Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16

    Default

    I've just been picking this one up, but think it's good enough to add to my file. I think my local store is ok with small files provided you actually buy the books he brings in for you. Also, if you're in the store the odds of an impulse buy go up!

  2. #17
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Exactly. Making it easier to buy comics makes it easier to sell them.


    In any case, it seems that "Die" #5 did not just sell out, it has sold through. I buy from a larger store that has some clout, and *they* are out of stock. The manager actually told me he would not be getting more in.

    The problem is that the series had excellent word of mouth (and maybe some pass-through) that was boosting sales, after stores had done their initial counts (which is what stores base later orders on). Issue 5 is where the increased interest and mistakenly low orders coincided.


    Put another way, if you ain't subscribed to this series now, wait for the compilation.
    Current pull-file:
    -House of X
    -Powers of X
    -Superior Spider-Man
    -Transformers

    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

  3. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Exactly. Making it easier to buy comics makes it easier to sell them.


    In any case, it seems that "Die" #5 did not just sell out, it has sold through. I buy from a larger store that has some clout, and *they* are out of stock. The manager actually told me he would not be getting more in.

    The problem is that the series had excellent word of mouth (and maybe some pass-through) that was boosting sales, after stores had done their initial counts (which is what stores base later orders on). Issue 5 is where the increased interest and mistakenly low orders coincided.


    Put another way, if you ain't subscribed to this series now, wait for the compilation.
    Hell yes. I know my LCS has been bringing this series in from the get-go. The owner is a huge fan so he's brought in more than he would usually for a newer book.

    I've also heard that an RPG based on the comic is in the works, can anyone confirm?

    https://sirmarkussite.wordpress.com/2019/04/08/die-5/

  4. #19
    Satoshi K-ON!! Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    Gillen has been developing the RPG system alongside the comic. They kind of influence one another with certain aspects of the system being influenced by the comic's narrative, and aspects of the comic's narrative influenced by the rules of the game. Gillen will be releasing a version of the game to the public when the first arc is collected in June. That's because the game system spoils several parts of the first arc. On sequential storylines we'll be able to read the game rules to speculate.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Die - Excalibur - New Mutants - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY - X-Men

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  5. #20
    Spectacular Member Proto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    245

    Default

    With the first arc complete, I just have to say, Gillen has found his sweet spot. The world of Die really feels so well thought out. The twist at the end just opened up a whole host of questions about the world and its creation. I really can't wait for the next arc and the collected edition so I can get my hands on the rules and have the arc in its entirety.

  6. #21
    Satoshi K-ON!! Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    I'm interested in the multi-level roleplaying aspect of the game. From what I understand is that everyone creates a "persona" that represents the person whose playing the game in the game's "real world" and then you essentially roleplay as that person creating a character for the game within the game that turns out to be the game from the comic. To the point that you're supposed to acknowledge that the game your persona is playing was the exact same game those teenagers were playing in 1991.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Die - Excalibur - New Mutants - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY - X-Men

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  7. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Gillen has been developing the RPG system alongside the comic. They kind of influence one another with certain aspects of the system being influenced by the comic's narrative, and aspects of the comic's narrative influenced by the rules of the game. Gillen will be releasing a version of the game to the public when the first arc is collected in June. That's because the game system spoils several parts of the first arc. On sequential storylines we'll be able to read the game rules to speculate.
    This is super cool. Having an interactive component like this could really add to the series.

  8. #23
    You guessed it mr_crisp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    It is a neat series and I kind of want to stop reading it and wait until comes out in graphic novel form. It's that sort of series I don't want to wait month to month for.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

    Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

    Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

    "This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

  9. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    It is a neat series and I kind of want to stop reading it and wait until comes out in graphic novel form. It's that sort of series I don't want to wait month to month for.
    I hear ya, and with some of the extras they're planning for the trade? It'll be a good one!

  10. #25
    Satoshi K-ON!! Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    I think the essays in the single issues makes the series worth following monthly. Apparently they won't be in the collected editions, not all of them unabridged in any case. With that being said, I might switch to trade waiting in the future. It's just more affordable, and TPBs are a bit less cumbersome than a box of issues.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Die - Excalibur - New Mutants - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY - X-Men

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  11. #26
    You guessed it mr_crisp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I think the essays in the single issues makes the series worth following monthly. Apparently they won't be in the collected editions, not all of them unabridged in any case. With that being said, I might switch to trade waiting in the future. It's just more affordable, and TPBs are a bit less cumbersome than a box of issues.
    The bad thing about trade waiting is what it might do for sales of individual issues but some series are just too good that need to be read at once.
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

    Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

    Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

    "This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

  12. #27
    Satoshi K-ON!! Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    The bad thing about trade waiting is what it might do for sales of individual issues but some series are just too good that need to be read at once.
    As I mentioned previously in the thread, I don't buy many single issues monthly but when there's a series I really like I try at least support the series monthly for the first arc or so. That initial support can make or break many books. I don't think this particular series is going to need the monthly help considering that it's only going for 20 issues or so, but it feels good to know it's been given a good start.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Die - Excalibur - New Mutants - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY - X-Men

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  13. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    As I mentioned previously in the thread, I don't buy many single issues monthly but when there's a series I really like I try at least support the series monthly for the first arc or so. That initial support can make or break many books. I don't think this particular series is going to need the monthly help considering that it's only going for 20 issues or so, but it feels good to know it's been given a good start.
    True, and given how well received it's been I'd say it's probably a safe bet it'll make 20 issues easily.

  14. #29
    Satoshi K-ON!! Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    Die Volume 1 is coming out on Wednesday for anyone whose been trade waiting. I might pick it up myself to see what they've added/removed from the essays.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Die - Excalibur - New Mutants - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY - X-Men

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

  15. #30
    Satoshi K-ON!! Personamanx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,919

    Default

    It appears that while the essays have been re-formatted, nothing has been removed from the text. The page preceding the essay section notes how irregular that is for Kieron Gillen comics. There is also a small design gallery by Stephanie Hans that I don't believe was published in the single issues.

    The beta for the RPG should be up for grabs on his site soon.

    EDIT: RPG Beta can be downloaded here.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 06-05-2019 at 07:58 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

    Die - Excalibur - New Mutants - Once & Future - Runaways - RWBY - X-Men

    Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •