Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Make some time since x-books were this good and connected

Many of times sexuality on comics are sexualizing women or doing something crazy for shock value. Seeing sex being treated with a serious theme is refreshing. Feels like writers treating the readers as grown ups.
    Yeah, it this series doesn't feel like the writers are trying to reach some non-existent teenage demographic. We're all adults here and it's really nice for us to be able to have frank and adult conversations about sex.

Sure, we have a good laugh over Horny Jail, the Sex Police, snd Apocalypse's Sex Cult, but we're able to do that while still taking the series seriously.

There have been a few times where sex/sexuality has been used well in the X-men. I think of Morrison's run and Matt Fraction's run (all the times Scott and Emma were shown in a sexual embrace ). These books have a different vibe of course from how sex and sexuality has been portrayed in the X-books just by the nature of the story that is being told.

I hope the X-men stay adult and do not try to become cartoony and silly like a lot of recent comics appear.

This whole Age of X-man really hasn't been working for me (neither has Uncanny) but I do keep hoping for the best and waiting for the books to improve (just like old times!)

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    There have been a few times where sex/sexuality has been used well in the X-men. I think of Morrison's run and Matt Fraction's run (all the times Scott and Emma were shown in a sexual embrace ). These books have a different vibe of course from how sex and sexuality has been portrayed in the X-books just by the nature of the story that is being told.

I hope the X-men stay adult and do not try to become cartoony and silly like a lot of recent comics appear.

This whole Age of X-man really hasn't been working for me (neither has Uncanny) but I do keep hoping for the best and waiting for the books to improve (just like old times!)
    I can't really say that Morrison did treated sex as a adult thing. While I didn't read Matt Fraction, he had some problems too

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Um, no.

no character

Extraordinary Member

To be fair, I think making a good story around sex and this sort of stuff is hard. It is so easy for it to get really juvenile. What sets this apart is that it isn't even just about sex, but about love in general.

Apocalypse isn't making his case and shocking people by kissing Kitty passionately, but by using his father-son relationship with Evan to try and appeal to the basic human want and need to be close to your child.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Ol' Apoc sure has the GiFT of gab. Somethin's up with Storm. I've already gotten the impression Nate has taken eXtra care in suppressing her powers, her will. Probably due to her waXin' his ass, during Disassembled's finale. Can't blame the guy for not wantin' to go through that again, and takin' precautions. But here, I'm beginning to think his hold over her might still be hindered...

... and faltering.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 03-10-2019 at 03:26 AM.

I can't really say that Morrison did treated sex as a adult thing. While I didn't read Matt Fraction, he had some problems too
    Just because some may not have liked what happened didn't mean they didn't use it effectively. Go back and read the psychic affair between Scott and Emma. The way they discussed what they were doing, Scott's changed feelings for Jean, etc. I re-read it recently and I think Morrison used sexuality very well with both Scott and Emma. Just look around in your own workplace and you will find affairs. It is not just a device in soap operas, they are extremely common. The use of this form of sexuality I thought was very realistic (how the affair progressed, the seduction, etc).

In Fraction's run (I believe it was his) there were additional sexual moments between Scott and Emma. Not only were they shown in intimate situations, but other characters commented on how they were always doing it. It felt normalized (the idea that the X-men were adults with sex lives). Scott and Emma were showing in a sexual moment also in Phoenix Endsong and shown in bed together in Astonishing X-men. Kitty and Colossus were shown in bed together in X-men Gold but there wasn't a sexual embrace like we have scene multiple times with Scott and Emma.

Just my two cents.

Age of X-man is attempted to be high minded and tad more intellectual than stories we've had in recent years, but remains to be seen if they hit or miss the mark.

BANNED

The highlight of this isn't even about sexuality, it's the fatherhood part. It's doing as good as the Uncanny Annual did the theme. Really digging that scene with Evan and Apocalypse. My issue is that I'm afraid they might reveal him as just a sick manipulator and that cliché will undermine this great scene. What really makes it is how true it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    Ol' Apoc sure has the GiFT of gab. Somethin's up with Storm. I've already gotten the impression Nate has taken eXtra care in suppressing her powers, her will. Probably due to her waXin' his ass, during Disassembled's finale. Can't blame the guy for not wantin' to go through that again, and takin' precautions. But here, I'm beginning to think his hold over her might still be hindered...

... and faltering.
    I got the same impression! Between that panel and her opposition to the others’ vitriol to the Poccy situation, there are definitely some “blasphemous” thoughts whirling around that bald head. Hoping that means she’ll start coming to her senses but in a way less obvious to Nate. She’ll have to be smart about it since after Jean and Laura, we see Benevolent God-Nate has no qualms with a quick mind-wipe. Ol’ fella’s still trying to grow some singed hair back after the last time she awoke from his metal machinations.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Pooky is being an example of postive black masculinity and parenthood to his son. He is more woke than all of the Marvelous Wonder Bread combined.
    Snoop what stash are you consuming to have a way with words?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Same.

