Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    I don’t know if it’s the petty in me, but I’m glad that Glob isn’t the only one who mysteriously knows somewhat of what happened before (Snoop, don’t send your shooters).

-It sounds like Polaris knows something
    -Bishop thinks something is wrong
    -Bling!, Anole, and the prisoner at the end flat out know this is a false reality
    -Laura and Gabby get flashes of their previous memories

It makes the reality seem more unstable and less of Glob being the superultramegabadass protagonist who’s gonna break reality with his coolness.

Also. I don’t know if it was intentional or not but I really love the ‘Get Out!’ at the end of the note.
    Why would you even think that Glob would be the only one when as you mention Laura had flashes and her issue came out before Globs?

I know it sounds strange but is it possible that the Dani who appears here is a physical manifestation of Dani’s lost powers? Whether or not that’s the case, I do think that she in some way has to do with why Bishop is seeing so many flashes, especially the ones of fear as he sleeps.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    ... This book is the best one, re-read 3 times. it will be torture wait one month for this.

SO looking at the shadow somebody knows who is the 4-fingered mutant that delivered the letter?
    DANG, your zeal beats mine, even. Think I'm gonna try readin' it a 2nd time now, to see if there's anything I missed, or new that I notice.

Been meaning to get to this, who do y'all think it is/was, "Moonstar"? Polaris? Somebody else that we've seen, or haven't yet, maybe?

The shadow made it look like whoever it was, had only 4 fingers? I'll have to check, as I didn't catch that lil' but if so, VERY important detail. And if an actuality, LONGSHOT's the first & foremost that comes to mind.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I know it sounds strange but is it possible that the Dani who appears here is a physical manifestation of Dani’s lost powers? Whether or not that’s the case, I do think that she in some way has to do with why Bishop is seeing so many flashes, especially the ones of fear as he sleeps.
    Ooh, THIS is an interesting notion, I LIKE it!

I really liked this issue. I felt it was a strong issue. I think this may be my favorite of the Age of X-man books. Bishop is a great character and I love seeing him in a leading role.

BANNED

Pretty solid start, though I'm getting tired of saying this about every #1 from this event. Overall, it ranks above X-Tremists, below Nightcrawler and on par with Marvelous and NextGen. I'm curious to see where this goes, but it's not as exciting as some of the others. Maybe I'm just sleepy. The art is really good, though. I don't think Legion's the person laughing, but he's somehow influencing this, I think. Shard and the dreams with the villains seem like someone deliberately trying to wake Lucas and Legion would fit that bill.

I do wonder why Polaris seems to be under the same effect, though. I can understand Bishop, because he already said in the Alpha issue he has memories of other timelines. In the AoXM canon, he is from another timeline, so it would make sense that his brain works a bit differently. I hope the reason for Lorna makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Something like that has happened before to other characters in the MU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    My thoughts on this.

I like the art and costume. Art is obviously quality. Costume retains her iconic look, but is reminiscent of her first, original costume in many ways. Plus it has that metallic sheen that hints at her powers. So all in all, the art and look for Lorna are great and rarely seen out of Marvel.

The idea of her being "evil" is an interesting one. Since it's an AU version of her with whatever changes Nate Grey thought should happen, we know Lorna being "evil" is all a matter of AU perspective. I'm taking it as a mix of playing to her long history of being used by villains (especially knowing her time as Pestilence came up), and her hard-coded mutant philosophy not playing to Nate's idealized vision of the world. Could also take it as a testament to how willful she is that while Magneto could work with Nate's designs, perhaps Lorna had to be presented this way cause she couldn't be made to fit. It also just in general plays to how Lorna as her own character hasn't really "belonged" for most of her history.

Bishop beating her is also fine. For one, this is an AU, so arguments of who would really beat who go out the window. But more importantly, we don't know exactly how Bishop won. And I'm not the sort of fan that thinks their fave should never lose fights. The losses just have to make sense. In this case, we don't have details so I can assume the loss made sense.

My last thing to say, though, goes back to the criticism I've been leveling about this book.

