Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 96
  1. #31
    Swiss army nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    364

    Default

    I absolutely am viewing the neutron star feat as SMvFL, as it's a huge outlier for Thor. As for him wrecking a city in the first film, I'll have to check that out. At least to see what the definition of city is here. Thor hasn't shown city destroying capability in any other movie so that would also come under SMvFL. Sokovia has a ton of caveats on it.

    I'll look at the Thor wakanda scene again too,as I don't remember him physically wrecking a ship the size of the one Carol easily took out. Nor does Thor have a strength feat like Carol's rocket scene.

  2. #32
    Writer and editor KJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The U.K.
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I absolutely am viewing the neutron star feat as SMvFL, as it's a huge outlier for Thor. As for him wrecking a city in the first film, I'll have to check that out. At least to see what the definition of city is here.
    It didn't happen.

    He was literally never in a city in his first movie...

    Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I'll look at the Thor wakanda scene again too,as I don't remember him physically wrecking a ship the size of the one Carol easily took out.
    Again, he didn't.

    Towards the end of the battle, he was flying around smashing Stormbreaker into shit, but when it was hitting those ships it was just causing explosions locally within them. Never wrecked them entirely (edit: I mean, it wrecked them to the point that they "no longer functioned", but it didn't obliterate them or anything like that).

  3. #33
    Swiss army nerd
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    It didn't happen.

    He was literally never in a city in his first movie...



    Again, he didn't.

    Towards the end of the battle, he was flying around smashing Stormbreaker into shit, but when it was hitting those ships it was just causing explosions locally within them. Never wrecked them entirely (edit: I mean, it wrecked them to the point that they "no longer functioned", but it didn't obliterate them or anything like that).
    That's what I thought. Glad my memory isn't going! The only places Thor was in the first film were Asgard, the Ice Giants home base and the little town he landed in after being depowered. I might have wrecked a chunk of the ice giants' place, but it was hardly devastated and it was nowhere near city sized.

  4. #34
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    For the sake of discussion, let's say the Thor/Neutron Star feat was an outlier. What are Thor's high-end durability feats?
    Various examples of taking abuse from Hulk with minimal damage would probably be the best. A lot of others have qualifiers. He was on a floating city when it blew up but the force of the explosion was going directly away from him and it seemed to knock him out. He was falling at terminal velocity but managed to get air born and redirecting the last second which seems to have taken a little of!the force out of it. (As I recall it cut away after impact so it isn't clear how dazed it left him or whatever.)

    He's also survived in the vacuum of space. Could!be forgetting some others.

  5. #35
    Writer and editor KJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The U.K.
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Kurse - who, remember, was deflecting Mjonir when it was launched at him with some force, and threw a massive boulder 100 feet across Svartalfheim - was standing above a prone Thor, smashing him repeatedly as he lay on the floor. Thor suffered no lasting damage from that.

  6. #36
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,599

    Default

    Right, Kurse. That's what I was forgetting. I feel like one of the big differences between the good Marvel movies and the bad ones for me is the heroes actually seem to get injured in the good ones.

  7. #37

    Default

    Thor was actually bleeding from Kurse.

    As for the "Thor destroyed a city!" comments, that's just not an accurate way of looking at it. He hit some giants with a fairly generic AoE and it had the tertiary effect of destabilizing an ice shelf that then collapsed domino style for a bit.

    The star feat has some many problems also, but OP has clarified so we dont need to go down that road
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

  8. #38
    Writer and editor KJS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The U.K.
    Posts
    1,577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Thor was actually bleeding from Kurse.
    And from Hulk. And from Thanos. But "no lasting damage" were my words. He was fine literally seconds after.

  9. #39
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,375

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Yeah, but thatís not how they do these things. One scene segues into the next movie. Like the end of Ragnarok segueing into the start of Infinity War.
    But then there's also examples like the first Ant-man movie which showed Cap and Falcon finding Bucky. That turned out to be a scene that took place in the middle of Winter Soldier.

    I'm thinking that'll be the case here as well.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    And from Hulk. And from Thanos. But "no lasting damage" were my words. He was fine literally seconds after.
    Fine is one way of looking at it. Here's my problem with the "lasting damage" comments.

    In /real/ (MMA) combat situations, people get pounded on and bloodied up reeeaaally badly sometimes but then have no "lasting damage" the second the fight is over. Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard as an example. Frankie got dropped FOUR times with blood pouring out of his nose. With a 60 second break between rounds he suddenly wasn't bleeding anymore (noses are weird like that) and was totally coherent.