Morrison used Scott's fling with Emma to mask the literal PTSD he was experiencing from his former possession. Meanwhile, Emma under the guise of a confidant, used dressing as his current wife as a way to screw him both figuratively and mentally.

Fraction being paired with Land spoke for itself, I can't think of a single memorable scene with them as they were casually and often shown in bed. And the one time it meant anything of substance they were discussing Jean, and that was Pak, Land again notwithstanding.

Just because some may not have liked what happened didn't mean they didn't use it effectively. Go back and read the psychic affair between Scott and Emma. The way they discussed what they were doing, Scott's changed feelings for Jean, etc. I re-read it recently and I think Morrison used sexuality very well with both Scott and Emma. Just look around in your own workplace and you will find affairs. It is not just a device in soap operas, they are extremely common. The use of this form of sexuality I thought was very realistic (how the affair progressed, the seduction, etc).

In Fraction's run (I believe it was his) there were additional sexual moments between Scott and Emma. Not only were they shown in intimate situations, but other characters commented on how they were always doing it. It felt normalized (the idea that the X-men were adults with sex lives). Scott and Emma were showing in a sexual moment also in Phoenix Endsong and shown in bed together in Astonishing X-men. Kitty and Colossus were shown in bed together in X-men Gold but there wasn't a sexual embrace like we have scene multiple times with Scott and Emma.

Just my two cents.

Age of X-man is attempted to be high minded and tad more intellectual than stories we've had in recent years, but remains to be seen if they hit or miss the mark.
    Morrison also had a young latina being sexualized. First she was being sexually abused by her stepfather, the she got on a sexual relationship with Beak because he was being nice to her

X-men always had sexual lives, it was pretty obvious before Fraction. He had Maddie pretend to be Emma to have psychin sex with Scott and all he made was a joke

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Same.

Morrison used Scott's fling with Emma to mask the literal PTSD he was experiencing from his former possession. Meanwhile, Emma under the guise of a confidant, used dressing as his current wife as a way to screw him both figuratively and mentally.

Fraction being paired with Land spoke for itself, I can't think of a single memorable scene with them as they were casually and often shown in bed. And the one time it meant anything of substance they were discussing Jean, and that was Pak, Land again notwithstanding.
    Morrison tried to make the psychic affair just as thoughts, like it was less important than phisical thoughts. And I know from his interview he didn't thought it was cheating.
    The whole pacient/therapist was badly done. Emma never was a therapist and scott knew she had second intentions.
    This is not the typical workplace affair.

Lots of sex with cheesecake service by land. Not great
    Last edited by spirit2011; 03-10-2019 at 06:04 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    I got the same impression! Between that panel and her opposition to the others’ vitriol to the Poccy situation, there are definitely some “blasphemous” thoughts whirling around that bald head. Hoping that means she’ll start coming to her senses but in a way less obvious to Nate. She’ll have to be smart about it since after Jean and Laura, we see Benevolent God-Nate has no qualms with a quick mind-wipe. Ol’ fella’s still trying to grow some singed hair back after the last time she awoke from his metal machinations.
    My guess is that after a few more cracks, the dam will burst, and she'll rock his world once again. Only this time, it'll be LITERALLY. The great pretender's days are numbered, and he's gonna get what's comin' to him, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Pooky is being an example of postive black masculinity and parenthood to his son. He is more woke than all of the Marvelous Wonder Bread combined.
    eh Apoc should have a DNA test...cause Genesis looks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Also cool to see Nature Girl using her powers to conceal her teammates.
    j guess no one noticed the big ass bushes growing rapidly outta nowhere lol

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    The highlight of this isn't even about sexuality, it's the fatherhood part. It's doing as good as the Uncanny Annual did the theme. Really digging that scene with Evan and Apocalypse. My issue is that I'm afraid they might reveal him as just a sick manipulator and that cliché will undermine this great scene. What really makes it is how true it sounds.
    We see in that one panel that Evan doesn't look happy with Apocalypse kissing his forehead. In fact, he looks pained by it.

Apocalypse is a sick manipulator. That's just who he is. And their entire "relationship" isn't even real. Apocalypse isn't Evan's father and I'm not really sure Apocalypse is even able to love anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ororo101 View Post
    Storm is probably trying to speak with Magneto because she realizes that Nate could try something. In the first two issues, Storm seemed pretty down with what was happening, which probably made Nate ignore her. Bad idea.