Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default PERSONAL mixtapes!

This is a practise that has recently returned, what-with the retro-trend, and all.

And I figure we could use a thread, where we give each other tips on our mixtapes, which we are making for our special someone.

-------------
    EDIT: Just made some changes to the mixtape.

Mixtape: For Someone Special
    -------------------------------
    I'm currently working on a mixtape for a special lady of mine, she's kind of a hipster I guess, so I'm turning a bit hipster for this one, myself. ( but not too much, lol! You'll find my music-taste is unbelievably mainstream.)

Anyways, we have some sort of open relationship or what-have-you right now. I'm not one of her main pics, or choices tho', but she is my main pic at the moment, and I wouldn't mind a proper relationship, actually.

I want to tell her that, on this mixtape, but not too obvious, I guess. It's meant to describe me as well, my likes, my personal quirks.

• 90 minute-tape
    • Songs that I like, and shows my musical taste
    • All 80's songs
    • Songs that describe my feelings about us

For You.

Side 1.
    1. I want it All (2011 remaster) - Queen
    2. Smooth Criminal (radio edit) -
    - Michael Jackson
    3. Don’t Stop Believin’ - Journey
    4. Theme from Superman ( concert version) - John Williams
    5. Human - the Human League
    6. Take on Me - A-ha
    7. Hold the line - Toto
    8. I drove all Night - Cyndi Lauper

Side 2.
    9. The one and Only - Chesney Hawkes
    10. It must have been love - Roxxette
    11. I’m so Excited - the Pointer Sisters
    12. I’d do anything for Love (Radio Edit) -
    - Meatloaf
    13. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode
    14. Forever Young - Alphaville
    15. Like a Prayer - Madonna
    16. Purple Rain -
    - Prince and the Revolution

16 songs, almost feels a bit much, actually. Maybe 14 songs instead?

Any suggestions? Feedback? Feel free to post your own tapes as well, and we'll get right into helping each other out. =)
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 07-30-2014 at 01:25 PM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This is pretty 80s, is that the vibe you're going for? More band than synth, too.

Here are a few suggestions, all should be available on You Tube or something for a listen.

Crazy for you by Madonna. A nice love song, that will sit side by side with the Cyndi Lauper song.

Friday I'm in love or Lovecats by The Cure. I'd probably favour Lovecats myself.

Life's what you make it by Talk Talk. The music is kind of heavy, but it pretty much says what you want and goes nicely with the overall theme.

You've got the love by The Source ft Candi Staton. It's about god, but on a mix tape is easily turned to your needs.

Together in electric dreams by Philip Oakey (sometimes attributed to Human League). A nice synthy romance song.

Is There Something I Should Know by Duran Duran. Synth-pop, and the lyrics are self explanatory.

The Look Of Love (Part 1) or All Of My Heart by ABC. Two more nice romantic songs for this kind of tape.

Maybe avoid Human by Human League. It's a great song, but it's an apology for infidelity. Probably not the image you want to put in her mind. I'd exchange this for (Keep feeling) Fascination, as it's about moving on and being with someone new.

Also, while obviously the Superman Theme is great, it does drag a little. Maybe if you've got a 2-3 minute edit? The full track is, like, 6 minutes on the CD I have.

Let me know what you think, and I'll try and give more selections with a solid base of exactly what you do/don't want. TBH, this is a bit on the nose. Not sure how all-in you're going. Also, any bands you know she likes? That could help.

Dang, I'd be able to help so much better with a home internet connection or my full CD collection (stupid moving house!).

Hmm. Try adding some songs that suggest your interest yet also suggest your sexy capability to go on other dates/move on. You don't want to seem too hung up on her while she plays the field.

"Goodbye Girl" by Squeeze
    "Throw Your Arms Around Me" by Hunters and Collectors - possibly the most beautiful song about a one-night stand ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zON9sg6ADjQ

when you said hipster, i was thinking more neutral milk hotel and the weepies or something.

but yeah, very 80's. are these artists that she likes? or are you picking songs based on how you want to be perceived through the mixtape? there's nothing wrong with that but it seems like it would be helpful to know.

are you going to design something to put in the tape case? that's always a nice touch.