    By your standards, the brutal beating he recieved caused no real lasting damage.

    My issue with this is that the statement feels like it invalidates the damage inflicted as perhaps less serious than it appears. But if the round hadn't stopped and given Frankie that 60 seconds, Gray could very likely have MURDERED the guy. And that is serious lasting damage indeed.

    Put another way, do you feel Kurse's blows were ultimately incapable of ending Thor's life had he not been interrupted? Or do you think if he was left to keep pounding, Thor would have died?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

  11. #41
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,186

    Default

    I can't help but feel people are overseling Carol's feats a little bit. She's certainly very powerful (especially by MCU standards), but I don't see her as being above Stormbreaker Thor or IG Thanos.

    I also think the whole Ronan ordered his entire fleet to evacuate bit, is kind of making things sound more impressive than they are because said fleet consisted of three bombers (one of which was destroyed) and a few fighters.

    Her most impressive feats were tossing the missile and flying through one of Ronan's ships.

  12. #42
    My Face Is Up Here Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    I can't help but feel people are overseling Carol's feats a little bit. She's certainly very powerful (especially by MCU standards), but I don't see her as being above Stormbreaker Thor or IG Thanos.

    I also think the whole Ronan ordered his entire fleet to evacuate bit, is kind of making things sound more impressive than they are because said fleet consisted of three bombers (one of which was destroyed) and a few fighters.

    Her most impressive feats were tossing the missile and flying through one of Ronan's ships.
    Found this

    https://nerdist.com/article/captain-...o-kevin-feige/

    I know we don't go by writer statements but it does sound like they are setting her up to be the most powerful super being by far. Remains to be seen how far they will take it and if it will obvious or not.
    Power with Girl is better.

  13. #43
    Fantastic Member Tomzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Various examples of taking abuse from Hulk with minimal damage would probably be the best. A lot of others have qualifiers. He was on a floating city when it blew up but the force of the explosion was going directly away from him and it seemed to knock him out. He was falling at terminal velocity but managed to get air born and redirecting the last second which seems to have taken a little of!the force out of it. (As I recall it cut away after impact so it isn't clear how dazed it left him or whatever.)

    He's also survived in the vacuum of space. Could!be forgetting some others.
    Those are good feats. Thanks for replying.

    If I recall correctly, Thor took a face-full of the Bifrost exploding in his face at the climax of Thor. Loki was using the Bifrost Bridge to destroy Jotunheim. Thor remedied this problem by hammering it multiple times, which exposed him to its tremendous energies. He's also shrugged off energy blasts from Gungnir, though it did appear to hurt and disorient him visibly. Moreover, Thor has experience in resisting the harmful effects of Infinity Stones (e.g., the Reality Stone and Power Stone respectively). While the Stones were by no means functioning at full power, it's still impressive. Captain Marvel's photon blasts are comparable at the very least.

    As others have observed, Thor has bounced back after getting clobbered by powerhouses like Kurse, Hulk, and Ultron. I'd peg Captain Marvel's strength somewhere between Kurse and Hulk.

    With these feats accorded, I think Thor has what it takes -- particularly with Stormbreaker in hand -- to stop Carol; however, she is likely to receive a significant upgrade in Endgame. All she needs is an upgrade in the durability department and she'll be winning more in these discussions.
    Witness the legendary battle: GODZILLA vs. BAMBI

  14. #44

    Default

    I didn't see Carol Danvers display any speed feats. And regarding her durability, about 10 minutes before she was flying around destroying bombs, she was getting rocked by her former Kree teammates inside the space ship. Do we disregard this vulnerability because of what she displays 10 minutes later?

  15. #45
    My Face Is Up Here Powerboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by k von doom View Post
    I didn't see Carol Danvers display any speed feats. And regarding her durability, about 10 minutes before she was flying around destroying bombs, she was getting rocked by her former Kree teammates inside the space ship. Do we disregard this vulnerability because of what she displays 10 minutes later?
    To quote the OP

    spoilers:
    "Full power Captain Marvel, without limiters and channeling the full power of the light speed engine - i.e. Tessaract-powered Kree tech"
    end of spoilers

    In other words, what she was by the end of the movie at full power.
    Power with Girl is better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •