Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Again I really liked what I saw here.

-Bishop was pretty good overall and the connections he's making with the cast will roll into some good drama.
    -I'm watching you Dani.
    -Lorna seems extra drained. Plus the mention of Pestilence...you think Nate Grey did something more to former Horsemen of Apoc?
    -That laughing...yeah just like with those loudspeakers I think Legion is closer than we think.
    Lorna isn't just a former Horseman, but also Magneto's daughter, which just gives Nate an even greater reason for why she's in prison.

Nate didn't have Warren or Sunfire locked up and they were Horsemen too, though we also see Bishop dreaming about Apocalypse standing over beaten X-Men, so maybe Apocalypse did try to stage a rebellion once before and it was stopped?

Or Bishop's mind still can't imagine Nate being the evil one, so his kind is substituting images of Apocalypse and his Horsemen because it is easier for him to handle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    ...all prison stories involve uniforms and all mutants in prison stories involve collars...it’s not like Gifted was the first show to have a prisoner unjustly convicted story...not seeing how this was ‘clearly’ inspired by the Gifted.
    In the conteXt of AoXM--which came to fruition rather recently & quite quickly, from what I understand--Prisoner X has very little in common with those few, Gifted S1 early episodes, that featured an incarcerated Polaris, IMO. Probably with Lorna specifically there's some similarities, but only superficially speaking, and not much beyond that so far.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I thought you nerds were just over hyping the book but it was pretty good. So this tied with Next Gen are my favs for Age of X-Man so far.
    Good use of Hank and Gabby btw.
    When's X-Tracts?

Favourite pages but I don't recall that panel in the middle with mad Gabby.

13.jpg18.jpg22.jpg
    "Cable was right!"

I liked it a lot. I'm very curious about why Moonstar exists in Age of X-Man but other missing mutants in Disassembled do not.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    The...

... Danger Room, I think you mean.
    Yeah that is what i meant.I don't know why i mentioned Cerebro So Bishop second infraction was conspiracy to dessiminate anti-autonomy misinformation. Sounds like he snapped out of it and tried to warn the others. Looking forward to finding out why the others are in there. I'm guessing Polaris and Gabby are there because of family relationships to Magneto and X-23 maybe just the sight of those 2 could make Eric and X-23 remember. Beast as a prison shotcaller is unexpected.

Seeing Shard, even as a construct of some kind (which she’s used to lol), was a delightful and fitting surprise!

Indeed this was the best AoXM issue since Alpha in what is shaping up to be a REALLY strong event.
    Last edited by MYCMTSC; 03-07-2019 at 06:37 AM.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Thanks for that information. I stick by what I said though. This setting is a prison, not a concentration camp, and it's pretty clear that it's inspired by Gifted with the combo of its aesthetics (the uniforms), tools (power suppression collars), why mutants end up here (for "crimes," not just for being mutants), and timeline between when Gifted season 1 happened and when this book happened.

Change the scenario to one where it's a concentration camp and I'd understand and agree.
    Pretty inspired by Deadpool 2.

I mean, if we're citing just recent stuff, and not XTAS, CC's Genosha, etc., then it's pretty inspired by Deadpool 2.

I'm a little curious how one might differentiate between "prison" and "camp" at such a level of granularity where this comparison becomes an issue, though.

So is Shard the final member of the cast or is it Shadow King?

Got to admit, I honestly thought Marvel was ignoring that anyone other than Warren was ever a Horseman. So acknowledging that Lorna was Pestilence is surprising

The mystery of the two Danis seems intriguing and it'll be nice to see at least one of her get some actual focus

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Seeing Shard, even as a construct of some kind (which she’s used to lol), was a delightful and fitting surprise!

Indeed this was the best AoXM issue since Alpha in what is shaping up to be a REALLY strong event.
    They both have something in common and that's Bishop. Yes he's the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Pretty inspired by Deadpool 2.

I mean, if we're citing just recent stuff, and not XTAS, CC's Genosha, etc., then it's pretty inspired by Deadpool 2.

I'm a little curious how one might differentiate between "prison" and "camp" at such a level of granularity where this comparison becomes an issue, though.
    So I have a few different parts of this to respond to.

