Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Age of X-Man: PRISONER X #1 Discussion (SPOILERS)

HOLY HELL!!

AGE OF X-MAN: PRISONER X #1 Will Make You Love Bishop and the Age of X-Man – ComicsVerse
    By Peyton Hinckle...

... Writer Vita Ayala and artists German Peralta and Mike Spicer are the pinnacle of a dream team and this first issue shows it. AGE OF X-MAN: PRISONER X #1 is thought-provoking without being unintelligible, beautiful without being overworked, and dark without being bleak. It is exactly what I, and probably a lot of people, wanted out of an AGE OF X-MAN series. ...

... Beyond Complex

Very rarely does a well-written comic have art that’s just as good. Many of the recent X-Men series have fallen victim to this phenomenon (particularly DOMINO and X-MEN: BLUE). As readers, we need quality art to keep us entertained and enthralled with the story. Comics are as much art as they are writing.

Thankfully, AGE OF X-MAN: PRISONER X #1 delivers both from a storyline perspective as well as artistically. German Peralta and Mike Spicer are some of the best artists in the business. Peralta’s style is realistic (and always anatomically correct) without creeping into the uncanny valley. His work still looks like a comic book — just an incredibly well done comic book.

AGE OF X-MAN: PRISONER X #1 Deserves Five Stars

If you’re one of the many who rejected this arc, you might want to read AGE OF X-MAN: PRISONER X #1. This is not your average comic, nor is it your above-average comic; it’s better than that. This is a really strong issue that could mark the beginning of a fantastic miniseries. Don’t skip it just because it’s part of the Age of X-Man line. If you love the X-Men and love good comics, then there’s a good chance you’ll enjoy AGE OF X-MAN: PRISONER X #1.
    Age Of X-Man: Prisoner X #1 Review – AiPT!
    This might be my favorite tie-in to Age of X-Man yet... David Brooke...

... Vita Ayala draws you into Bishop’s plight by sprinkling strange voices in his head, awkward interactions with characters, and a hint at something much deeper going on. You’re drawn into these little details in the best of ways which will get your imagination spinning as you try to crack the mystery. Seeing this prison from Bishop’s eyes is quite easy to do thanks to the reader being in the same place as far as knowledge of this place. It’s also fun to see how Ayala integrates other mutants into the story. ...

Just... WOW!!!

'Kay, will read myself now, and post my thoughts real-time as I do.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 03-06-2019 at 08:10 AM.

That's great news. Honestly even though I've bought all the #1s, I think I was most looking forward to this book from the start. I plan on definitely collecting this one and Marvelous X-Men in singles (as MXM seems to be the "core" book), and wait for trade on the rest, but I don't think I can wait on this one.

I wasnt gonna pick this up but now im extremely intrigued. And although I despise jesus Nate. Age of X-Man hasnt beent that bad.

Fantastic Member

I loved Peralta's run on the last 5 issues of Cable, so I went into this excited from the start. Top notch.

Great characterizations, interesting setup, everything looks good. When Shard showed up, I about did a spit take. Holy F this is a good issue.

This was pretty solid. I’m not sure I had the same “mind-blowing” reaction as some did, but it was a good story featuring Bishop. Highly enjoyable with good art.

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

A really great intro. Vita does a wonderful job, and so does German and Mike.

Sets up a lot of mystery that left me eager to read the next issue. Bishop getting glimpses of his past life made me smile (Shard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and it seems that perhaps Lorna is aware as well. I wonder who it is she's talking to. Though I wonder if him remembering (Or was that Polaris remembering?) Lorna as Pestilence will have some significance later on. Dani certainly realizes things aren't right, but there's still a lot of mystery around her being here, that she herself seems aware of. Beast and Gabby were kind of grating, but that's who they are here. I honestly can't wait till issue two.
    Last edited by Soulsword323; 03-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Mighty Member

Could Dani be there because X-man and her were starting to become an item in New Mutants? Not really Dani, but a construct of her for his “crimes”?

This issue was a fun mindf*ck to read about—look.........this is the first black writer to handle Bishop (and maybe Shard?). Also, I love that Ayala is also the first black non-binary writer to be working on the X-Men period. I definitely enjoyed this the most out of all the Age of X-Man tie-ins so far.

