Page 1 of 45 1234511 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Uncanny X-men #24 Review and Discussion: Emma Dies of Laughter

Hello again! This issue is a doozy, so lets get to it.

We start off with the preview, Shehulk talking to the JGS and Beast revealing he knows where Scotts school is. She Hulk tells them all basically to cut the crap and get Scott. Beast tells Logan where Scott is, and he comments about how the son of a bitch is good. So Storm, Beast, Bobby, and Logan head over.

Cut to the new mutant from last issue, and the huge crater he made last issue. He tries to reactivate his powers, but is unable to. Maria Hill sends in a hologram to try to talk him down, but fails. She sends in a team of Agents, but the mutant's power reactivates, cutting and destroying everything in a giant sphere of energy.

We move to the NXS, where the students comment on seeing the X-jet. Jeen and Emma comment about how unsecret their secret hideout is. Beast asks that some of them return to Westchester for the reading. We cut to Scott, sleeping (nude), being awoken by Storm. She, Bobby, and Beast make some catty comments, and ask Scott to get dressed.

Scott and his team confront the JGS staff, saying he wants no part of it, and how he won't accept anything that Xavier left him (Beast makes a snide comment about "how big of you"). Scott thinks its a trick, but Magik confirms it to be true (She teleported to the JGS, and saw She Hulk, playing a game on her phone, and called it off putting lol) Beast offers a lift, but Scott turns it down, saying he will take his own way there. As the Blackbird leaves, he spots Logan, and they exchange a glance for a secon.

The team converses on who will go, with Jeen wanting to go just to be there, and Celeste wanting to go cause she would pay to watch the drama. Scott denies the students requests. Emma offers to go in his stead. He admits he knows Xavier left them the school, and he has no idea what to do. Magik and Kitty joke on how this might be a chill and low key adventure, lol.

Illyana teleports Scott, Emma, Kitty, and Dazzler to the JGS. As they leave, Hijack suspects its a trap and is woried they will never come back, and Celeste suggests that "We'll have to repopulate the mutant race through procreation. So lets get to work!" Eva agrees as ajoke, but Goldballs doesn't seem too happy.

At the JGS, She Hulk prepares the introduction, and reveals Xavier's first sin: HE MARRIED RAVEN DARKHOLME! Everyone looks stunned, save for Emma, who smiles. As She Hulk attempts to remember who Raven Darkholme is, Emma just erupts into a laughing fit. The rest of the group just glares at her. As Bobby attempts to figure out what the marraige could mean, Beast spots a Shi'ar hologram device in the will's files, and starts it up.

The book ends with a hologram of Charles alerting us of his dark secret, and the mutant that is tied to it. End of story.

Amazing, flawless, and just super fun. The Soap Opera of the X-men continues in full force.

Anka slayed with his facial reactions, making nearly every panel of Emma and Magik and Kitty just gif worthy.

In case anyone was curious, in attentdance for the will reading, it was Scott, Kitty, Magik, Emma, Dazzler, Kurt, Firestar, Beast, Logan, Storm, Bobby, and Rachel.

2 main discussion points stem from the first reveal: Does Mystique inherit the school based on being the wife and sole proprietor of Xavier's estate? And what does this marraige mean for the X-men?

Ultimate Member

Huh, well I really wasn't expecting THAT to be the big reveal. So the obvious question is, why did Xavier do that?

That is beyond ridiculous.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Ultimate Member

Compared to some of the other crap that Xavier's pulled over the years, no not really.

I will admit, I would not have seen that coming. However it does create some interesting story ideas such as the possibility that Mystique now owns the JGS. However I feel it actually helps explain a few things such as why Mystique wanted Cyclops to pay so much but also why she gave birth to Xavier's kid.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Nightcrawler has another dad!!!

BANNED

Now this was more like it. They're not even a paragraph in Xavier's will throws a curve ball. And this one final mission from Xavier looks to be a classic X-Men formula of go find a new mutant, the likes of which no X-Book has done in a looong time.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I will admit, I would not have seen that coming. However it does create some interesting story ideas such as the possibility that Mystique now owns the JGS. However I feel it actually helps explain a few things such as why Mystique wanted Cyclops to pay so much but also why she gave birth to Xavier's kid.
    I want to know WHY exactly he did it? What was his purpose, because he obviously had one?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    Nightcrawler has another dad!!!
    Kurt's family tree is becoming just as complicated/messed up as the Summers or Maximoff's.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I want to know WHY exactly he did it? What was his purpose, because he obviously had one?
    Did they have a relation at all similar to their cinematic counterparts? Just curious.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    Did they have a relation at all similar to their cinematic counterparts? Just curious.
    Not really. In the films, Xavier and Mystique grew up together and have a surrogate brother/sister type of relationship. There's nothing romantic about it.

BANNED

Emma is broken. This issue feels more like a response to the forums assumptions.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Not really. In the films, Xavier and Mystique grew up together and have a surrogate brother/sister type of relationship. There's nothing romantic about it.
    Actually meant that the other way around, I know a lot more about the movies than the comics. Did they have on-again off-again romance in the comics that could have lead to this?

Fantastic Member

Compared to previously dredged up/retconned atrocities like with Danger and Deadly Genesis, this isn't all that damning (I suppose it helps a similar relationship having existed in the past was in Ultimate) and has interesting implications for future interactions. I approve. I also enjoy how the Uncanny team is collectively sassy about things.

I'm somewhere between amused and exasperated.

Amused because really that revelation is kind of hilarious and I will very likely be entertained by what's to come. Exasperated because without even reading the next issues I know which side will get the short end of the stick (again) narrative wise. The pace is still awful also. Three issues to read a testament ? Come on.

Overall, it was a fun read.