Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Die by Kieron Gillen

We're 4 issues into the first arc of Kieron Gillen's newest trpg comic book and I'm surprised there isn't already a thread talking about. I thought he did some great work with building the mythos of The Wicked and The Divine, but in 4 quick issues, him and Stephanie Hans have crafted a beatiful world that feels fully realized. Not only that, but there's even a trpg accompanying the release of the trade that'll add another layer of depth when examining the characters, their classes, and the characters as their classes. I'd love to get some wild speculation going like what are the deeper secrets of The Neo? Just how powerful is The Dictator? How orderly is the Order of Emotion Knights?

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I was just about to start making one of these myself. Stephanie Hans breathes awesome visuals to this book. A lot of times juggling so many fantastical elements can feel off to an extent, but her art has a very unique visual consistency I appreciate. Other artists wouldn't be able to make the Neo work half as well as she does.

I'm in love with Die as both a comics fan, and someone who has role played for as long as they can remember. I'm usually skeptical of Gillen's non-work for hire comics as they usually explore themes that I'm either uninterested in or lack knowledge of. That isn't as much of an issue here, though going by the essays within the issues I may want to do a bit of light reading.

I've been playing tabletop games longer than I've been reading comics. I look at the characters as people I've had sessions with, some friends, some strangers, some I've forgotten, and a handful that I'll never forget. Their situation is dire, but even with only Four issues we can see what they all actually like about this world and how they relate to one another both in and out of the game.

I'm very much excited to read the beta version of the rulebook when the first arc ends. We're uncovering so much through the narrative flow of the comic thus far that we already know much of the general rules, but if I'm going to run Die I'm gonna need the specifics.

All in all it's about fantasy, roleplaying, fantasy roleplaying, the people who enjoy both, and how it can make a lasting impression on them. The fact that it's wrapped in an easy to digest pitch as "Goth Jumanji" is just icing on the cake.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 03-07-2019 at 07:55 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I'm with everyone else, Stephanie Hans' art is breathtaking for this. At times it almost feels like some of the work you'd find inside a D&D sourcebook. I love it. It is just a perfect fit for Gillen's story. My local shop recommends it to everyone that walks in the door.

https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/2019/03/09/die-4/

Die is one of the best comics on the shelves right now (along with Gideon Falls). I can’t belive we’re only four issues in, it’s just so good!! I used to recommend it to pretty much everyone that would come in the shop, but it’s a bit difficult when that’s resulted in us selling out pretty much every release day
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Yeah, Die sells out fairly quickly at all of the local shops. Generally I haven't been able to get to any of them early enough to get the main Stephanie Hans covers. Not that the alternates aren't lovely though, I would just appreciate the cohesion of having the Hans covers.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Yeah, Die sells out fairly quickly at all of the local shops. Generally I haven't been able to get to any of them early enough to get the main Stephanie Hans covers. Not that the alternates aren't lovely though, I would just appreciate the cohesion of having the Hans covers.
    That sucks! Is it not possible for you to set up a standing order, ensuring there’s always a copy for you?
    Current Favourites: Ascender, Daredevil, Department Of Truth, Haha, Immortal Hulk, Luna and Strange Academy

Recent Favourites: Coffin Bound, Faithless, Gideon Falls and She Could Fly

They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyKoala View Post
    That sucks! Is it not possible for you to set up a standing order, ensuring there’s always a copy for you?
    It isn't something I've thought about in a long time. I haven't really read enough monthly comics to justify a pull since I was in High School. I could certainly see if one of the local shops would be cool with me pulling only a single monthly title (there was a Ten title, Six month minimum for pull boxes at the shop I frequented in high school). The issue would be choosing the shop then. With Three shops in walking distance from my home I kind of just buy from wherever I'm going to be closer to on a Wednesday afternoon.

I'll let you know what happens.

My local shop lets me maintain a file and I usually only grab the odd limited series. Depends on the shop though I guess.

Haven't actually been to any of the shops to ask in the past few weeks. I'll inquire when I head over on Wednesday for the fifth issue of Die. Granted getting a pull might prove even more awkward considering I might have to move to another province for work in May.

That certainly was one way to end the beginning arc of this story. I have to say that I called the spoilers:
    party slip early on, but I didn't expect the precise division
    end of spoilers or the direct events that lead to it. I love the title of the second arc naturally. Things are going to get more interesting.

We have a bit of wait before the second arc unfortunately, but it'll at least give us all more time to go over the previous arc and do the homework Gillen recommends. I'll most definitely be running a game or two of the beta rules when they come out with the TPB.

Mighty Member

Just blundered across this thread....

I am going to need to check around and see if I can find this series. (Huge fan of Gillen. And, the concept sounds good.)

Alternatively, I might just wait for the compilation.

The issue would be choosing the shop then. With Three shops in walking distance from my home I kind of just buy from wherever I'm going to be closer to on a Wednesday afternoon.
    If there are three stores in a close area, at least one of them will almost certainly let you set up a pull-file with relative ease. (Competition obligates that sort of thing.)

It is nearly impossible to read comics, especially anything not from the big 2, without a pull-file.
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    If there are three stores in a close area, at least one of them will almost certainly let you set up a pull-file with relative ease. (Competition obligates that sort of thing.)

It is nearly impossible to read comics, especially anything not from the big 2, without a pull-file.
    Probably, but like I said when I would only pull one title monthly it's not a big deal. Remember my issue was that the main covers usually went first, that's a minor complaint at its worst. The shop I picked up Five from actually convinced me not to make a pull file for a single comic, he just said that they would usually put one of the covers on the shelf before the other one. He said he'd mix it up in the future so hopefully not all of one cover would be gone by Wednesday afternoon. That works fine for me, like I said I might be moving before the next issue even hits stands.

Comixology, and Hoopla are significantly better options than a shop pull if you're only reading a few titles. I read mostly in digital format, only picking up a single title at any given time in physical issues. I'll buy another title monthly in digital form, and I trade wait a few books as well. Digital or physical for the trades, but space is always an issue so I usually elect for digital unless I just happen to be near a shop at a time when it's on my mind. I usually try out first issues from shops, but for everything else there's Hoopla, and the local library.

I like supporting shops, but I'm not much of a collector or loyalist to titles. I can read anything I want through easier, equally legitimate means. The fact that my current city has several shops is the only reason I buy anything physically.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 04-04-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Mighty Member

Obviously, if you are likely moving, that takes priority.

The shop I picked up Five from actually convinced me not to make a pull file for a single comic, he just said that they would usually put one of the covers on the shelf before the other one. He said he'd mix it up in the future so hopefully not all of one cover would be gone by Wednesday afternoon.
    This blows my mind.

The shop-keeper talked you out of starting a pull-file? He should want to make buying comics as easy and routine as possible, especially if you are only reading a few series. (If you miss an issue, you are more likely to give up on the hobby entirely.)

I avoid digital comics on principle. (But, I sympathize with the space restrictions.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    This blows my mind.

The shop-keeper talked you out of starting a pull-file? He should want to make buying comics as easy and routine as possible, especially if you are only reading a few series. (If you miss an issue, you are more likely to give up on the hobby entirely.)

I avoid digital comics on principle. (But, I sympathize with the space restrictions.)
    Well there wasn't much benefit to him talking me into it I imagine. The shop has a Five title minimum (probably for spatial reasons), and he knows I don't buy many comics regularly but will still try out something new on occasion. No real reason to push a few more titles on me, and risk pushing me away if I still come in and make a few purchases even month or so. He'd probably be way more pushy if he thought I could be a whale, but he knows I'm not going to be buying a dozen Avengers or Batman books a month under any realistic circumstance.

Mighty Member

Well there wasn't much benefit to him talking me into it I imagine. The shop has a Five title minimum (probably for spatial reasons), and he knows I don't buy many comics regularly but will still try out something new on occasion.
    Most stores have minimums as a "screen" to ensure they only give files to reliable customers. Pull-files help secure sales. But, there is an administrative cost, and risk. Most shops will ignore minimums for long-term or otherwise reliable customers.

Even a small pull-file is a start. (If you are consistently buying 1-3 comics, a pull-file makes it easier for you to read/buy more comics later.)

And, I bought the first two issues....and read the first. The last time I bought in for a series like this ("Swordquest"), I got burned. But, I trust Gillen enough. (And, I enjoy the backmatter notes.) If I can find the rest of the series (4 issues?) thus far, I will subscribe.