Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Kitty Pryde: Shadowcat Appreciation 2019

We're Here to Celebrate the Once and Always Queen

This is a thread to discuss and praise the one and only, Katherine Pryde. All posters must talk about her with the utmost respect or be burned by Lockheed.

Katherine “Kitty” Pryde

Former Aliases:
    Ariel, Sprite

Height:
    5'6”

Weight:
    110 lbs.

Hair color:
    Brown

Eyes:
    Hazel

First appearance:
    X-Men (1st series) #129

Joined the X-Men in:
    X-Men (1st series) #138

Known Relatives:
    Carmen Pryde (father, deceased),
    Theresa "Terri" Pryde (mother),
    Samuel Prideman (grandfather, deceased),
    Chava Rosanoff (great-aunt, deceased)

Group Affiliation:
    X-Men, formerly Xavier Institute staff, Paladins
    (squad advisor), SHIELD, Excalibur

Powers:
    generate molecular repulsion within her body to become ephemeral, allowing her to pass through solid objects, walk on thin air, utilize her distortion effect to scramble electronic systems, and extend her intangibility powers to affect anything she touches, currently trapped in an intangible state
    - formerly employed various weapons such as a katana blade, throwing shuriken, detachable nunchaku in her epaulets, and splintered bone claws as a hand-held dagger and wrist spike

From the nerdy newcomer to the independent leader, Kitty's come a long way. Let's all discuss her journey!

Probably an unpopular opinion but they need to bring her green/yellow costume back! It's so underrated. i feel like it gave her personality. Although the generic, yellow X-costume she's used for so long has grown on me kind of. The green and yellow is honestly probably my favorite though.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    Probably an unpopular opinion but they need to bring her green/yellow costume back! It's so underrated. i feel like it gave her personality. Although the generic, yellow X-costume she's used for so long has grown on me kind of. The green and yellow is honestly probably my favorite though.

I feel like Jean and Banshee have the market cornered on the green and yellow looks. I would prefer a more modern take on her Shadowcat outfit. I'm tired of the yellow pajamas. Even her Guardians costume I like more than her current one.

BANNED

She worked the Star-Lord outfit really well, so I'd create a costume that incorporated a (dark blue) jacket and knee high boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I feel like Jean and Banshee have the market cornered on the green and yellow looks. I would prefer a more modern take on her Shadowcat outfit. I'm tired of the yellow pajamas. Even her Guardians costume I like more than her current one.
    That's a good point, actually. Although Rogue used it after Jean and Banshee and she probably has the most memorable use of it.

The only thing I don't like about the Shadowcat costume is it doesn't really match her personality. I can see a modern take on it being potentially edgy. Maybe if they brightened up the blue it could work. I imagine her wearing something with bright colors.

BANNED

she needs to use a sword again

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

She has one of the most amazing mutations out there for sure

And I love how sort of level-headed and down to earth she is but also kind of sassy. Just a genuine personality
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by comeatmebro View Post
    she needs to use a sword again
    I would also like to see that comeback. Most writers haven't taken full advantage of her ninja skills. In fact I only really remember her using them effectively in the Shadow & Flame mini series.

Kitty loves changing costumes, wouldn't she, doesn't she?
    For the love of dragons shouldn't Kitty have a list of her own?

A shopping list?

In many ways I wish that there was an arc somewhere where Kitty obviously takes a deeper breath for a second.

She was too young. That doesn't make Xavier right about keeping her off the team.

It's just true. She was way too young. ESPECIALLY, considering where she was coming from and how.

Lots of that 80's stuff and Excalibur stuff is painful to revisit now. Kitty was so often the POV and I guess I was young too back then but now...I just feel like not writing her from that actual uncomfortable place in an immediate way is wrong.

Ask Illyana what happens when a kid suddenly skips seven years in what looks like an instant in the Hellfire Club.

If you can ghost through - wouldn't you?

Why isn't so much of the horrifying and horrible stuff that happened to Kitty more creepy?
    So much of it is creepy. Even if it wasn't...think of that...if that stuff is not at all way too much for any kid to survive, if Kitty doesn't even feel all that in an actual way...then who is Kitty Pryde?

Not to mention, being so smart about things...complicates things.

I'd rather she embrace her dancing career that didn't happen than her ninja training. To be honest.
    I'd rather see her practice that art of staying tangible..in her body...in her actual life...without losing her powers...than 'teaching' or 'leading' or 'lecturing' or falling for or rebounding from stuff with super hero guys...and using walls as an excuse when she can just move through them and does...how about Kitty's Labyrinth? There's an arc. She goes into the wall and uh oh?

But then again.

It'd be great if she had enough fun in her life to be angsty about when she's not having any fun.
    Last edited by sungila; 03-08-2019 at 06:55 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

She and Kurt need more BFF time!

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Hello!

I have a question about Shadowcat.

I am wondering what her "natural" state is. I remember reading X-books and she would talk about her phasing powers, and there were times she had to concentrate to use them, implying she was a solid human.

That's from the DC/Marvel crossover between the X-men and Teen Titans. However, in other x-books Kitty talked about focusing her concentration to phase herself or others, or inanimate objects.

Then, in Wolverine #125 we have a meeting between Kitty and Jubilee.

Kitty states that now she needs to concentrate to stay solid. So which is it, is she constantly in phase, or constantly solid? Also, I thought that when she phased, she couldn't breathe, so how would she sleep? She can't concentrate on staying solid during sleep.

Or was all this covered somewhere and I missed it?

BANNED

I think it was after Mutant Massacre and X-Men vs Fantastic Four that her natural state was flipped. These days her natural state is to be unphased again but I don’t think that change was ever explained in a comic.

I feel like that writer didn't know what they were talking about. I'm pretty sure they fixed her at the end of X-Men vs the Fantastic Four.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I think it was after Mutant Massacre and X-Men vs Fantastic Four that her natural state was flipped. These days her natural state is to be unphased again but I don’t think that change was ever explained in a comic.
    Kitty has gone natural state phased twice. Once after the mutant massacre and she got hit with that weird spirit spear by one of the marauders. Sometime before Excalibur ended she had another shock to her system that switched her back to base state solid.

After Kitty was trapped in the bullet and she kept it phased for months in space, when Mageneto returned her to Earth her natural state was to be phased again. Kitty went back to natural state solid after the breakworld guy attacked Utopia before Schism and he hit Kitty with spiritual energy from his empowered form. From that point forward Kitty's natural state is solid again.

Quote Originally Posted by manymade1 View Post
    That's a good point, actually. Although Rogue used it after Jean and Banshee and she probably has the most memorable use of it.

The only thing I don't like about the Shadowcat costume is it doesn't really match her personality. I can see a modern take on it being potentially edgy. Maybe if they brightened up the blue it could work. I imagine her wearing something with bright colors.
    And no mask. The final GOTG costume fits the bill, it's light blue.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman