Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If I work my ass off to see a thing happen for decades, to make a kind of dream come true, and then when it actually does I continue to work to promote it and show support for it until I'm gone, while having people do the same in spaces I can't for me, would I be offended that people already in my circle are continuing my work in my name? If I weren't offended by it, wouldn't it be more problematic to have other people be on my behalf?
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    If I work my ass off to see a thing happen for decades, to make a kind of dream come true, and then when it actually does I continue to work to promote it and show support for it until I'm gone, while having people do the same in spaces I can't for me, would I be offended that people already in my circle are continuing my work in my name? If I weren't offended by it, wouldn't it be more problematic to have other people be on my behalf?
    You're assuming Stan Lee would be okay with this.

Heck, you might be right. But you don't know.

And you can't ask him. Because he is dead.

So let him rest in peace.

If nothing else they should change the name from "The Real Stan Lee". Since it's clearly not the real Stan Lee.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Disney was using it to post details of his life and discussion of his accomplishments.
    No, they weren't. Disney don't run that page. I think the company that does is called POW Entertainment.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    No, they weren't. Disney don't run that page. I think the company that does is called POW Entertainment.
    Oh? My mistake. Pretty important to find the correct culprit.
    So I'll edit the first post. Doesn't the situation much regardless.

If nothing else they should change the name from "The Real Stan Lee". Since it's clearly not the real Stan Lee.
    Exactly, people are looking at that ONLY because we still had it followed from some time before now. Verified accounts are supposed to be verified, the actual person you talk to or thats the intent.

I'm not saying Jimmy dean didn't keep using the recording of his voice to sell sausages when he was gone. They were using his words though.
    This is someone using his account as a sock puppet.

Which goes beyond... this stupid culture war we're all embroiled in all the time. Its just really off putting to me.]

I'm sure there are some people who feel "Why NOT profit off him in death, thats what he was doing in life?" I don't agree with you.

I've reported it to twitter. I'd hope... I'm sure lots of people have, Rarely have I seen things in such bad taste.

(though to be honest Prince's estate using his verified twitter as a market place to sell his guitars seems pretty pathetic as well.)
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Reminds mo of that Orville Redenbacher commercial.

They shouldn't do such a thing, IMO. The memory of Stan Lee deserves better.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Reminds mo of that Orville Redenbacher commercial.

I kept waiting for a punchline.

edit: Calm down everyone.

I went to check out Stan's Twitter.

There have been a few posts since Stan's death, but they've all been talking about Stan and the things he'd done. the closest thing to objectionable it has is the talk about the Captain marvel premiere, but it goes on to talk about how this is the first primere without Stan Lee and how they had a big tribute to him that everybody cheered for.
    Last edited by Alan2099; 03-07-2019 at 06:23 PM.

KFC still uses Colonel Sanders' image in its logos and commercials, though advertising through Stan Lee's account does feel a little different.

The influence of that name and the amount of followers it has gives that account tremendous value in social media presence. We shouldn't be surprised, but it's still really transparent how they're trying to cash in on his social media. It's definitely in bad taste I feel, I guess because Twitter accounts are meant to feel personal.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

Invincible Member

Keep in mind that Stan's daughter was running his business the last few years until he died ( it was his wife before she died). It's unlikely that Stan himself was personally handling anything to do with Twitter. If new posts are appearing under his account, it's probably with either her approval or the approval of whoever else is considered Stan's estate.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I went to check out Stan's Twitter.

There have been a few posts since Stan's death, but they've all been talking about Stan and the things he'd done. the closest thing to objectionable it has is the talk about the Captain marvel premiere, but it goes on to talk about how this is the first primere without Stan Lee and how they had a big tribute to him that everybody cheered for.
    Yeah, they redid the Marvel Studios ident using clips of Stan's cameos instead of the heroes in action.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

POW entertainment had some problems with Stan Lee in the past, but the issue was resolved. A quick look through the Stan Lee site, they do this sort of stuff all the time. Promote the comics and movies. It really seems like they're just trying to get clicks.

As mentioned by Digifiend, they need to change the name, if nothing else. Call it TheStanLeeEstate or something.

It still rubs me the wrong way a bit, but whatever.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Oh? My mistake. Pretty important to find the correct culprit.
    So I'll edit the first post. Doesn't the situation much regardless.

Exactly, people are looking at that ONLY because we still had it followed from some time before now. Verified accounts are supposed to be verified, the actual person you talk to or thats the intent.

I'm not saying Jimmy dean didn't keep using the recording of his voice to sell sausages when he was gone. They were using his words though.
    This is someone using his account as a sock puppet.

Which goes beyond... this stupid culture war we're all embroiled in all the time. Its just really off putting to me.]

I'm sure there are some people who feel "Why NOT profit off him in death, thats what he was doing in life?" I don't agree with you.

I've reported it to twitter. I'd hope... I'm sure lots of people have, Rarely have I seen things in such bad taste.

(though to be honest Prince's estate using his verified twitter as a market place to sell his guitars seems pretty pathetic as well.)
    Jimmie Dean is dead???

Wait. Isn't that him in the commercials?

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Keep in mind that Stan's daughter was running his business the last few years until he died ( it was his wife before she died). It's unlikely that Stan himself was personally handling anything to do with Twitter. If new posts are appearing under his account, it's probably with either her approval or the approval of whoever else is considered Stan's estate.
    This. Or they sold his Twitter account to Marvel or someone. Whichever, it had to have done with the approval of whoever Stan Lee left his estate to, so indirectly, it is at Stan's 'request.' And it probably benefits whoever Stan left his estate too. Besides, Stan was the ultimate sales guy, always pushing Marvel. Maybe it would be different if someone bought his Twitter account and started pushing DC. ;p

It is a little creepy, but no more than seeing Carrie Fisher on screen in the new Star Wars movie, or seeing all the dead writers with posthumous new books (obviously ghost written, ironically).
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Don't really see the big deal.

Stan Lee will fade into oblivion sooner or later, as will we all. But he'd probably have preferred to stick around as long possible.