View Poll Results: Are Storm/Cyclops/Wolverine the big 3 of the X-Men?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Without question, they are the big 3 X-Men

56 61.54%
  • No. The Big 3 includes.. (list who you think in the comments)

35 38.46%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    Which is sad, as the X-Men started to lose their shine after this.
    After M-pox?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    After M-pox?
    The immediate post-Morrison era, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Can'tHexTheX View Post
    I think that way too, it still sold a buch of comics but it started to feel lost and directionless

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Storm is Thor is Wonder Woman: Super-powerful being from another place, mythic and gorgeous. Can be berserk warrior and peaceful friend simultaneously.

Cyclops is Captain America is Superman: Boy scout with a heart of gold. Old timey ideals occasionally slip into pragmatic tactics.

Wolverine is Iron Man is Batman: The superstar augmented with metal accoutrements. Can be a handful, does not often play well with others, but you want him on your side in a scrap.

While the X-Men don't conform as stringently to the "Big Three" concept as much as the Avengers or Justice League, it can and does fit.
    This is pretty spot on.

After M-pox?
    During the 90s

Now that I think about it the X-Men started to lose their appeal after Age of Apocalypse (the first one).
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Spectacular Member Holland Oates's Avatar

I look at the X-Men as having a Big 4 (or Core 4) rather than a Big 3, and they are Cyclops, Jean, Wolverine, and Storm. That being said, I think the heart and soul of the team are Professor Xavier, Cyclops, and Jean.

I agree. The New/X-Treme era was the last exciting phase for me. The franchise has been circling the drain since then(as it did in the post-Claremont 90's to be truthful). We desperately need a new New/X-Treme phase.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

BANNED

I agree. The New/X-Treme era was the last exciting phase for me. The franchise has been circling the drain since then(as it did in the post-Claremont 90's to be truthful). We desperately need a new New/X-Treme phase.
    I don't think we are oing to be getting anything except mimicry of the TAS in anticipation for the new Disney X-films.

I think Morrison could have been better without his fave fanboysm with his pet characters and the right editors saying no. It wasn't the biggest help for the franchise, I would say the biggest problems originate on it

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

It's always kind of artificial to try to create a "trinity"

There are certainly relative tiers of character prominence but I think trying to limit to 3 characters is silly

Jean Grey, Rogue, Kitty Pryde, Psylocke, Jubilee, Gambit are all very popular. Nightcrawler too. Hell, so's Emma Frost.
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

I think Morrison could have been better without his fave fanboysm with his pet characters and the right editors saying no. It wasn't the biggest help for the franchise, I would say the biggest problems originate on it
    While I didn't agree with everything Morrison did, and I do think some of his concepts just went too far to actually work in a shared Marvel Universe, in and of itself it was wildly creative and Claremont's X-Treme made for the perfect complement. Taken together as a 90 odd issue run, only the original Claremont run exceeds it in world-building and character beats. The biggest problems came in Marvel's reaction to his run, namely the whole Decimation event, which completely changed the nature of the mutant concept and the X-Men specifically. The X-Men comics have not ever recovered from that.

I don't think we are oing to be getting anything except mimicry of the TAS in anticipation for the new Disney X-films.
    Yeah, I think it will be years of treading water before we see any vast improvement on the comics side, true. If the MCU X-Films knock it outta the park, then maybe the X-comics will get a next new creative octave, but it might just be too late for that, and we've already seen the zenith of the comics medium. Only time will tell.

BANNED

Yes, it was the reactions to Morrison, more than what Morrison did himself. Decimation was a nuisance and the era that emerged from it, "X-Men is military kingdom", was definitely not what I considered the characters to be about. Then there was the laser-focus on letting readers know how indispensible one individual character exclusively was, which to me, is the antithesis of X-Men.

I think things started turning up with the arrival resurrxion. Not that I don't think some scattered stuff from between Ressurxion and Morrison is worthy and important: i.e. Gillen's book, Wolverine and the X-Kidz vol 1, and Remender's X-Force.

While I didn't agree with everything Morrison did, and I do think some of his concepts just went too far to actually work in a shared Marvel Universe, in and of itself it was wildly creative and Claremont's X-Treme made for the perfect complement. Taken together as a 90 odd issue run, only the original Claremont run exceeds it in world-building and character beats. The biggest problems came in Marvel's reaction to his run, namely the whole Decimation event, which completely changed the nature of the mutant concept and the X-Men specifically. The X-Men comics have not ever recovered from that.
    Like i said on my post, Morrison run originated problems. marvel could had just ignored the millions mutants instead of doing a extermination and also screwing up Wanda with it too.
    Also the focus shifted to like 3 mutants also hurt the franchise

Agreed. M-Day and Decimation was kind of a solution in search of a problem in my view. It was the proverbial bee in Joe Quesada’s bonnet this problem of too many mutants, but I don’t think it really bothered anyone else. So it became an editorially mandated exercise which is precisely why it felt forced and, in my view, didn’t work so well. Even though we did get some good stories out of it, namely Messiah Complex/Second Coming and a couple of really great X-Force runs in the Kyle/Yost/Crain/Choi version spinning out of Messiah Complex and the Remender/Opena version spinning out of Second Coming.