BANNED

Gabby clearly works better as a villain.

So was it Trinary we saw, or was it Dani, or even her AoA sister Dana Moonstar?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Gabby clearly works better as a villain.
    Her telling on him to Beast, then subsequently handing him a chair to bash Bishop over the head was golden.

Fantastic Member

so praise for story and bishop aside what happens in this issue spoilers plz?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Nobody seems to know. My bet is she's Trinary because she only has one braid of hair.

BANNED

We open with the eXcellent, mood-setting, 5-page preview teaser. THEN, page by page:

6. OMG... SHARD?! (Pauses, to fully absorb the absolutely IDEAL art.)
    7. Or not... apparently, mirages aren't going to be associated with just Dani Moonstar, and apparitions are going to be a-plenty. Gabby's got game & crackin' wise, as usual, but reveals Lucas & Lorna have the eXact same, hallucinatory issues... when it comes to 'seeing' "invisible" people, and/or 'hearing' them (laughter), it seems.
    8. BEAST! More monstrous than ever here (as the lil' one's overseer and... watchdog), both literally & figuratively (props to Peralta, again), BUT...
    9. ... in steps the Mirage, who definitely appears more corporeal, than other passing phantoms shown so far. Her 'voice', is calming & reassuring, and her guiding advice is accepted.
    10. From breakfast in the cafeteria to the yard, other memories for Lucas--of both Honey B. & X-23--are resurfacing. Polaris is seen also, glimpsed really, but not without subtly being depicted as noticing Bishop's internal struggles.
    11. Gabby with attitude again, on the B-ball court. And the mention of memories ("brain fuzzies") & bein' like Lorna, too, as well as the allusion to Beast's threat.
    12. FINALLY, Bishop approaches Polaris, calling her by that name. But in his OR her head, he/she questions... "Or Pestilence?" He broaches the subject of their implied, shared mental disturbances. Moonstar conveniently intervenes again, saying Lorna's "having a bad day," and asks him to join her instead.
    13. The tour, and attempts at eXplanation... commiserating, commences. BEAUTIFUL page presentation here, in both visuals & wording. Dani expounding on how things work--how they are--on the inside, is like poetry, and really gave me the feels: "... LIKE GRAVITATES TO LIKE. FOR PROTECTION, BUT MORE FOR UNDERSTANDING. THEY MAY HAVE TAKEN AWAY THE POWERS, BUT WHAT MAKES US SPECIAL REMAINS."
    14. Just like the last, the neXt page is a sight to behold, and she shares her own confusion & doubts about what's real & what's not. We see her as the Moonstar we know, and as Valkyrie. But almost on purpose, their moment together is interrupted & cut short, by an alarm & announcement that outside time has ended.
    15. Beast RAGING, and practically frothing at the mouth, as he violently attacks Bishop. Provoked by a tattletale Gabby, who looks on, with complete gratification/smug satisfaction.
    16. Lucas quickly recovers tho, stands his ground, and the fight ensues. But so do memories of friendlier times... places, which takes him out of battle mode long enough, to give Beast the upper hand with his furious fists.
    17. Bishop briefly tries to reason with him, but the guards quickly intercede, and bring the big guy down with a jolt from multiple tasers.
    18. Lockdown for all, as a result. Dani visits one more time, outside his cell, and the ghostly howling heard earlier resumes.
    19. Now it's more like cackling, tho, and he sees--we see--the spidery Shadow King from his recent Astonishing stint, tempting tauntingly... Apocalypse in his true form, decimating Marvelous-looking members Storm, Colossus, and JEAN, while warning of the immense danger he poses... SHARD, in the clutches of a Sentinel & being crushed, issuing a dire message of her own.
    20. It eXpertly concludes with a fleeing shadow, and a mysterious note that's left behind by said, secretive... ally(?), which reads: "THE DREAM IS REAL, THE REALITY FALSE! GET OUT!"

Need a minute now, to take it all in, and collect my--like their--fragmented thoughts. What I can say, is that YES... I was pretty much BLOWN AWAY!
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 03-06-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    Nobody seems to know. My bet is she's Trinary because she only has one braid of hair.
    No, only you apparently don’t know because it’s Dani. It was made even clearer in the issue.