Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Didn’t read that review, but I thought it was not one of the better Marvel movie. Very generic and by the numbers, with forced attempts at creating genuine charm.
    And isn't that the problem that has plagued Danvers' as Captain Marvel from day one? Okay, I get the problem with her previous wardrobe, but did they really have to put her in such a generic uniform with a bad haircut (the comic book-- not the film)? Then Marvel assigned one mediocre (sorry DeConnick fans) creative team after another -- hoping they something would catch on (never really happened).

Carol's run as Captain Marvel hasn't been lousy, but it hasn't been great either. That pretty much sums up her movie as well.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    The moment she met with Maria and Monica should have been such a visceral moment, where Maria could have broken down, happy to see her best friend alive and sad that she wasn't remembered and Carol feeling terrible because she couldn't remember her, even when she felt she should have. And it fell flat, at least for me. The movie director was so preoccupied by depicting to badasses female characters that he or she forgot to develop them.
    Very astute observation! Maybe that's why I felt the actress playing Maria was so flat. She barely showed any emotion -- even when her long lost friend returned! Perhaps the blame shouldn't be placed on the actress -- and should be place on the director.

We really didn't get much of a sense of Carol's character aside from the fact the men held her down -- and she can only relate to women apparently. Nothing like the well-rounded character from the comics.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    https://cosmicbook.news/captain-marvel-review

It's a bit harsh and toxic, but i agree with him that Gunn and Waititi turned Marvel's cosmic landscape into a joke.

I also was dissapointed by the Captain Marvel movie, even though i like Carol Danvers as a character.

1) Because the movie feels like a filler episode.

2) Because they genderswapped Mar-Vell, one of my favorite characters thanks to the writing of Jim Starlin, and killed him/her off in a flashback.

3) Because they turned Nick Fury into a joke.

4) Because i prefer the Supreme Intelligence to be a giant green potato.

5) Because there are no Kree Sentry robots.

6) Because they turned the Kree into irredeamable villains. I Always liked the Kree because they are kinda like the Imperium from Warhammer 40,000.

7) Because they blew the chance of developing Ronan the Accuser.

8) Because it's based on Deconnick's lackluster run.
    1) I agree

2)I can understand the rage some of the fans, but i didn't mind. Different universes, different situations. It was the easy and lazy way of building a legacy hero. I would be more pissed if what we saw in the movie started to change the story of Mar-Vell in comics.

3)My biggest problem with the movie. Fury was like a sitcom character. Hell, he lost an eye and it took it like it was just a scratch.

4) I liked the idea that Supreme Intelligence looks different in every person. It adds to the mystique and gives me a vibe of Big Brother from 1984.

5)Didn't mind,didn't care. Maybe they will be in the sequel,as a weapon again Danvers.

6)Well, Kree always were racist,warmongering pricks, so no problem.

7)I agree that Ronan was wasted in this film. He was a glorified cameo and the Accusers were pretty lackluster.

8)Never read his run,so i can't tell.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Matt Mcgloin can go fuck himself.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Ok but that's who they sidelined Monica in favor of. She wasn't pushed aside to make Carol more prominent.
    Has Monica really had any meaningful role since Roger Stern left the Avengers? I don't think one character's sidelining and the other's rise to prominence have much to do with each other at all. There's a better argument Monica got sidelined for Sersi, imo.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    That's part of the problem with the comic book community. Willingness to overlook really toxic people because they work on a character you like or say nice things about a character you like.
    Well yeah, that is a problem if you are a part of a"Comic Book Community". If you are a part of a " Comic Book Industry" and view comics as a product to be consumed it falls in line with the thinking that surrounds all your other forms of entertainment.
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-10-2019 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out when everything became so segmented
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    1) I agree

2)I can understand the rage some of the fans, but i didn't mind. Different universes, different situations. It was the easy and lazy way of building a legacy hero. I would be more pissed if what we saw in the movie started to change the story of Mar-Vell in comics.

3)My biggest problem with the movie. Fury was like a sitcom character. Hell, he lost an eye and it took it like it was just a scratch.

4) I liked the idea that Supreme Intelligence looks different in every person. It adds to the mystique and gives me a vibe of Big Brother from 1984.

5)Didn't mind,didn't care. Maybe they will be in the sequel,as a weapon again Danvers.

7)I agree that Ronan was wasted in this film. He was a glorified cameo and the Accusers were pretty lackluster.

HER run. That is Matt Fraction's wife who wrote the run that many say started up Carol.

And yeah the movie could be viewed as filler because of Endgame. If she was not going to be in that movie you probably would have seen a more stand alone film that should have came out before the last Avengers film.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Well yeah, that is a problem if you are a part of a"Comic Book Community". If you are a part of a " Comic Book Industry" and view comics as a product to be consumed it falls in line with the thinking that surrounds all your other forms of entertainment.
    Well most of the toxic folks don't like who is being used now.

You can cry about Carol's 10 different runs or how bad Coates Panther butchering run is-but Marvel is looking at SALES. Of EVERYTHING.

Panther and Miles have bought Marvel OSCARS-Marvel will not let toxic fans stop them from doing whatever with those two.

And what is sad is they attack Marvel for trying new stuff but not DC.

Mera getting a YA Novel is fine but Shuri getting a book is somehow wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Well most of the toxic folks don't like who is being used now.

You can cry about Carol's 10 different runs or how bad Coates Panther butchering run is-but Marvel is looking at SALES. Of EVERYTHING.

Panther and Miles have bought Marvel OSCARS-Marvel will not let toxic fans stop them from doing whatever with those two.

And what is sad is they attack Marvel for trying new stuff but not DC.

Mera getting a YA Novel is fine but Shuri getting a book is somehow wrong.
    Well, you pay the cost to be the boss. That stuff comes with being the industry leader. Heck Dido allegedly said Marvel doesn't have enough talent to cover all the books it prints, but I got that from bleeding cool. I can give you the link if you want. Keep in mind is bleeding cool. As for Panther and Miles? The last I checked Miles isn't replacing Peter. He has his own book. Shuri will operate as BP occasionally but no one actually believes she will replace him.

Not so with Sam Alexander. Instead Marvel found itself in a Hal Jordan/Kyle Rayner situation.

Now the fanbases are waiting around to see who gets the movie. I'm thinking Marvel splits the difference. The character will be Richard Rider but will be a teen. Sam was created by Loeb and Feige doesn't want to give him credit or involve him in any way because Loeb is TV.

By the way, is Black Panther really that bad?
    Last edited by Anthony W; 03-10-2019 at 06:12 PM.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Watched it earlier today and it was pretty much middle-of-the-road when it comes to MCU movies (much means it's pretty good), but I have no idea why some folks try to paint that as a negative. Not every MCU movies need to "re-invent" the franchise in order to be good. It's fucking asinine.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Matt Mcgloin and the other Nova fans from CosmicbookNews are certifiably insane, I've followed their antics from mailing Nova hats to annoying James Gunn. This really seems like a troll thread.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Matt Mcgloin and the other Nova fans from CosmicbookNews are certifiably insane, I've followed their antics from mailing Nova hats to annoying James Gunn. This really seems like a troll thread.
    It is. I'm not actually sure why Mcgloin's opinion is somehow worthy of its own thread.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Matt Mcgloin is probably one of the worst people in the comic book fandom. He's the main driving force that gave Nova fans a bad name. Honestly OP you might need to rethink your priorities. He may "defend" characters, but he's no good to the people in the REAL world.

T'challa was a better character in Civil War when he was on a misguided mission of revenge than in his own movie, imo. I feel that it might similarly benefit Carol to see some action outside of a solo movie. I expect great things from her in the next Avengers movie.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    1) I agree

I think the Kree became more morally grey by the time of Annihilation, especially Ronan, who even got a quirky relationship with Crystal of the Inhumans.

And yeah, the Supremor being a Big Brother-esque entity Is a cool idea.