Big cheers to everybody who's pitching in! =)

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    This is pretty 80s, is that the vibe you're going for? More band than synth, too.
    I'm going for a definite 80's feel, want to keep it pure too, real 80's. =) I'm a very mainstream kind of guy, so I mostly like the most obvious ones, from this decade, and in general, it's stuff that I feel, really speaks to me. And yeah, I'm quite corny! xD I love that stuff. Always cry when Charlie Chaplin says his speech at the end of "The Dictator" for instance.

Very on-the-nose. Subtle ain't my style, I guess. Been trying to fight it with this list, but there's no fighting it. She has to accept it.

1. 80's songs.
    2. A display of my music-taste.
    3. Songs that say something about me.
    4. Songs that say something about my thoughts on her, and me.

I figure I'll go with some breaks between songs as well, me mumbling quotes about the songs, that some of the creators have said, at one time or another. For Superman, I'll go with Grant Morrison instead, a quote from his Rolling Stones interview.

"Crazy for you" - Madonna. A nice love song, that will sit side by side with the Cyndi Lauper song.

Friday - "I'm in love" or Lovecats - The Cure. I'd probably favour Lovecats myself.

"Life's what you make it" -Talk Talk. The music is kind of heavy, but it pretty much says what you want and goes nicely with the overall theme.

"You've got the love" - The Source ft Candi Staton. It's about god, but on a mix tape is easily turned to your needs.

"Together in electric dreams" - Philip Oakey (sometimes attributed to Human League). A nice synthy romance song.

"Is There Something I Should Know" - Duran Duran. Synth-pop, and the lyrics are self explanatory.

"The Look Of Love" (Part 1) or "All Of My Heart" - ABC. Two more nice romantic songs for this kind of tape.
    This is some interesting stuff! =) Was thinking about Together in Electric Dreams, actually.

Maybe avoid Human by Human League. It's a great song, but it's an apology for infidelity. Probably not the image you want to put in her mind. I'd exchange this for (Keep feeling) Fascination, as it's about moving on and being with someone new.

Also, while obviously the Superman Theme is great, it does drag a little. Maybe if you've got a 2-3 minute edit? The full track is, like, 6 minutes on the CD I have.

Let me know what you think, and I'll try and give more selections with a solid base of exactly what you do/don't want. TBH, this is a bit on the nose. Not sure how all-in you're going. Also, any bands you know she likes? That could help.

Dang, I'd be able to help so much better with a home internet connection or my full CD collection (stupid moving house!).
    Human, yeah, I get that's what it's about, that's evident. I always liked the message tho', it kind of fits for our 'relationship' or what-have-you. We are who we are, and that's that. We have to accept each other. I always like the male perspective on "Human" as well, "I'm but a man" - really, IMHO, it works for tons of stuff, where there are expectations of some kind.

I'll consider removing it tho', it does feel a bit off right now. Likewise with Superman, it's just the odd-one out, now isn't it? Might have to make a special mix-tape with nothing but orchestral music.
    This version is shorter than 6 min tho', it's actually only 4 min.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo Al View Post
    Hmm. Try adding some songs that suggest your interest yet also suggest your sexy capability to go on other dates/move on. You don't want to seem too hung up on her while she plays the field.

"Goodbye Girl" by Squeeze
    "Throw Your Arms Around Me" by Hunters and Collectors - possibly the most beautiful song about a one-night stand ever. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zON9sg6ADjQ
    True. Some of these songs, are unbelievably melodramatic, and does give the sense that I'm desperate for her. For a little while, that was a thing that creeped up on me, but it's not quite my feeling now. I'm more hesitant, might have to put an end to it even. We'll see how the tape goes.

Quote Originally Posted by saiths View Post
    when you said hipster, i was thinking more neutral milk hotel and the weepies or something.

but yeah, very 80's. are these artists that she likes? or are you picking songs based on how you want to be perceived through the mixtape? there's nothing wrong with that but it seems like it would be helpful to know.

are you going to design something to put in the tape case? that's always a nice touch.
    These are mainly artists that I like - it's more of a showcase of me. I thought about putting some of her stuff in, but our tastes are so different, that I kind of gave up on that. She's a former Goth, so she's into bands like early Cure.

I figured I'd try and do something worthwhile with my own very mainstream, poppy, tastes instead.

It is indeed how I would describe myself, how I want her to perceive me.

And I am definitely going to design something for the tape case! =D I'm a designer and Illustrator actually, so this is right up my alley.

I won't do anything elaborate tho', probably something simple, with symbols derived from the covers of the albums, which I got the songs from. It'll be black, white, red and blue. Simple yet effective. Will be doing the design in Indesign, and then the final version on torn paper, with ink-pens.

'ere be some examples of my style, btw:
    ---------------------------------------------
    Tove Janson Poster
    http://fav.me/d7gg57w

Marilyn Monroe portrait
    http://fav.me/d7gg78x
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 07-30-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Just completed my second draft of my first mixtape. Now, I know a lot of these are pretty corny, and yeah, that's my style, but if you see a song which you know, just isn't good, then please, let me know, suggest a replacement even, I'm all ears. =)

Updated the first post, as well.

For You.

Side 1.
    - Michael Jackson
    6. Take on Me - A-ha
    7. Hold the line - Toto

Side 2.
    - Meatloaf
    16. Purple Rain -

Who uses cassettes these days? A horrible, horrible medium. I'm glad it's dead.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Just completed my second draft of my first mixtape. Now, I know a lot of these are pretty corny, and yeah, that's my style, but if you see a song which you know, just isn't good, then please, let me know, suggest a replacement even, I'm all ears. =)

Updated the first post, as well.

For You.

Side 1.
    - Michael Jackson
    6. Take on Me - A-ha
    7. Hold the line - Toto

Side 2.
    - Meatloaf
    16. Purple Rain -
    I'd absolutely drop track 10 (Roxxette) and replace it with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pTI2VC14Qts

it will "fit" better (between "the one and only" and "I'm so excited"), has the same vibe of the other songs you're picking, and c'mon, it's AWESOME Heaven17.
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Looks like a good set, Johansson.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike-X View Post
    Who uses cassettes these days? A horrible, horrible medium. I'm glad it's dead.
    Congrats on making probably the most pointless post of the day.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    Congrats on making probably the most pointless post of the day.
    Let's not rush to judgement, it's still only early where I am.

Invincible Member

GAWD! This thread makes me feel old. I didn't think young people still made mixtapes for each other. Don't kids just swap illegally downloaded music files these days?

Also, swap Don't Stop Believing for a different song. I'm sure your friend is probably sick of it by now from it's over exposure Red Sox, Sopranos...I'm not a big Journey fan but maybe something like "Just the Same Way?"

Also, what I think of is Goth is different from what young people today think of as Goth is different. But if you want to make another tape and include something closer to her tastes...Cure is a good place to start. Can't miss with Siouxsie and the Banshees. Bauhuas, I'd say either "Bela Lugosi's Dead" or their version of Bowie's "Ziggy Stadust". Nine Inch Nails.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    GAWD! This thread makes me feel old. I didn't think young people still made mixtapes for each other. Don't kids just swap illegally downloaded music files these days?

Also, swap Don't Stop Believing for a different song. I'm sure your friend is probably sick of it by now from it's over exposure Red Sox, Sopranos...I'm not a big Journey fan but maybe something like "Just the Same Way?"

Also, what I think of is Goth is different from what young people today think of as Goth is different. But if you want to make another tape and include something closer to her tastes...Cure is a good place to start. Can't miss with Siouxsie and the Banshees. Bauhuas, I'd say either "Bela Lugosi's Dead" or their version of Bowie's "Ziggy Stadust". Nine Inch Nails.
    if you're doing Bauhaus?

She's in Parties is the way to go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QCg4i1f_oDY
    A sandwich is a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal

"Evil people can do some non-evil things, and most of them do. That doesn't mean they aren't evil." -- JeffereyWKramer

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll...yo5eo1_400.gif

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bert View Post
    if you're doing Bauhaus?

She's in Parties is the way to go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QCg4i1f_oDY
    Gosh, it seemed like almost every other video at that time if it wasn't a performance vid, was going for either the german expressionist thing or faux film noir. The 80's, man...

Invincible Member

Also, in praise of cassette tapes

Who remembers when the record industry was claiming that home taping was killing sales?
    Last edited by ed2962; 07-30-2014 at 07:33 PM.

I know it's a little late... but here's a few more...

When in Rome - "The Promise"
    OMD - "If You Leave"
    Thompson Twins - "Hold Me Now"
    The Cure - "Lovesong"
    New Order - "Bizarre Love Triangle"