Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 67
  1. #31
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    870

    Default

    Yeah. Now that Cassie is not wearing the red/gold -- Donna should go back to wearing it. Sorry, but the black just isn't a good look on her -- especially the version she's worn since Rebirth. Here's hoping Johns fixes her origin -- to match the one from the Titans TV series.

  2. #32
    Marston > Kirby Vaffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Yeah. Now that Cassie is not wearing the red/gold -- Donna should go back to wearing it. Sorry, but the black just isn't a good look on her -- especially the version she's worn since Rebirth. Here's hoping Johns fixes her origin -- to match the one from the Titans TV series.
    My favorite is the un-fleshed-out Heinberg version: she was the mirror twin who grew up on Paradise Island as WW's sister, but whose life was interrupted by Dark Angel. It's cleaner and simpler in lots of ways.

    But that's something we can all debate once we know if Doomsday Clock is pointing the way to a Rebirthing of Donna.

  3. #33
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post
    My favorite is the un-fleshed-out Heinberg version: she was the mirror twin who grew up on Paradise Island as WW's sister, but whose life was interrupted by Dark Angel. It's cleaner and simpler in lots of ways.

    But that's something we can all debate once we know if Doomsday Clock is pointing the way to a Rebirthing of Donna.
    How is that clean and simple? It's basically the same as the one we have now.

  4. #34
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,796

    Default

    Just make her an orphaned girl adopted by Hippolyta again. Make Hermes or another God the one who rescues her and delivers her to the Amazons, and have her leave a few months after Diana to become Wonder Girl. She hasn't been back since until after whatever happens in Wilson's run with Themyscira.

  5. #35
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York City/San Francisco/Singapore
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post
    My favorite is the un-fleshed-out Heinberg version: she was the mirror twin who grew up on Paradise Island as WW's sister, but whose life was interrupted by Dark Angel. It's cleaner and simpler in lots of ways.
    This is Byrne's version for Donna Troy, during his run on Wonder Woman.

  6. #36
    Marston > Kirby Vaffrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    This is Byrne's version for Donna Troy, during his run on Wonder Woman.
    More or less. Byrne created the mirror twin idea. Heinberg's restatement of it in the "Who is Wonder Woman?" arc suggested a simplification. (It was basically condensed into a sentence which could be read as tweaking it, since it came in the aftermath of the Infinite Crisis continuity reset.) I refer to it as the Heinberg version so that we don't get mired in the whole Dark Angel saga as it was written, the post-Crisis history, etc.

    As for why (the other poster asked) I think it is cleaner -- it doesn't require an explanation for how she gets to the island. You just need some reason for her to be younger than Diana and her own individual self, which the Dark Angel interruption supplies. Then all you need is a reason Dark Angel would do this, which doesn't need Hippolyta going back in time to WWII -- since the Amazons are immortal, and presumably have been helping save the world and battling monsters throughout the centuries, you just need Dark Angel to have a grievance at some point in the past, and that's easy to fill in.

  7. #37
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    374

    Default

    I wish they had gone with a Julia Kapetelis-like shipwreck. Donna is rescued by Hippolyte or a pre-Wonder Woman Diana after a fire at sea.

  8. #38
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,760

    Default

    Agree wholeheartedly with SeanT. The key should be to have a strong and positive relation between Diana and Donna with as few moving parts as possible in creating that relation. Not every hero needs to have a tragic backstory or have suffered from brainwashing or having been created by malicious intent.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  9. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    19,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post
    More or less. Byrne created the mirror twin idea. Heinberg's restatement of it in the "Who is Wonder Woman?" arc suggested a simplification. (It was basically condensed into a sentence which could be read as tweaking it, since it came in the aftermath of the Infinite Crisis continuity reset.) I refer to it as the Heinberg version so that we don't get mired in the whole Dark Angel saga as it was written, the post-Crisis history, etc.

    As for why (the other poster asked) I think it is cleaner -- it doesn't require an explanation for how she gets to the island. You just need some reason for her to be younger than Diana and her own individual self, which the Dark Angel interruption supplies. Then all you need is a reason Dark Angel would do this, which doesn't need Hippolyta going back in time to WWII -- since the Amazons are immortal, and presumably have been helping save the world and battling monsters throughout the centuries, you just need Dark Angel to have a grievance at some point in the past, and that's easy to fill in.
    I think the "adopted by Hippolyta and the Amazons" origin does this better without the convoluted stuff like Dark Angel and why Donna is younger than Diana.

  10. #40
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vaffrey View Post
    More or less. Byrne created the mirror twin idea. Heinberg's restatement of it in the "Who is Wonder Woman?" arc suggested a simplification. (It was basically condensed into a sentence which could be read as tweaking it, since it came in the aftermath of the Infinite Crisis continuity reset.) I refer to it as the Heinberg version so that we don't get mired in the whole Dark Angel saga as it was written, the post-Crisis history, etc.

    As for why (the other poster asked) I think it is cleaner -- it doesn't require an explanation for how she gets to the island. You just need some reason for her to be younger than Diana and her own individual self, which the Dark Angel interruption supplies. Then all you need is a reason Dark Angel would do this, which doesn't need Hippolyta going back in time to WWII -- since the Amazons are immortal, and presumably have been helping save the world and battling monsters throughout the centuries, you just need Dark Angel to have a grievance at some point in the past, and that's easy to fill in.
    The Wonder Woman: Amazon Warrior book from scholastic also had a similar simplified version of the Byrne mirror clone origin(Dark angel is made out to be somebody Hippolyta fought in ancient Greece, and there's no mention Donna being forced to live multiple lives, just her being kidnapped and held captive by Dark Angel until Diana rescued her). I still don't like the whole magical clone business and would much rather they just have her be orphan who shipwrecked on Themyscira and was found and adopted by Diana and Hippolyta, and don't see how that isn't much simpler and easier to understand. At most the Dark Angel kidnapping her could be used to explain why we don't see Donna on Themyscira during Diana's origin in Year One. Even then I'd rather just say she was distraught over the possibility of Diana leaving and refused to watch contest, and make a continuity insert where after winning Diana goes to say goodbye to Donna in private.

    If it's possible I really do wish they'd just return Donna to variant of her classic origin. I can see no good reason not to. Things were looking good for quite a few months at the beginning of rebirth until the titans annual and they went back doubled down on the finch origin despite it not making any sense with the retcon that New 52 Themyscira was fake. I still wonder what their thought process behind the scenes was.

    Maybe if they're planning to put her back into a red costume to tie in with her appearance in the Titans show they'll also fix her origin around the same time. The Titans show can get her origin right so far, there's no reason they can't do the same.

  11. #41
    Unapologetic Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Department H
    Posts
    1,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Same! I need to see Donna in the Wonder Woman comic though.
    This. Make her an integral part of Wonder Woman’s supporting cast. Show her interacting more with the other Amazons. Also, I’d love to see her in an updated version of her Dodson designed Wonder Woman costume.

  12. #42
    Incredible Member MarquisAsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    This. Make her an integral part of Wonder Woman’s supporting cast. Show her interacting more with the other Amazons. Also, I’d love to see her in an updated version of her Dodson designed Wonder Woman costume.
    I would also like to see her having a relationship with Hippolyta outside of Diana as well.

  13. #43
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    870

    Default

    The TV show used the classic origin, but made Donna a teenager instead of an infant -- so that Wonder Woman wouldn't be too much older than Donna. It's a small change to the original. The mirror duplicate origin is messy to me.

    I'm guessing that a lot of the characters who went to Mars -- did so for a reason. And that reason is fox Johns to fix them.
    Last edited by kcekada; 03-11-2019 at 04:54 PM.

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    4,583

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    This. Make her an integral part of Wonder Woman’s supporting cast. Show her interacting more with the other Amazons. Also, I’d love to see her in an updated version of her Dodson designed Wonder Woman costume.
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    I would also like to see her having a relationship with Hippolyta outside of Diana as well.
    Also Donna's own unique relationships with other Amazons. Maybe some we have never met before.

  15. #45
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    870

    Default

    Making Donna part of Wonder Woman's supporting cast would encourage me to buy Wonder Woman.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •