Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Honestly I won't be mad if they get written out. I dont know anything about her and or if I'll even like her. Random Happy family isnt enough to sell me on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    If the wife and kid get written out/killed off I'm outtttttttttt.

Kon-El being an inapplicable dad/husband works so well.
    Really? To me t doesn't really feel much like a natural progression for Conner to just plop him into this random life with no build-up and with people we don't even know about and who I honestly doubt we will really get to know that well moving forward.

Like, I can't remember a time a "new family that this character formed completely off-screen" trope has ever stuck around that long.
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Oh, geez, I hope they don't go down the Kon and Cassie route again. It seemed like it would be fun back in the PAD series, but the whole thing got kind of tedious in the series that followed.
    Well, comics-wise, Cassie is one of his biggest relationships so I would like to see that acknowledged. Being a fan of the couple is a bonus .

Better that then TimxCassie again.
    The Kid who never had parents now is one.
    Well, technically he has parents, it's just one isn't always the biggest part of his life and the other is one of the biggest Supervillains of the DCU .

And who knows, him being raised by the Kents for a bit might still be canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Really? To me t doesn't really feel much like a natural progression for Conner to just plop him into this random life with no build-up and with people we don't even know about and who I honestly doubt we will really get to know that well moving forward.
    This is why I didn't like the reveal. It's just so random.

Quote Originally Posted by MosSuperman View Post
    This is why I didn't like the reveal. It's just so random.
    True, I'd personally treat it like how I treat married couples in movies. You don't know how or why they got together you just know that they did some point in the past and you just go with it. I'm sure Bendis will fill in the blanks on what happened and how they met. I think the more important thing is how it'll be written from here on out. Exploring the relationship and showing why they're together. I'm not sure it's within Bendis ability to do it, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    True, I'd personally treat it like how I treat married couples in movies. You don't know how or why they got together you just know that they did some point in the past and you just go with it. I'm sure Bendis will fill in the blanks on what happened and how they met. I think the more important thing is how it'll be written from here on out. Exploring the relationship and showing why they're together. I'm not sure it's within Bendis ability to do it, but we'll see.
    I don't think that works as well for comic characters with long and involved personal histories/love lives.

Honestly, I don't think Bendis is going to have the page space and the panel time to be able to convincingly depict Conner's romance to this woman and make her compelling enough to be a character who sticks in the longterm versus Conner's other love interests.

Especially when he still needs to focus on the other Young Justice members.

Interesting development, I kind of like it.

I loved this issue. I'm not 100% sold on him having a family, but I'm definitely excited to know more. So far this book has been really solid.

I wasn’t expecting that when I read this issue that Kon now has wife and kid I’m now wondering what age he is, Im not sure what think about this development yet have wait and see how it goes before I make my mind up about it, Overall I thought it was good issue it just great have Kon back.

Kon93

The baby is a red herring and I'm surprised anybody anywhere thinks this will last because of it. The baby is exactly how SB feels a Super baby should be, it's pulled right out from his own subconscious imo. There isn't even the slightest bit of deviation with the baby at all from baby Clark, it screams "man who has everything", and later giving it up, and for SB getting him SUPER pissed.

I'll play along, I'm sure they will be around for as long as the team is in gemworld, but I'm not even questioning at all that they will BOTH be gone when they leave there.

This whole thing screams artifical character development for SB. He is a hot head and doesn't like rules before he gets here, and now is a slightly older, mature, patient, and thoughtful young adult. Not to mention the pissed off angst he will have to go through when he loses them,watch out world, and lexn

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    How are people not talking about this?

This is just insane stuff. I have no idea where Bendis is going, or whats going to happen between him and Cassie.
    Are you telling me Clark Kent is a grandfather now?

Astonishing Member

I thought this was a really cool premise.

The YJ generation of kids are no longer the Teen Titans age, they're all getting to be about college-age, so while the art is still depicting how youthful they are, it's legit that they start dealing with some young adult stuff. Recently we've had Tim's potential toward higher education. And this going back and showing Conner right before Flashpoint I guess, in that kind of Johns/Manapul run style in Smallville, leans even more into that.

It's pretty cool actually that these kids have gotten up to that age bracket.

