Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast

Xavier is rogues dad!!!!!!!! His a jerk for lying to her about helping her with her powers

Quote Originally Posted by anthony_lynch15 View Post
    Does that mean that Cyclops optic blast is actually Blue Steel?
    Only if Logan gets to hansel.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezzi View Post
    Schism is totally editorial mandated. The reason no one has tried to address it, is because Marvel love this whole divided we stand bull.

As long as the X-Men are fighting each other, Marvel doesn't really have to bother thinking up anymore creative villains or really deep story lines. You just throw in some catty BS between everyone favourite characters and it's "gold"!

The problem is it ruins what the core of the X-Men was always about - A family where everyone might not like each all the time, but they'll tolerate one another to get the job done. The motto was any dream worth having, is a dream worth fighting for.

The current X-Men motto - Too busy fighting each other to fight for a dream!

I really feel that this is Morrisson/Whedon's X-Men taken to the extreme. Marvel really believes that what made those books sell was all the juvenile internal conflict, so they've basically now turned all the X-Men into whiny children. To me neither side comes off looking good in this.
    All this sums it up nicely. People who equate snark and back-biting with good stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Likewater View Post
    And yes the Gold team could be given a legitimate gripe against Cyclops.
    Exactly, and they were not. Aaron or no Aaron, there are plenty of other writers for the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    No sorry the blame lies squarely on Jason Aaron whose idea of elaborating on a Gold Schism Book was Shark-**** & Eye Boy and Xorna and BOTA. He even said it was his idea to write those style of books and continued it on to the Amazing X-Men where we saw Pirates.

The reason why Wood or the other writers never touched on the Schism was because we already had two main books that were supposed to be headlining the Goldside. WATXM and Amazing X-Men. In contrast we only had one blue book.

Wood even said his book has nothing to do with Schism when it started. Your hate is misdirected.
    Yet what steps Aaron did take in both Amazing and WatXM to repair Schism have been ignored since. Go figure. Also, who is writing WatXM now? And Amazing? And yet neither are addressing this painfully obvious void? I don't really care about Aaron one way or the other, but like the people who despise Wolverine and Beast for being badly written, I think it's scapegoating. If Aaron is gone because he wasn't delivering on his side of things, why aren't his replacements addressing the problem? Why did CC have his team book pulled out from under him? Stinks of mandate to me.
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 08-01-2014 at 08:46 PM.

I'm buying this solely b/c of Emma. Her reaction was hilarious!

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

I maintain that Hank doesn't care about how morally questionable something is as long as he's in on the secret.
    Keep it a secret from him until it's exposed and there will be hell to pay.
    I hear ya. I totally hear ya. Here's the thing, though. Beast has been whining and wailing about Cyclops for almost five years of our time. Five. Freakin'. Years.

Now, imagine Beast finding out about Brand's dirty secrets some time this fall. Do you truly believe, deep down your heart, that Beast would still be whining and wailing about it in 2019?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    I hear ya. I totally hear ya. Here's the thing, though. Beast has been whining and wailing about Cyclops for almost five years of our time. Five. Freakin'. Years.

Now, imagine Beast finding out about Brand's dirty secrets some time this fall. Do you truly believe, deep down your heart, that Beast would still be whining and wailing about it in 2019?
    That's if Bendis chooses to acknowledge Henry having a girlfriend. Then again, Bendis knows next to nothing about Henry other than "I hate the way I look." Which he stopped having that issue in Grant Morrison's run, by 2/3 the way through the run. One hang up I had with Whedon was he recycling the worn trope "Beast is self conscious about his body" for an entire arc, only to drop it after that first arc. Ellis, Fraction, and Gillen chose to have Henry become so comfortable with his feline form he would joke about it in mock self-depreciation. Under those three writers he really was "Mutant and proud." Too bad no other writer caught on.

I see Henry dead or completely bat-**** evil by the middle of 2015. He'll probably become the next big bad for Uncanny X-Men. He'll be the Magneto to Scott's Xavier.
    Last edited by fod_xp; 08-01-2014 at 10:21 PM.

Top Class Breeding ;) Mr. Brightside's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fod_xp View Post
    That's if Bendis chooses to acknowledge Henry having a girlfriend. Then again, Bendis knows next to nothing about Henry other than "I hate the way I look." Which he stopped having that issue in Grant Morrison's run, by 2/3 the way through the run. One hang up I had with Whedon was he recycling the worn trope "Beast is self conscious about his body" for an entire arc, only to drop it after that first arc. Ellis, Fraction, and Gillen chose to have Henry become so comfortable with his feline form he would joke about it in mock self-depreciation. Under those three writers he really was "Mutant and proud." Too bad no other writer caught on.

