Astonishing Member

Default Sandman Overture 3 SPOILERS/DISCUSSION

Well.

That was a triumph.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

To say the least. Funny, the little tangent that we were discussing about Sandman and rules we were discussing in the Multiversity thread actually comes into play this issue.

Also, I think this was a massive homage to Michael Moorcock. I read the Von Bek stories The War Hound and the World's Pain and City in the Autumn Stars after I had read Sandman, and it was inescapable how much those two Moorcock stories influenced the series. This issue mirrors the plot of the first, and the "city for the stars" is a refernece to the conjunction of stars above Moorcock's mythical city of Tanelorn in the second. It's still uniquely Gaiman-esque, but you can definitely see the tip of the hat.

Astonishing Member

I noticed the rule bit as well; in hindsight, so much of the original series was about rules, transcending and being trapped by them, that it makes sense that it should be echoed in what could well be the final Sandman story.

I've not read much Moorcock, but Gaiman will be the first to tell you of his heavy influence, and Moorcock has always been quite open about it (and okay with it, unlike what he considers to be Morrison's outright pilfering). What little I've read of Moorcock, though, does not have Gaiman's defining talent; his ability to imbue his stories (not just characters, but every facet and element of them) with humanity. Emotions drip off each word, soak through the pages. That is still what makes this issue so special.

That said, the greater sense of world building is something I think quite different for Gaiman, and refreshing. All these lavish worlds and races he's creating or referencing (in the case of Tharn, the GLC, the Super-Pets...also sly nods to Galactus and the Silver Surfer), it's a lot of fun and none of it seems wanton; it feels full, whole, and purposeful every time.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I agree with Gaiman's human touch, so to speak. He's certainly more about the inner lives of his characters than Moorcock, who tends to be more about character types and wild ideas. I would recommend reading War Hound and the World's Pain just to see its influence on Sandman-- it's very much the guidebook for Gaiman's series. It's also Moorcock's best story, in my opinion.

That doesn't diminish anything that Neil has done, and Neil often pays tribute to Moorcock. People will often comment on Gaiman's influences for Sandman, and while Moorcock gets cited, this particular story provides much of the infrastructure that Neil builds upon. It was very striking when I first read it. This issue really seems to celebrate its influence.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I agree with Gaiman's human touch, so to speak. He's certainly more about the inner lives of his characters than Moorcock, who tends to be more about character types and wild ideas. I would recommend reading War Hound and the World's Pain just to see its influence on Sandman-- it's very much the guidebook for Gaiman's series. It's also Moorcock's best story, in my opinion.

That doesn't diminish anything that Neil has done, and Neil often pays tribute to Moorcock. People will often comment on Gaiman's influences for Sandman, and while Moorcock gets cited, this particular story provides much of the infrastructure that Neil builds upon. It was very striking when I first read it. This issue really seems to celebrate its influence.
    Not taking you as diminishing Gaiman at all. Authors are influenced by other authors. All work has its roots in other work. Good work is not diminished by familiarity with said influences, but enhanced. I have no doubt that is the case here, and I'll check out that Moorcock piece.

Thanks for the rec!