Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Die by Kieron Gillen

We're 4 issues into the first arc of Kieron Gillen's newest trpg comic book and I'm surprised there isn't already a thread talking about. I thought he did some great work with building the mythos of The Wicked and The Divine, but in 4 quick issues, him and Stephanie Hans have crafted a beatiful world that feels fully realized. Not only that, but there's even a trpg accompanying the release of the trade that'll add another layer of depth when examining the characters, their classes, and the characters as their classes. I'd love to get some wild speculation going like what are the deeper secrets of The Neo? Just how powerful is The Dictator? How orderly is the Order of Emotion Knights?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I was just about to start making one of these myself. Stephanie Hans breathes awesome visuals to this book. A lot of times juggling so many fantastical elements can feel off to an extent, but her art has a very unique visual consistency I appreciate. Other artists wouldn't be able to make the Neo work half as well as she does.

I'm in love with Die as both a comics fan, and someone who has role played for as long as they can remember. I'm usually skeptical of Gillen's non-work for hire comics as they usually explore themes that I'm either uninterested in or lack knowledge of. That isn't as much of an issue here, though going by the essays within the issues I may want to do a bit of light reading.

I've been playing tabletop games longer than I've been reading comics. I look at the characters as people I've had sessions with, some friends, some strangers, some I've forgotten, and a handful that I'll never forget. Their situation is dire, but even with only Four issues we can see what they all actually like about this world and how they relate to one another both in and out of the game.

I'm very much excited to read the beta version of the rulebook when the first arc ends. We're uncovering so much through the narrative flow of the comic thus far that we already know much of the general rules, but if I'm going to run Die I'm gonna need the specifics.

All in all it's about fantasy, roleplaying, fantasy roleplaying, the people who enjoy both, and how it can make a lasting impression on them. The fact that it's wrapped in an easy to digest pitch as "Goth Jumanji" is just icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 03-07-2019 at 07:55 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I'm with everyone else, Stephanie Hans' art is breathtaking for this. At times it almost feels like some of the work you'd find inside a D&D sourcebook. I love it. It is just a perfect fit for Gillen's story. My local shop recommends it to everyone that walks in the door.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/2019/03/09/die-4/

Die is one of the best comics on the shelves right now (along with Gideon Falls). I can’t belive we’re only four issues in, it’s just so good!! I used to recommend it to pretty much everyone that would come in the shop, but it’s a bit difficult when that’s resulted in us selling out pretty much every release day
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Yeah, Die sells out fairly quickly at all of the local shops. Generally I haven't been able to get to any of them early enough to get the main Stephanie Hans covers. Not that the alternates aren't lovely though, I would just appreciate the cohesion of having the Hans covers.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Yeah, Die sells out fairly quickly at all of the local shops. Generally I haven't been able to get to any of them early enough to get the main Stephanie Hans covers. Not that the alternates aren't lovely though, I would just appreciate the cohesion of having the Hans covers.
    That sucks! Is it not possible for you to set up a standing order, ensuring there’s always a copy for you?
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them