Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Default Marv Wolfman's Night Force

I really enjoyed all three volumes especially the original run drawn by Gene Colan who sets the mood with his artwork so perfectly. I hope DC finally gets around to collecting the first volume in TPB. All three volumes feel like one continuous story because they're not really bogged down by the constant Universe reboots that DC is so fond of. I like that you see Professor Caine at different stages in his life throughout the volumes while Baron Winters and his pet Leopard Merlin never really seem to age. Any other fans of Night Force out there?
    Last edited by Enigmatic Undead; 05-30-2015 at 06:35 AM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Big fan. I think it's Marv's best work. I was really disappointed when DC pulled the collected edition.

Colan was really experimenting with his art at time. After leaving Marvel, where he had gotten fairly complacent on everything not starring Dracula, his art was truly rejuvenated at DC. Nathaniel Dusk is probably his masterwork in the period, but Night Force is right there, in my opinion.

Fantastic Member

Big fan of the Wolfman/Colan Night Force series as well, though It's been years since I read these issues. Colan's artwork was perfect for this horror/fantasy series, and I can't imagine another artist working on this....

I was also extremely disappointed that the planned collected editions of classic NF were cancelled a couple of years ago (a HC & then a later Trade were solicited, but never released). I'm guessing neither got enough pre-orders to justify producing them.

In a perfect world, DC would collect all of Colan's '80's work in one HC or series of Trades, i.e. Night Force, the excellent detective mini-series Nathaniel Dusk, and the underrated sci-fi series Jemm Son of Saturn....

Another huge fan. It's a crying shame this isn't still going. I mean really, from the award winning team of one of the quintessential titles of the 70's, and one the the best horror titles of all time, Tomb of Dracula ?

I've got all the issues but was bummed that there wasn't even enough support for a trade.

Spectacular Member

They were going to reprint it a few years ago... it was so frustrating to see the release date get pushed further and further back and then suddenly it disappeared off of my wish list.

Had some great Gene Colan art work contemporary with his Batman stuff.
    trying to be nicer

DC did get around to collecting it, then changed their minds. Because they're assholes.

Here are some of my favorite Gene Colon pages from the original run.

Last edited by Enigmatic Undead; 05-30-2015 at 06:32 AM.
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Big fan. I think it's Marv's best work. I was really disappointed when DC pulled the collected edition.
    I was a big fan, but it doesn't compare to Tomb of Dracula in my opinion.

Sandy Hausler

ANother huge fan disappointed that we never got a collected edition. I'd even be happy with a Showcase at this point. Colan's artwork looks just as amazing in black and white as it does in colour.

Here are some of Gene Colon's character designs originally featured in Night Force #3

Last edited by Enigmatic Undead; 05-30-2015 at 06:32 AM.

Fantastic Member

Thanks for the great scans, everyone. I suspect those character profiles may have been in a theoretical NF collected edition....

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I was a big fan, but it doesn't compare to Tomb of Dracula in my opinion.

Sandy Hausler
    The best of Marv's ToD was probably better than Night Force, but ToD became very inconsistant the longer it ran. There's a lot of goofiness in the last third of Marv's run, in my opinion, although the final issue was marvelous. I also feel that Marv and Gene were allowed to tell more mature stories in Night Force-- in many ways, it felt like a precursor to books like Hellblazer. ToD, as a product of its time, always felt like it needed to have a fight just to have a fight whereas the resolutions in NF could come in different forms. (Granted, many of those ToD fights are spectacular.) I think NF shows a clear evolution in Marv and Gene's craft, although that evolution has its seeds in ToD.

Don't get me wrong: I love ToD. It's a seminal comic. I just don't treasure all of it. Looking backward, NF also has the advantage of never lasting that long, so it couldn't fall into cliche.

from Swamp Thing #49 Baron Winters interacting with John Constantine

I spoke to Wolfman recently and he mentioned he attempted to purchase the rights to Night Force from DC and that he'd quite happily write nothing but for the rest of his life. Sadly they didnt go for it. Kinda sucks sinc they not doing anything with the property.
    Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic Undead View Post
    from Swamp Thing #49 Baron Winters interacting with John Constantine

Interesting stuff there.

Interesting stuff.
    Pull List: Currently Empty