Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default What's your opinion about G. W. Wilson in Wonder Woman?

This thread is to talk about the writing of G.W. Wilson for Wonder Woman.

What's your opinion?

With one of the main issues being how many writers have been Diana’s features she has lacked in showing Diana’s strength. Her stories are hit or miss

BANNED

It's more of the same problem that Wonder Woman has had for years. Not enough adventures, underwhelming action and power for a book starring a so called amazon Goddess Powerhouse. Her personality is lacking. She is way too pasive, always reacting to things happening around her. Like she is waiting for something to happen, otherwise she doesn't move. More family drama stories that never seem to go anywhere, because the next writer falls into them again and again like they are never ending. Not to mention we had to have yet again another who am i arc when this run started, when it should be clear who Wonder Woman is by now. So far i don't like it. And things are not bright outside her title either.

It’s been “ok” so far. I was hoping Wilson would find her groove sooner but so far nothing she’s writing has been all that exciting. JMS did the “gods are reborn in new forms” story over in Thor and it was much more exciting and had much better art. I still intend to follow along for now, there are aspects I like and enjoy, but I really hope Wilson can start ramping up soon.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

'
    In my opinion, her run hasn't lived up to the hype. The plots have been underwhelming and reminiscent of some past WW runs such as new forms for the gods(Rucka's 1st run) and WW/Giganta being frenemies(Simone's run). One minute Diana wants to cut her opponent's stomach open before the opponent even lays a finger on her(Nemesis) and the next, she wants to hug her adversary into defeat(Veronica Cale). I'd like to see a happy medium between these two tactics. Also - the talking animal creatures are already annoying. They need to go ASAP.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

To me it's been a very average run so far. The best I've been able to say after any issue is, it was ok. I've been disappointed after waiting out the last run until a new creative team took over. If things don't pick up soon I'm not sure how much longer I can stick around.

I don't mean to rip Wilson or be disrespectful, but her writing seems a bit amateur.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm liking it so far. It's nice that the book is moving in a direction again, after the abysmal Robinson run and filler runs. I like how she's building on the continuity established in Rebirth, and her basic ideas (Ares trying to be good and his nature getting in the way, Cale/Nemesis dynamic, Diana teaming up with Giganta, etc.) are all very good and executed in a mostly good way. The pacing as single issues is a bit too slow though. Like Rucka's run, it reads better in one sitting than it does in individual installments. But Rucka had much better art elevating his run, and better action scenes when they did happen. I feel like if the book had some great regular artisits, half the problems of this run would vanish. The art (especially Nord) is letting the writing down. Nord's Diana looks way more indecisive than I think Wilson is intending her to be. And the art contradicts some of the writing (like Diana saying she has Ares bound in the lasso, when Nord shows it on her hip).

I'm hoping the Themyscira plot doesn't take too much longer, or at least has some more interesting stops along the way. June's solicits, while interesting, are less exciting than getting to see Giganta show up. I was hoping for some more villains after Cale and Giganta. Eirene, Cadmus and Damon are fun new characters, but I could use a break from them for a couple issues. Unless Ferdinand was accompanying them.

Pretty much agree with SiegePerilous02.

Wilson isn't really a writer focused on superhero action, as I read her: to her that is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself.

Another factor here is that Wilson is clearly interested in exploring questions of privilege, justice, and otherness. These are things that go to the core of Wonder Woman's character, but they have been suppressed and ignored for far too long. (There are some exceptions, but I think it's no surprise that Hiketeia is held as a classic Wonder Women party partly because it wrestles with such problems.) She clearly identified early on that Wonder Woman herself is a deeply privileged figure, and that the earlier writers from Rebirth onwards never discussed these issues.

Thus I read the implied critique of Wonder Woman in #59, #63, #64, and #66 as less about making Diana appear small, indecisive, or less than morally upright, and more about the way the earlier runs in the Rebirth run has pushed her into such a stance.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I'm surprised the comic doesn't have something like a regular cast, by now, considering who is writing. While Eirene, Cadmus and Damon feel very temporary, I hope Wilson installs Doris Zeul, as Wonder Woman's aide-de-camp, as I expect she will comically play well beside principled, good-natured Diana and brash, testy Etta.

