Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    With both planets on a collision in minutes and no third option was ever considered Namor for better or worse was correct. Sun God would have rather seen both universes destroyed to keep his heroic nobility. As they say "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." As to Black Panther breaking down I have no statement on that.
    Well they did phase the Earth to be temporarily intangible in an Avengers Annual recently, I think, the one with Rhodey Stark, the future Iron Woman.

Using an artifact unknown to contemporaries built by Iron Man 3030 on Mars, the Avengers managed to phase the rogue planet, allowing it to coexists with Earth in the same space, saving the inhabited planet.
    http://marvel.wikia.com/Rhodey_Stark_(Earth-12665)

So, they could have tried that again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PocketfulofKryptonite View Post

Not the same thing. That was a in–universe planetoid they managed to absorb in some way inside the Earth. First of all it was inhabited, but more importantly it didn't bring an entire universe behind him. I also think the device was built by future Iron–Man and there was only once instance of it, she didn't share designs to build others with Stark. Also, there are probably al least a thousand ways to solve this problem if you look at the 75+ years of Marvel continuity, and this is true of any story and any problem characters could face.
    Last edited by brainwasher; 08-03-2014 at 09:24 AM.

BANNED

I like how Namor has not changed his position literally in the villain parody version of the first issue and Maximus is in the position Black Bolt held since he likes to think he can be a king just like him. Black Swan in Richard's place makes sense since they've been competing mentally constantly. No planet looming in the background which suggests the incursions may stop with the Cabal involved.

There are lots of parallels in this arc, from the "It matters" repetition by Reed to reassure BP after BP said it in issue 15, BP saying he'd do what what must be done to his father in regards to protecting Wakanda and killing Namor, only for Namor to do what BP wouldn't do when his father demanded it, BP and Black Knight being kind of like African/American parallels of each other, Strange using the demon bound to his soul in him from the annual to tap into even darker arts which explains why he couldn't sell it since it's already basically shared property... there's a lot of good stuff here that will probably read better in a TPB format. I wonder if Reed's diminishing intellect has anything to do with his destiny being bound to BP's after he got re-powered as a King Of The Dead since BP didn't kill the other planet.
    You raise some particularly intriguing questions that warrant further investigation.

You could end the story right here and I'd be happy. Finally a great story with no easy outs where everyone somehow saves face, though I feel having Namor pull the trigger was still playing it safe.
    I get the feeling though, by the way some reactions have all but used the words "goodies" and "baddies", that some people would be much more at home reading a book about a bunch of Steve Rodger's and Clark Kent's doing the impossibly right 24/7 and winding down the day with hot cocoa and marshmallows. I find this much more fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I have a minor nitpick though, if I remember correctly Hank McCoy practically destroyed a Ghost Box planet during Ellis's run. His refusal here to pull the trigger is odd because he's done some planet killing before.
    I can't imagine interplanetary genocide has the Pringles effect on poor Beast.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Something has got to happen here to redeem what just went on, otherwise this soils the whole Marvel Comics line.
    Holy hyperbole Batman.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    In that case I suggest you this reference, otherwise you won't be able to defend and justify your opinions!
    I prefer this, it works better with this storyline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru6oaMLzXYA

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    With both planets on a collision in minutes and no third option was ever considered Namor for better or worse was correct. Sun God would have rather seen both universes destroyed to keep his heroic nobility. As they say "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." As to Black Panther breaking down I have no statement on that.
    Which is great unless your one of the few. Everyone appreciates the higher speed that a highway allows, that's the greater good for the greater number, but I don't think any of the roadkill does and in effect that's what all those people that Namor murdered just ended up being: roadkill on his path to save what he considers precious.
    Last edited by Mark; 08-03-2014 at 11:34 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Which is great unless your one of the few. Everyone appreciates the higher speed that a highway allows, that's the greater good for the greater number, but I don't think any of the roadkill does and in effect that's what all those people that Namor murdered just ended up being: roadkill on his path to save what he considers precious.
    Exactly what makes this story so controversial, which is why this is one of, if not, Marvel's best book right now (Hawkeye, Thor, and the continued Superior Spider-Man, among a few others, can be put on that level as well).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelAngel0 View Post
    Exactly what makes this story so controversial, which is why this is one of, if not, Marvel's best book right now (Hawkeye, Thor, and the continued Superior Spider-Man, among a few others, can be put on that level as well).
    Hickman's certainly doing a great job as a writer. The fact that so many people are talking and debating his work- whether they like it or not- they have an emotional response to it- and that makes it good writing. I tend to respond to all these kinds of things positively, and I recognize it as good writing. I'm flexible that way. I can see a character I like - Dr. Strange is one of my faves for example and I prefer him to be more Zen- and he's taken a darker turn here- but the writing is good and that trumps everything. If I was Hickman and I'd see a 32 page thread debating my latest 22 page issue, I'd sip on my glass of wine and say to myself "Job well done". Whether people love it or hate it, folks are debating it, so he's doing his job. I personally am loving the story, I only have a few must buys- where I buy on sight without flipping through the book and NA is one of them. (Though I did drop his regular Avengers title...)

BANNED

I agree he's going a great job of raising the issues, now the question is will he address them? And even if he does he's still turned Dr. Strange into a murderer. I'm used to marvel sweeping this stuff under the rug with a lame redemption series so I'm not holding out much hope that Strange and Namor's murders will be dealt with in a meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagreus View Post
    Hickman's certainly doing a great job as a writer. The fact that so many people are talking and debating his work- whether they like it or not- they have an emotional response to it- and that makes it good writing. I tend to respond to all these kinds of things positively, and I recognize it as good writing. I'm flexible that way. I can see a character I like - Dr. Strange is one of my faves for example and I prefer him to be more Zen- and he's taken a darker turn here- but the writing is good and that trumps everything. If I was Hickman and I'd see a 32 page thread debating my latest 22 page issue, I'd sip on my glass of wine and say to myself "Job well done". Whether people love it or hate it, folks are debating it, so he's doing his job. I personally am loving the story, I only have a few must buys- where I buy on sight without flipping through the book and NA is one of them. (Though I did drop his regular Avengers title...)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I agree he's going a great job of raising the issues, now the question is will he address them? And even if he does he's still turned Dr. Strange into a murderer. I'm used to marvel sweeping this stuff under the rug with a lame redemption series so I'm not holding out much hope that Strange and Namor's murders will be dealt with in a meaningful way.
    Well that depends on how long Hickman stays on this book; Hickman isn't known for easy, non-complex conclusions. Anyways, Hickman's Avenger storyline is about to hit it's second/middle big story of his announced 3-part saga run next April, so we've still got a long way to go.

BANNED

Well that depends on how long Hickman stays on this book; Hickman isn't known for easy, non-complex conclusions. Anyways, Hickman's Avenger storyline is about to hit it's second/middle big story of his announced 3-part saga run next April, so we've still got a long way to go.
    Don't know if I've understood you correctly, but next April is the last month of Hickman's run and the "third act" of his story is the on starting in September.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brainwasher View Post
    Don't know if I've understood you correctly, but next April is the last month of Hickman's run and the "third act" of his story is the on starting in September.
    Wait, so what was the second act then? I assumed every act is a big event.

Wait, so what was the second act then? I assumed every act is a big event.
    Everything post-Infinity to now.

Well they did phase the Earth to be temporarily intangible in an Avengers Annual recently, I think, the one with Rhodey Stark, the future Iron Woman.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Rhodey_Stark_(Earth-12665)

That likely wouldn't have worked.

The earth would have to constantly intangible in order prevent the worlds from colliding. Even if that were possible you'd have two universes basically melded together....until the one of the earths has another incursion.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    Reed Richards comes off as pretty dumb in NA, tbh. He didn't think of the infinity gauntlet, didn't think of using a bridge to watch other universes, didn't think of coming to the GS Earth prepared to take them on, didn't think of a way of at least temporarily evacuating the Earth, didn't think of calling other people for help, hasn't come up with anything helpful whatsoever to deal with the incursions, etc.
    All true. Compared to other showings of Reed this one is definitely below the standard.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor