Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Has Monica really had any meaningful role since Roger Stern left the Avengers? I don't think one character's sidelining and the other's rise to prominence have much to do with each other at all. There's a better argument Monica got sidelined for Sersi, imo.
    She's not had tons of individual development, but she's been ok in the titles in which her appeared. It just bothers me that some fans make it seem like there was this concerted effort to push Monica aside so that Carol could be promoted and that's not quite how it happened. Carol was still Binary and still in semi limbo herself in the mid 90's, when Monica was kinda marginalized. It was Genis who took the CM mantle from Monica and then took her Photon name! But for whatever reason Carol is the character people choose to resent.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Matt Mcgloin is probably one of the worst people in the comic book fandom. He's the main driving force that gave Nova fans a bad name. Honestly OP you might need to rethink your priorities. He may "defend" characters, but he's no good to the people in the REAL world.
    Yes, the CBN guys are wacky and toxic, but i agree with them about Nova or Bendis' horrible run on GOTG (Timelord's reviews are pretty funny), even though i don't approve their arrogant behaviour.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    She's not had tons of individual development, but she's been ok in the titles in which her appeared. It just bothers me that some fans make it seem like there was this concerted effort to push Monica aside so that Carol could be promoted and that's not quite how it happened. Carol was still Binary and still in semi limbo herself in the mid 90's, when Monica was kinda marginalized. It was Genis who took the CM mantle from Monica and then took her Photon name! But for whatever reason Carol is the character people choose to resent.
    I don’t have any issues with Carol as a character, my issues are more with Marvel’s treatment of Monica, unfortunately in recent history when the characters have been involved it seems that Marvel are stuck on the narrative that Monica is a less relevant version of Carol.

Knowing that Monica is in the film is great but at the same time her representation as a child feeds in the narrative that Monica is a little Carol. (I have not seen the film so this is just conjecture). I don’t think Carol should give up the captain Marvel name and I don’t want Marvel to push Carol less, none of those things will benefit Monica at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    T'challa was a better character in Civil War when he was on a misguided mission of revenge than in his own movie, imo. I feel that it might similarly benefit Carol to see some action outside of a solo movie. I expect great things from her in the next Avengers movie.
    That's simply because he was in murder mode and didn't say or do much else other then try to kill Bucky. In his movie he wore many different hats and prayed off his supporting cast so well that I really showed the range of both Tchalla and Chadwick. Which imo is better as we got warrior, King, diplomat, brother, lover, cousin, friend, and revenge. To me his journey was much better in his solo because it had time to show more then one aspect of him. As for this thread? The reviewer in question that this thread was made over needs to get over himself

I’m one of those “lurkers” who barely offer up my opinion on things, but I had to give mine on Captain Marvel.
    It was a pretty decent movie that I’d admit would land in the middle of the pack for MCU offerings: Better than must Phase 1 movies, but not up there with A:IW, BP, CA:CW T3 or the IM1. Its just as good as the GotG movies and SM:HC. 3 ˝ out of 5

As for Brie Larson, I thought she did a commendable job with what she had to work with and I have to totally disagree with some who says that the character was “flat” or lackluster. To me, Carol was the epitome of an “action-junkie” who loved to mix it up and yet, never had a chance to shine. In the vary beginning we see that the mission was her first where she basically had to beg to go.
    She shown her eagerness, her headstrongness, yet her willingness to be a good soldier. I can say that the dialogue with the Starforce wasn’t that great, but I could tell that she really didn’t have any chemistry with them and because of the later revelations you can see why that is.

Once Carol got on Earth, her character and personality shined. It was plain that she was having the time of her life, along with Nick who, before her arrival, was just going through the motion. It was a blast to see Sam Jackson playing Fury in a different, less secretive light.

Her major development happened as soon as she found and talked with her best friend, Maria and her adorable daughter, Monica. Carol was conflicted that she didn’t remember them, upset that her life turned out to be a lie, and totally at ease with Monica. Both Lashana and Akira were excellent. Maybe if the directors allowed a scene or two to see Carol’s internal struggle over her true past vs her manufactured one, that could have benefited her overall arch. But despite not remembering Maria, it was obvious to me that there was a deep connection there.

The cumulation of her development was the last confrontation with the Supreme Intelligence. It, along with Yon-Rogg (Jude Law) tried their hardest to keep her emotions in check and to not dwell on the past. Once she accepted who she really was, she realized her emotions was not a hindrance, but a plus.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Yes, the CBN guys are wacky and toxic, but i agree with them about Nova or Bendis' horrible run on GOTG (Timelord's reviews are pretty funny), even though i don't approve their arrogant behaviour.
    When people excuse or wave off toxic behavior as merely "wacky", that's part of the problem.

Who cares if you agree with them about Nova? Is the fact that you both like the same fictional character really a reason to condone people who are full-on jerks to real life people?

You can still like Nova just fine on your own.

Spectacular Member

You think that's bad? Try to be a fan of Mar-Vell and Genis-Vell.
    A freaking men. Especially with Genis-Vell. His death in Thunderbolts was way too unceremonious of a send-off for him, and he's one of few characters that I actually doubt we'll ever see again, at least for a long time (and he'll probably come back as a villain or something stupid if he does at all).

I partly respect Mcgloin because he's pretty much the only one standing up for Nova and Quasar, and i'm a fan of those characters.
    Never watched jayshockblast? He loves nova and has full videos on him. He also loves darkhawk and got to choose a hero for lego marvel 2 game (as he is a big lego game player on youtube). He picked darkhawk after they told him nova was in the dlc pack. Darkhawk made it into the game!

Have no idea who Matt Mcgloin and by the looks of things, don't really care to. I thought the movie was good. Not the best of the MCU, but by no means the least. Somewhere in the middle. But, most importantly, my 11-year-old daughter, who was ambivalent about it at first (she's gone to every MCU film with me for most of her life, even before she was old enough to remember them, and this one, from the trailers, didn't catch her interest), ended up LOVING it. Begged to go again even as we were leaving the theater. And since my daughter's demographic is the one they were most trying to appeal to, they did their job well.

She loved it enough that she may even start reading comics with a little more fervor after this, and I've been trying desperately to get her involved in comics, with various success, for years. Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl, I've tried it all.

I had this conversation with my husband after the movie (I'm the comic reader between the two of us but like my daughter, he has sportingly gone to every movie with me)... this movie is not meant for Matt Mcgloin or even my husband (who complained that the humor was cheesy and that Carol was ridiculously overpowered but otherwise he liked it) or even for me, who yes, am female, but I'm aged 25 and over. Oh, it's a blockbuster, so Marvel certainly tries to appeal to all four quadrants of the movie marketing demographics. But ultimately, this movie's main audience is that third quadrant, female age 25 and under. People really do need to learn to share. Not every comic related movie has to be geared towards the same audience.
    Last edited by capandkirby; 03-11-2019 at 09:43 AM.

Cosmic Book News has gone from a pretty cool fan site to a stew of misogyny and chauvinism.

That place is a hot-spot of #comicsgate-style hatred.

The stupid thing is they don't even get how they've gone from defending and carrying the torch for some of these classic characters into the proverbial torch-wielding mob. It's sad.

If they were real fans, they'd be defending this Captain Marvel movie instead of attacking it. The Carol Danvers character has been part of cosmic Marvel since 1968 and been a character focused on women's rights since 1977. That they have a problem with this character shows how far Matt Mcgloin and his cohorts have fallen.

Danvers is practically a foundational cosmic Marvel character and her movie really shows us the Kree for the first time, including the Supreme Intelligence. We also finally get Skrulls! This is IT. This is cosmic Marvel writ large, and it's a hit -- $153 million domestic gross on opening weekend! And Mcgloin doesn't like this? He's just a bitter little man, spewing hatred. Marvel and Marvel fandom don't need him, as they just showed with the box office smash Captain Marvel movie.

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Never watched jayshockblast? He loves nova and has full videos on him. He also loves darkhawk and got to choose a hero for lego marvel 2 game (as he is a big lego game player on youtube). He picked darkhawk after they told him nova was in the dlc pack. Darkhawk made it into the game!
    Never heard of him.

@capandkirby did your daughter liked the Kree?

Never heard of him.

@capandkirby did your daughter liked the Kree?
    We didn't talk about the Kree, specifically, I'll ask her when I get home from work tonight.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Exactly. I want Monica to get more attention, but she wasn't sidelined for Carol.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Cosmic Book News has gone from a pretty cool fan site to a stew of misogyny and chauvinism.

That place is a hot-spot of #comicsgate-style hatred.

The stupid thing is they don't even get how they've gone from defending and carrying the torch for some of these classic characters into the proverbial torch-wielding mob. It's sad.

If they were real fans, they'd be defending this Captain Marvel movie instead of attacking it. The Carol Danvers character has been part of cosmic Marvel since 1968 and been a character focused on women's rights since 1977. That they have a problem with this character shows how far Matt Mcgloin and his cohorts have fallen.

Danvers is practically a foundational cosmic Marvel character and her movie really shows us the Kree for the first time, including the Supreme Intelligence. We also finally get Skrulls! This is IT. This is cosmic Marvel writ large, and it's a hit -- $153 million domestic gross on opening weekend! And Mcgloin doesn't like this? He's just a bitter little man, spewing hatred. Marvel and Marvel fandom don't need him, as they just showed with the box office smash Captain Marvel movie.
    While I dont agree with ever negative review, we probably shouldn't call them misogyny and chauvinism for not liking the movie.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    While I dont agree with ever negative review, we probably shouldn't call them misogyny and chauvinism for not liking the movie.
    I don't think that's happening here. You do sometimes see people argue that anyone who doesn't like ______ is sexist (though they're usually clickbait sites that are also best ignored).

But what we're talking about here is someone who just can't stop rooting for the movie to fail and has hated it long before they saw it, and who has also spread rumors that are designed to pit fans against each other (this is the site that spread the completely unfounded rumor that Elizabeth Olsen is upset at being pushed aside for Brie Larson, a fake rumor designed to make Scarlet Witch fans hate a movie she isn't even in). There are plenty of places to look if you just didn't like the movie and want a bad review.