BANNED

Default Gwen was kind of a weak character in ITSV(Spoilers)

Honestly the more I thought about it, the more I felt Gwen as a character is probably the weakest link in the movie.

The film doesn't give any good reason for she appears a week earlier than the other Spiders, or why her Spider-Sense would lead her to Brooklyn Visions before Miles even for his powers and she never does anything to justify showing up there rather than later with, Peni, Noir, and Ham.
    Her scenes with Miles at the school are pretty inconsequential and generic enough that they could either be cut entirely or replaced with a different female student with little to no impact on the rest of the film.
    Her supposed "loner" character trait is something we're told about but is never really shown to be true.
    She amazingly never reacts to the fact she meets multiple versions of Peter Parker who ended up getting powers like her despite keeping her comic origin of Peter being her best friend who died after becoming the Lizard.

Maybe it's just because I didn't care much about them trying to give her a romance with Miles(like I didn't when Bendis tried to do it) but overall it just felt like there was some noticeable lazy and bad writing with the character to make it possible.

Astonishing Member

That I feel is mostly a consequence of the movie being a movie. You never have as much time as you want to develop characters and relationships.

BANNED

Honestly it feels less because there wasn't enough but more because the film spent more time than necessary on her during the earlier parts.
    I mean if Gwen had shown up at the same time with Noir, ham and Peni then nearly everything I'm saying would be complete nonissues since those 3 didn't have all that much development but it's not a problem since the film doesn't shoehorn them into parts where they aren't needed like it did Gwen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicer View Post
    Her scenes with Miles at the school are pretty inconsequential and generic enough that they could either be cut entirely or replaced with a different female student with little to no impact on the rest of the film.
    My meme compilation heavily disagrees.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Are we talking about power or storyline?. Power/strength, I thought Gwen was one of the strongest. 616 Parker and Miles were struggling badly with Ultimate Doc Oc but out of nowhere Gwen arrives and kicks the crap out of Oc. Gwen, Miles, and Parker were the main three. Gwen did get the least amount of character development but it was supposed to be Mile's Story in a movie with many characters so I can understand why they couldn't dig into Gwen. The other Spider members were there as support.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 03-07-2019 at 01:08 PM.

BANNED

Again Peni, Noir, Ham didn't get much character development either and there was no problem with them, the problem with Gwen is they shoehorn her into the story earlier than needed for no real reason than to have those weird shipping scenes with Miles, and bring up the loner thing for the same reason.

BANNED

I liked Spider-Gwen in the movie. And I loved the half-and-half assymetrical hairstyle, looks really cool and it's about as far from ASM#121 as possible, and that's for the good. There's an entire new generation of fans for whom Gwen is that Gwen, and not Peter's girlfriend and not the girl who died...and also not really the Gwen of 616 but that's no loss.

Incredible Member

She does get sidelined a little bit -- she's sort of a bridge between the two main characters (Miles and Peter B) and the 'everyone else' spiders (Peni, Noir, Ham) -- but I do think she gets a handful of very cool moments. To your point, I think she's essentially there to be "The Girl" unfortunately. She doesn't really have a great reason to be at Visions Academy, or at Alchemex, other than the movie needs her to be there for those moments.

BUT, thankfully, I think Spider-Gwen gets to be center-stage for the sequel, so fingers crossed that we get to spend more time with her and her life.

I actually liked the character, so I don't really have any complaints.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

I didn't like her later hairstyle at all. that aside she does seem to fill a generic role in the movie.

I thought it would've been interesting if they'd explored more of her feelings towards Peter and possibly her guilt over the death of Miles' Peter.

They establish that her best friend was also Peter Parker and died like in the comics, but we never really see that connect to Miles' Peter or Peter B. Parker when she's around them aside from when all the Spiders are going over the people they've lost.

And then I wonder if she feels any responsibility for the death of Miles' Peter. She could have connected with him once she was on his Earth and realized there was a spider-hero like her there, but she didn't and next thing you know he ends up dead because he was one-man fighting against two dangerous villains. Unlike Miles she was actually an experienced hero so she might have been able to help blonde Peter or save him and stop Kingpin's plan earlier.

Obviously it was Miles' story so it was his feelings and connection to what happened that got emphasized, but I'm curious how much of that weighed on Gwen during the movie.