Of course in the long run it's also kind of worrisome. I mean the original Titans were in that age bracket for quite a while there, and like ... Wally's family and kids is a huge problem ... Garth's wife and son effectively no longer exist ... Roy and Cheshire might still have a little girl out there but Roy's dead, so there's that. Who even knows where Mal and Karen's kid is presently.

But it's a funny notion to via clones and alternate fantasy realms for Superman and Luthor to have a pseudo-grandkid.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Astonishing Member

I like it and I want it to last as long as possible.

Astonishing Member

It is very, very hard for a character who only exists in a team dynamic to have a family outside of the team dynamic. This could possibly work if he had his own comic.

I also think it's very unlikely to last purely because...how do you permanently intersect a Superman franchise character with Gemworld? Half the time Gemworld can't stand on its own and it's a rough thing to have to rehash for new readers. Going for permanently tying Superboy to Gemworld is a stretch.

I get the feeling this will, one day, go the way of Terry and Donna. There just won't be enough screentime in a teambook for this kind of stuff and someone will get tired of it and want to explore Conner's romantic life without it already being set. We can barely keep Lois and Clark or Barry and Iris together, after all.

It's also weird for him to jump/skip the generation before him into fatherhood and such. Conner is post-Supergirl, post-Titans, etc. The Titans got de-aged but now Conner is the same age as them if he has a kid already. They de-aged an entire generation of pad out the Silver Age JL generation. Roy and Wally aren't old enough to have kids in DC and got retconned as such (heck, Wally couldn't even have a wife), but here's Conner with a kid already? I just don't see this panning out once Bendis leaves YJ.

I don't have a particular opinion on the relationship because the relationship does not exist yet. Maybe Bendis puts together something perfect that would make me accept the death of Cassie and Conner (I doubt it but I'm willing to listen). But he sure has to hit a homerun. It's also possible this is a ruse -- Conner is pretending to be a husband and father to protect this girl and her son or something and it's just a final page stinger to get us all talking. Though the child obviously looks like the most generic Superbaby you could imagine.
    Last edited by Dred; 03-07-2019 at 11:12 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    It is very, very hard for a character who only exists in a team dynamic to have a family outside of the team dynamic. This could possibly work if he had his own comic.

I also think it's very unlikely to last purely because...how do you permanently intersect a Superman franchise character with Gemworld? Half the time Gemworld can't stand on its own and it's a rough thing to have to rehash for new readers. Going for permanently tying Superboy to Gemworld is a stretch.

I get the feeling this will, one day, go the way of Terry and Donna. There just won't be enough screentime in a teambook for this kind of stuff and someone will get tired of it and want to explore Conner's romantic life without it already being set. We can barely keep Lois and Clark or Barry and Iris together, after all.

It's also weird for him to jump/skip the generation before him into fatherhood and such. Conner is post-Supergirl, post-Titans, etc. The Titans got de-aged but now Conner is the same age as them if he has a kid already. They de-aged an entire generation of pad out the Silver Age JL generation. Roy and Wally aren't old enough to have kids in DC and got retconned as such (heck, Wally couldn't even have a wife), but here's Conner with a kid already? I just don't see this panning out once Bendis leaves YJ.

I don't have a particular opinion on the relationship because the relationship does not exist yet. Maybe Bendis puts together something perfect that would make me accept the death of Cassie and Conner (I doubt it but I'm willing to listen). But he sure has to hit a homerun. It's also possible this is a ruse -- Conner is pretending to be a husband and father to protect this girl and her son or something and it's just a final page stinger to get us all talking. Though the child obviously looks like the most generic Superbaby you could imagine.
    Terry and Donna should have never happened in the first place.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Terry and Donna should have never happened in the first place.
    I agree, but it did happen and, eventually, it cratered because Donna is a superhero and this offset, misaligned with her team love life didn't work. For an out of team romance you need a solo title that can focus on it. It's why stuff like Lois and Clark or Wally and Linda or whatever work -- there was an entire other comic that you could straight up dedicate to fleshing out their romance for the readers. How much time are we going to be able to give Conner's new wife and child in a book that's already gasping at breath to feature a very, very big cast?