Deadpool 2 is a better argument IMO. But in that case, I'd say this book should've co-starred whichever mutant was most heavily used in Deadpool 2's Ice Box and Lorna. I'm being very open with that suggestion because I haven't watched Deadpool 2 and currently won't be (I forgot about watching the Deadpool films before end of 2018). Otherwise I could make the argument that Lorna's Gifted situation was more popular and more heavily talked about than what happened with Deadpool 2, and we know that Marvel loves to tie its comics into things happening with their properties in film and TV these days.

The "prison vs camp" matter doesn't need much granularity. Camps are blanket and prejudicial based on a person's race, religion, etc, nothing to do with any actions they've committed. You might see a baby in a camp (as horrible as that is), but you wouldn't see them locked up in prison. Prison inmates are there based on actions they've taken or are accused of taking on an individual basis. We can go into prejudice leading to arrests sending people to prison, but even in those cases, a cop/law enforcement body needs to at least pretend legally that it's for reasons other than "this guy is black" and present "evidence" (even if falsified) for those individual cases.

A little more I want to add to my Prisoner X Secret History comments. I know people tend to assume things based only on what they see, not considering what could have been said. With that in mind. I could have complained about Lorna being classified as an "evil" mutant and said Marvel was 1) acting like she wasn't really a part of the X-Men, and 2) dumbing down her character complexity. Despite Marvel's history of treatment of Lorna (particularly since 2015), I presented an amicable interpretation of the "evil" descriptor. I provided a possible explanation that simultaneously fits this AU and would be a good angle for Lorna, then went with it as what's going on. I point this out because my goal isn't to just complain about anything. I only say things that I feel are justified and have solid backing. Meaning what I see tells me Prisoner X was heavily inspired by Gifted's use of Lorna, and not letting her lead it continues a long tradition of Marvel taking things away from her and giving them to other characters.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

Dani's in Uncanny X-Men, so it's impossible for this to be the real Dani. That's why she says her memories can't be right. She's an imposter of some sort.

My initial point to saying this person is Dani was that Ayala is trying to portray them as "Dani" or something comprised of her memories. Not necessarily that she's the real Dani but that she's definitely not Trinary either.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    I really hope it isn't Legion. The person messing with the prisoners seems to be aware that the AoXM isn't the real world, unless David isn't in control of his own mind or is being reverted to his 80s/90s characterization, I would think he would be trying his best to break everyone out of this AU. I think Legion will be in this title at some point and is being used by Nate somehow, but I don't want him to be the crazy evil guy again.
    If it is Legion, I think Nate would try to depower him as much as he can while David tries to reach out to the X-Men as much as he can. I don't think the laughing or the mixture of 1191/616/AoA/AOXM memories or the "mirages" are being done to mess with Bishop but to get him to question his surroundings.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    The Get Out was probably intentional, it is a big reference and written by a black writer with a black lead makes sense
    Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Yeah...

... the connection wasn't lost on me, either. And pretty sure it was likely intentional. I'd actually be kinda disappointed, if it wasn't.
    I'm gonna be honest, I don't know why I questioned if it was intentional or not. The non-subtle intent was leaking off the page.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    We should ask JDW when we'll see the story arc that takes place before Disassembled where Trinary takes up archery and pegasus riding!
    Didn't you hear? They're scrapping the original plans for the AOXM: Omega issue and dedicating it only to Trinary getting laser mole removal surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why would you even think that Glob would be the only one when as you mention Laura had flashes and her issue came out before Globs?
    Because we've gotten hints that Glob would be a special case before Marvelous or Nextgen hit stands. One hint was the Nextgen cover where Glob stands out from a bunch of students who are in a trance-like state:

Plus, in the Alpha issue:

I mentioned this in the Dani thread but I hope the girl here is the real Dani. Maybe Nate was able to pull her consciousness into this. That would leave Danilocke asa TO shell, similar to Douglock

This was great and probably my favourite issue since the Alpha.

- Loving to hate Gabby took me by surprised after usually loving to love her character
    - Bishop is the perfect protagonist for this and I hope this sets him down a new and interesting path.
    - I'm glad this Dani is getting character development (I also think it's her consciousness/mind and her body in Uncanny is a shell)
    - The mystery, tone, pacing, and world building was really well done (especially in contrast to X-tremists).

BANNED

I hope Vita gets more work in the future