I see Henry dead or completely bat-**** evil by the middle of 2015. He'll probably become the next big bad for Uncanny X-Men. He'll be the Magneto to Scott's Xavier.
    He has Avenger protection. He'll be "fine".
    CANON: "Cyclops, the most important mutant in 616" - The scientific community of the 616

That's if Bendis chooses to acknowledge Henry having a girlfriend. Then again, Bendis knows next to nothing about Henry other than "I hate the way I look."
    Does Bendis even care about Beast's on-and-off issues with his appearance? Or the "ZOMG, Scott didn't rescue me instantly" plot point? All I'm seeing is a "Genius douchebag having a psychotic break over his dumber douchebag friend being right about something reeeaaaly important" motif.

I wouldn't call it entirely out of character, but, hey, most X-Men hate it too whenever Cyclops is right.

BANNED

Does Bendis even care about Beast's on-and-off issues with his appearance? Or the "ZOMG, Scott didn't rescue me instantly" plot point? All I'm seeing is a "Genius douchebag having a psychotic break over his dumber douchebag friend being right about something reeeaaaly important" motif.

I wouldn't call it entirely out of character, but, hey, most X-Men hate it too whenever Cyclops is right.
    I subscribe to Morrison's interpretation that Henry suffers from having a Bi-Polar disposition. It really does fit with his entire character continuity. However, Morrison actually went and did research into such topics. For example, in his version of Doom Patrol, Morrison created the character "Crazy Jane" who literally had multiple personalities inside her. Each personality was unique and had its own unique power. To get the character spot on, Morrison went to a Mental Ward and talked to many patients suffering from the more extreme forms of Multiple Personality Disorder.

Morrison's assessment of Henry was that because of his constantly changing physique, the stresses he's been through, and the chemicals Henry took to trigger his mutations early on, that Henry cycles from deep depression to manic episodes of jovial happiness. Morrison also incorporated the dry, dark wit, and dead pan humor because he noticed that learned men and women tend to have that kind of humor as a coping mechanism.

I don't think current writers quite understand these key concepts. Without them, it's really hard to write a proper Henry McCoy.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

For me Beast and Iceman's behaviour can be summed up very easily.
    Both are struggling under the pressure of being an X-Man all these years and neither of them like what they've become.
    This is evidenced by that one time Iceman went nuts and froze the world (while infected by part of an Apocalypse seed). Bobby has clearly repressed a lot of issues.
    And then there's poor Hank who is walking further and further down a morally questionable path with his Illuminati shenanigans, time travel games and more.
    All those negative feeling and rage at themselves needs to go somewhere and who better than the poster boy for dark, brooding and questionable actions.

Plus as far as they're concerned he's done all these things and come out the other end completely fine.
    We know that's not true, but they probably don't.
    They just see him on TV shouting for a mutant revolution, appearing on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine and telling everyone it wasn't his fault or that he'd do it all again.
    All the while they're falling apart and hating themselves and hating the world and hating Scott. Ohhhhhh do they hate Scott!
    (Anyway that wasn't summed up easily, but you get my gist) .
    I agree with you, I’m personally just sick of it. Its reached a point, well far past reached the point where it just poisons the character. Its just not interesting anymore.

I was wondering when someone would mention that.
    Beast now has an entire planet full of people to add to his guilty conscience.
    He's gotta be near to a total mental breakdown at this point!

Poor Hank, when the Watcher calls around to tell you your horrible, you really must have messed things up.
    I wish Bendis would just have him hit rock bottom already so we can see him climb his way back up.
    Agreed again

Schism has always been the main problem with the X-Verse, ever since it's conception characters have been acting like @$$es to fuel it.
    However I don't think it was created to prop up the Gold or the Blue team.
    It was done so Marvel could have some more hero on hero action.
    Because hero fighting hero sells books. Which unfortunately it seems to do.
    I sort of agree with you here and my choice in words wasn’t as accurate as it should have been, I was too busy reappropriating anothers words rather than expressing myself clearly. Schism was totally about hero vs hero fanwank and wasn’t about propping up the gold side. However it was the vehicle used by the gold sides main writer to set up the stories he wanted to tell. And that is my problem with this whole deal. Editorial, Blue side writers and Cyclops all get blamed for the Gold side not having a cohesive narrative when really its simply the fault of the writers. We’ve had ample evidence that editorial will allow a ton of stupid **** through yet people seem to think that they really wouldn’t allow gold side to have a good point because of Cyclops? That Marvel would deliberately tank multiple series just to put over one. It’s a dumb theory. Also it bears repeating, Aaron repeatedly said he was telling the stories he wanted to tell. He had ample oppertunity to show something, he just never did.

What actually makes sense, to me at least, is that the fault lies with the writers. The blue side writers did not dwell on the schism, which most everyone admits was garbage and consequently blue side comes across as more reasonable. While the gold side wallowed in the filth, making stupid speeches and then hypocritically doing what they spoke out against. The same trend followed through AvX, and the fault for gold side shenanagans lies squarely on its own writers, not editorial (other than for not stopping it), not on Cyclops, and not on Bendis.

I don't think current writers quite understand these key concepts. Without them, it's really hard to write a proper Henry McCoy.
    You'd think someone would've bothered to put a "Don't forget, affection-starved, bipolar nutjob." footnote in his character file or something. Fraction wasn't exactly subtle about it when he set up the divide between Henry and Scott, was he?

But then again, the X-Men themselves don't seem to notice either. Just look at the HCT timeline. The X-Men actually thought thought it'd be a great idea to let an affection-starved, bipolar nutjob run the school and not give him any actual support. Man, the X-Men are totally that obnoxious dudebro who won't shut the hell up about how good of a friend he is to everyone after he's had two beers. And yet he won't notice anything about his bros' mood swings, ever.

No wonder the x-douches rrrhate Cyclops so much. The guy's totally honest about how bad he is at noticing this stuff. Oh well.

Lick on, sweet prince. Sea Hound's Avatar

I subscribe to Morrison's interpretation that Henry suffers from having a Bi-Polar disposition. It really does fit with his entire character continuity. However, Morrison actually went and did research into such topics. For example, in his version of Doom Patrol, Morrison created the character "Crazy Jane" who literally had multiple personalities inside her. Each personality was unique and had its own unique power. To get the character spot on, Morrison went to a Mental Ward and talked to many patients suffering from the more extreme forms of Multiple Personality Disorder.

Morrison's assessment of Henry was that because of his constantly changing physique, the stresses he's been through, and the chemicals Henry took to trigger his mutations early on, that Henry cycles from deep depression to manic episodes of jovial happiness. Morrison also incorporated the dry, dark wit, and dead pan humor because he noticed that learned men and women tend to have that kind of humor as a coping mechanism.

Thanks for the post. I hadn't thought about him like that before; and I could never reconcile zany madcap Avenger's beast, with his X-Men persona. Food for thought.
    "Self has no time for this."

I love it. I've always liked Mystique and I hope this turns out to be something close to when Magneto took over as headmaster back in the 80's...

But then again, the X-Men themselves don't seem to notice either. Just look at the HCT timeline. The X-Men actually thought thought it'd be a great idea to let an affection-starved, bipolar nutjob run the school and not give him any actual support. Man, the X-Men are totally that obnoxious dudebro who won't shut the hell up about how good of a friend he is to everyone after he's had two beers. And yet he won't notice anything about his bros' mood swings, ever.
    Dude, It's not the x-men's responsibility to sit around and old Hank's hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    I love it. I've always liked Mystique and I hope this turns out to be something close to when Magneto took over as headmaster back in the 80's...
    Those days are gone sadly, honestly if this approach is gonna happen (again) itd be like the disaster of the Hellfire academy

btw I really like your avater...Rachael?

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Yet what steps Aaron did take in both Amazing and WatXM to repair Schism have been ignored since. Go figure. Also, who is writing WatXM now? And Amazing? And yet neither are addressing this painfully obvious void? I don't really care about Aaron one way or the other, but like the people who despise Wolverine and Beast for being badly written, I think it's scapegoating. If Aaron is gone because he wasn't delivering on his side of things, why aren't his replacements addressing the problem? Why did CC have his team book pulled out from under him? Stinks of mandate to me.
    Aaron had free reign to do whatever the hell he wanted. He addressed the Schism in the very last issue of volume 1 and then reset it all when he started Volume 2 himself. So I'm not sure what you're talking about. Same in Amazing X-Men during Nightcrawlers welcome home party. Wolverine and Cyclops already sat down and spoke about it in volume 1 of WATXM but the animosity was still there.

Finally you are mistaken once more, Aaron didn't go because he wasn't delivering on his side of things. Heck they gave him a second book. He went cause he had too many books to write.

That book should have been controlled by the editors. Maybe they would have reeled his ideas in.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 08-02-2014 at 02:58 AM.