If we can't get a girl's nite-out, with Diana, Doris and Etta, while G. W. Wilson is on the book, it'll be a crime.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-23-2019 at 08:53 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Astonishing Member

In my opinion, Wilson is good writer, but (so far) I don't think she's a good writer for Wonder Woman.

So far, I don't find the story interesting. The pacing is also pretty slow, but threre are some pretty rushed resolutions.

However, my main problem with her writing is Wonder Woman.

Wilson can write interesting and funny characters (I really like how she writes Aphrodite, Steve, Giganta, between others), but her Wonder Woman isn't one of these characters.

I don't care much about the power feats of Wonder Woman, so that isn't my problem. My problem is that I don't find her Wonder Woman interesting or charismatic.
    Last edited by Konja7; 03-23-2019 at 08:57 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Wilson isn't really a writer focused on superhero action, as I read her: to her that is a means to an end, not an end in and of itself.

Another factor here is that Wilson is clearly interested in exploring questions of privilege, justice, and otherness. These are things that go to the core of Wonder Woman's character, but they have been suppressed and ignored for far too long. (There are some exceptions, but I think it's no surprise that Hiketeia is held as a classic Wonder Women party partly because it wrestles with such problems.) She clearly identified early on that Wonder Woman herself is a deeply privileged figure, and that the earlier writers from Rebirth onwards never discussed these issues.

Thus I read the implied critique of Wonder Woman in #59, #63, #64, and #66 as less about making Diana appear small, indecisive, or less than morally upright, and more about the way the earlier runs in the Rebirth run has pushed her into such a stance.
    Apparently nobody is when it comes to WW these days.Because she hasn't had a wow moment in what feels forever. And nobody can tellme that this is not a problem when reading the book of a character that si supposed to feel epic and powerful.

Also gww started her run with a who is WW type of story? When it should be vlear who WW is at this point. Also what is the privileged position? She doesn't have a life outside of her hero stuff. She doesn't have a homeland she can return to. She is always going from one family drama after another one. She doesn't seem to have any hobbies or goals outside of fighting evil. Her life seems grey and dull. She doesn't even have that much money since she can't pay Giganta half a million which is not even that much money these days. Where is her priviledged position?

Extraordinary Member

I think she can clearly write well, but so far that has all been for minor characters like the Olympian outcasts.

Wonder Woman is not shown as being physically impressive in a top tier way, she can't seem to resolve a crisis by herself without hugging someone, and she looks like she is going to cry way too often.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I dropped it after a few issues. It felt a bit rushed and I did not really find it that interesting. Which is a shame because Wilson is usually a great writer.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    Also gww started her run with a who is WW type of story? When it should be vlear who WW is at this point. Also what is the privileged position? She doesn't have a life outside of her hero stuff. She doesn't have a homeland she can return to. She is always going from one family drama after another one. She doesn't seem to have any hobbies or goals outside of fighting evil. Her life seems grey and dull. She doesn't even have that much money since she can't pay Giganta half a million which is not even that much money these days. Where is her priviledged position?
    I think Wilson has discussed part of that in interviews, like in the interview prior to #63 at CBR:

Yeah, yeah. I mean yes, they [Cadmus, Damon, Eirene /ed] are getting no special treatment. They are not seen as any kind of protector, or savior, or special case, they have no extraordinary abilities. They just kind of take up room. And it really does challenge us to think about those issues in a different light. What is it like for us schlubs since we have no spectacular ability? But you know, still have to eat, and have roofs over our heads, and all of that. Do the ordinary schlubs deserve the same kind of compassion as well, or what?

So they have a very different experience and we can see even in that issue that Wonder Woman does not fully appreciate how different it is for them than it is for her. I think at least one of them comments on that in the issue. And you know, it's a fun way to see our own world through this wacky lens. What happens when you're a quadruped and you try to sit down and order at a restaurant, and... you know, hijinks ensue. There's definite comedy there. In the comedy we try to ask the real questions.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

I've been thinking about this. If Wilson sees Wonder Woman as privileged, while she likes to represent the unprivileged, would not that be a problem for Wonder Woman in her comic?

I don't read Miss Marvel of Wilson (although I hear that is a good comic), do you know how is the main character in this comic?