This "Secret History" page perfectly demonstrates even more that Bishop should've had a different book, and Lorna should've been the lead of Prisoner X. Or at minimum that Bishop and Polaris as co-leads would've been better than Bishop as full lead here. A separate Bishop book could've been all about him hunting down mutants like Lorna and starting to question the world and his part in it as he did so. Meanwhile, Lorna could've been the vehicle for Prisoner X as a representation of what locked up mutants go through, and resisting the "natural order" of Age of X. What we have instead is a single book that doesn't let Lorna lead a base concept that her Gifted use clearly inspired, and any ideas for Bishop's time as a bounty hunter (or cop, or whatever) have to be relegated to single image representations like this.

I recognize people like Prisoner X. But I don't look only at what is or what was. I also look at what could have been but isn't. I don't do this only in the case of Lorna. I've done it with Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, countless other things. My assessment is that regardless of how good this may be, a different book with Bishop as lead and this book with Polaris as lead would have been better than this book with Bishop leading and Polaris as a lower level character for his story.
    Bishop grew up in a concentration camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Bishop grew up in a concentration camp.
    Thanks for that information. I stick by what I said though. This setting is a prison, not a concentration camp, and it's pretty clear that it's inspired by Gifted with the combo of its aesthetics (the uniforms), tools (power suppression collars), why mutants end up here (for "crimes," not just for being mutants), and timeline between when Gifted season 1 happened and when this book happened.

Change the scenario to one where it's a concentration camp and I'd understand and agree.
    Last edited by salarta; 03-06-2019 at 10:04 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    ... I do wonder why Polaris seems to be under the same effect, though. I can understand Bishop, because he already said in the Alpha issue he has memories of other timelines. In the AoXM canon, he is from another timeline, so it would make sense that his brain works a bit differently. I hope the reason for Lorna makes sense.
    Seems like it would, as Vita doesn't strike me as the kinda creator who develops important plot points, in a haphazard manner.

My thoughts on this.

Serving Nick Fury realness

Issue Alpha hadn't show us nothing about the Prision X, so it's the first #1 mini that doesn't feel like a recap.
    Intringuing moments, tension and lot's of references. And a art the matches with the history (sorry, X-tremists)
    Best mini so far.

I hate smart-ass-prodigy-kid Gabby, so this new sadist version of her is very enjoyble.

Astonishing Member

Thanks for that information. I stick by what I said though. This setting is a prison, not a concentration camp, and it's pretty clear that it's inspired by Gifted with the combo of its aesthetics (the uniforms), tools (power suppression collars), why mutants end up here (for "crimes," not just for being mutants), and timeline between when Gifted season 1 happened and when this book happened.

Change the scenario to one where it's a concentration camp and I'd understand and agree.
    ...all prison stories involve uniforms and all mutants in prison stories involve collars...it’s not like Gifted was the first show to have a prisoner unjustly convicted story...not seeing how this was ‘clearly’ inspired by the Gifted.

Again I really liked what I saw here.

-Bishop was pretty good overall and the connections he's making with the cast will roll into some good drama.
    -I'm watching you Dani.
    -Lorna seems extra drained. Plus the mention of Pestilence...you think Nate Grey did something more to former Horsemen of Apoc?
    -That laughing...yeah just like with those loudspeakers I think Legion is closer than we think.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    ...all prison stories involve uniforms and all mutants in prison stories involve collars...it’s not like Gifted was the first show to have a prisoner unjustly convicted story...not seeing how this was ‘clearly’ inspired by the Gifted.
    I mentioned four elements that were to be taken together: uniforms, tools, reason for being in this prison, and timeline/timeliness. The two you talked about are easily dismissed when they're taken alone instead of alongside the other two.

If "prisoner unjustly convicted story" was meant to address reason for being in prison, I'd say it doesn't cover this.

1) The reason is more specific than that: it's dangerous mutants locked up for disobeying the law. 2) I never said Gifted did it first, I said Gifted did it very recently and is the most recent case of it. It's only been a year and a half. In which a big chunk of that time (I assume at least 6 months) would've gone into forming ideas, developing the plotline, assembling talent, promotion, publishing, getting into stores for sale, etc.
    Last edited by salarta; 03-06-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)