tell she was trying too hard and we got a bit of mess of a performance in the end. There wasn't that wow scene either like the Trench moment in WW. The film wasn't bad just forgettable like 90% of MCU movies and lacked any visual style at all. Seriously compare the directing style of the last CBM movie AM and this looks like your average epsiode of Supergirl!

The cockpit line was pretty cringe and forced.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.